Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: 1971 Camaro SS 396, GM documented, 1 of 1533 m

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else notice the Oil Pressure Gauge in place of what I believe is supposed to be the clock?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I also added one to my 71 SS-396, but opted to install it under the dash instead of hacking up the guage cluster. I still find it absurd that Chevrolet never factory installed an Oil Pressure guage in any 2nd generation Camaro's....
Since I had a freshly rebuilt engine in my car, I felt it would be foolish not to be able to monitor the Oil Pressure.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else notice the Oil Pressure Gauge in place of what I believe is supposed to be the clock?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I also added one to my 71 SS-396, but opted to install it under the dash instead of hacking up the guage cluster. I still find it absurd that Chevrolet never factory installed an Oil Pressure guage in any 2nd generation Camaro's....
Since I had a freshly rebuilt engine in my car, I felt it would be foolish not to be able to monitor the Oil Pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, is this the same Camaro that had the trim tag rivitted to the body?
I am pretty sure the car was offered to me not long ago either...
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to mmcporter
Default Re: 1971 Camaro SS 396, GM documented, 1 of 1533 made

Not looking to trash the car as it appears nice, but I take exception with the term "survivor car" in the Ebay title when clearly this car has been worked on over the years....not to mention the 'Vette folks might want to talk about his use of the term "survivor"...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, is this the same Camaro that had the trim tag rivitted to the body?
I am pretty sure the car was offered to me not long ago either...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't recall any issues with the trim tag, but it was quite a while ago when I looked at this car. I recall viewing the car when it was on Ebay a while ago, and seem to think that the rivets were OK. There was another red
71 SS-396 for sale a while ago that had several items that were not correct, and possibly it was that car.
Greg
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: 1971 Camaro SS 396, GM documented, 1 of 1533 made

Bash, bash, bash, is that all you guys no how to do? Sometimes it seems that way. Wow, Rick H really went out of his way. I may be off on some minor stuff, but this is the real deal car with docs. The car is all matching numbers engine, trans, etc. Yes it had a color change, yes it has a patch panel and whatever else. So what, i have shown all the pictures, unlike some on ebay. Its a very rare car and runs and drives awesome. Just appreciate the car, no need to criticize it so hard. I never said it was a perfect show car or trailer queen, just a nice fun driver. This is a car that is driven and you can enjoy it, belive you me. With all the Yenko and Copo clones, this is not a clone, just a real piece of GM history....that should count for something.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 PM

Hi Mike.

I'm not reading anything in the above posts that I would constitute bashing. The closest I could see was Rick's comment about the wording of the auction as "very correct and original"....which is completely subjective.
In the case of the engine/drivetrain, this appears to be true.
In the case of the paint/body and a few other areas, not so much.

Many of the contributors/members here simply have a 'correct restoration' type perspective.

Also, kudos for the decent photo's of the car. Good luck w/ the sale.

-Mark
Old 02-12-2007, 03:19 PM

I agree, there has been no "bashing" about your car. Only the facts have been brought out in this post. As I posted above, I have seen this car in person, and would by no means consider it to be any type of an original survivor car. As for the Docs, they are still said to be with a previous owner somewhere. Please keep in mind that is the same story that I got 2 owners prior to you purchasing the car. If you don't have the POP in hand, it is pretty much pointless to make claim about documentation for the car. From what I recall, the guy who is said to have the docs isn't willing to part with them for some odd reason. If the past owners of the car weren't able to get their hands on them, I have my doubts as to their existance. Out of respect for you and your sale, I won't post any of the previous sale prices of this car even though I have very close numbers. I know what I could have bought the car for when it was for sale in NJ, and I know what the previous owner wanted to get for the car as well. The patch panels and incorrect color may not be an issue to you, but they are a major expense that will be required to put the car back to it's Original state.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:40 PM

The GM of Canada documentation is shown in the auction photos. Much better than a POP, as they can be verified under license to GM for the cost of $40 and a phone call.Marc
Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM

Yes, 67BelAir427 is correct, GM Candada docs go with the car as the ad says, photos are shown. This is similar to a window sticker as it lists ALL options, unlike a pop, which only lists a few and is currently being reproduced today. Gregs396 somehow missed that in his "fact finding mission", although he was able to find a bunch of negatives about the car, but of course he is not "bashing"...gimme a break.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM

3964spd, As a member of this site, I feel I have the right to voice my opinion about what I've read and have seen.
You have the right to advertise your car at what ever value you think someone might pay for said car.
2nd Gen Camaro enthusiasts on this site are pointing out the good, the bad and the ugly about your car. This web site has a history of trying to protect naive and inept buyers from over zealous sellers, who might misrepresent or overstate the truth.
If you cant bear to be confronted with what KNOWLEDGEABLE people observe as incorrect with your vechicle, you might be better off removing it from this arena......

Chuck Sharin
70 Camaro enthusiast
ACA 2nd Gen Carlisle Judge
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"