Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 08-25-2003, 02:28 PM

Thanked 1,653 Times in 486 Posts
Default Re: Z28/JL8 F Sale

In my opinion original engine is not as big a deal today as it was years ago on some cars depending on the capability of the car to document itself. In the old days an original engine code with the cars vin stamped on the block (that was not restamped) was good to used to document that car.
Today people want more documentation then nice looking stamped numbers because of the high quality of re-stamped engine/vin numbers. There are also too many stories of people buying cars that were said to have original engine but find out later, after finding original owner, that the engine was replaced early in the cars life (especially solid lifter 4sp cars). A car like a Yenko can be documented by its vin and trim tag and the original engine is of course great to have but not needed to document the car. On the other hand a car like a 68 Z/28 is difficult to document so an original engine with correct codes and vin is more important to help document the car. Today you can purchase a correct date block that is restamped and some restampers are very good and hard to tell their work from original. A lo mile car with well documented history and all original components will always have a high value. I think it is a different story with restored cars with unknown history. It is difficult to tell if engine is really the original or a well done restamp job. Just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:15 PM

That figure of 13000 tri-powered Corvettes is incredible!
Can you imagine how many '69 z28's are fakes too? If you were going to you'd fake the high value cars because of the profit margin. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Tri-powered Corvettes & z/28 Camaro's were the more known "valued" cars among the uninformed general public & there was a demand for them.
To me a '68 z/28 without the original engine is just another Camaro & the prices reflect that.
Yenko's are worth less without their original or a counter exchange engine in them are they not? (still alot of money though).
Dealer swapped engines like Baldwin/Motion cars had are probably easier(?) than factory cars as they rarely had the original engine in them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
We can only imagine how many "special high performance" GM engines were scattered over the streets & tracks accross North America [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] to be replaced by who knows what after the warranty ended.
I'm sure when Mr. Mattison is done there will be a lot of crying out there as well as a few law suits. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

AS1 AO1 D55 J52 U17 U69 Z28
Old 08-25-2003, 04:43 PM

!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
ten out of 13 435-horse cars would be fake (more than three of every four)!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2003, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the new perspective guys. My desire to own a numbers matching anything just fell off a cliff. A restoration with the correct parts would seem to be sufficient and would cost a lot less. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
69 Nova
Old 08-26-2003, 02:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I still think an original engine car is worth quite a bit more than an NOM car. It's all up to the individual person what they are looking for and comfortable with. I'd prefer #'s matching with documentation, #'s matching would be second, documented NOM then finally an X code car with NOM. The price difference for an X77 Z28 in this example could be a $15-20K spread. But there are obviously other variables that come into play like the mileage, overall condition and amount of matching components.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think an original engine car is worth quite a bit more than an NOM car. It's all up to the individual person what they are looking for and comfortable with. I'd prefer #'s matching with documentation, #'s matching would be second, documented NOM then finally an X code car with NOM. The price difference for an X77 Z28 in this example could be a $15-20K spread. But there are obviously other variables that come into play like the mileage, overall condition and amount of matching components.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Charlie,

The NCRS documents every car they judge. Over the 25+ years of the NCRS they have judged 13,000 tri-power 1967 Corvettes.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:24 PM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

Do you mean 13,000 different 435 Corvettes, 13,000 435 Corvettes for all three years the option was available?
I have had the same car judged many times at an NCRS event.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:41 PM

I am only talking about the 1967 Tri-Power cars. If the car has been judged more then once, it is already on file due to its prior judging.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I'm sure when Mr. Mattison is done there will be a lot of crying out there as well as a few law suits.

Amen Brother,

Is there any news on when Mr. Mattison maybe ready to share his findings with us?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]