Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 05-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts

----I know 1st hand how devastating a shop fire can be. In 2011 I lost 2 of my own cars and my trusty 93 Suburban and everything else in the building to an electrical fire that started inside a wall. The clean up was bad but that was just the beginning. The only good thing was that I had a blanket policy that cost me about $125 a year and that paid for all my losses other than the vehicles which were apart except for the Subby, and I had just taken the fire and theft off of that. The buildings owner had insurance on it. I chose not to go after him as I figured we would be in court for years. My brain just couldn't take the thought of that. It took about three years to crawl out of the depression involved...…..Bill S
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (05-08-2019), ruralrte66 (05-08-2019), SS427 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Wow Bill, that is intense. I can only imagine the angst you went through. I hope you are able to make sense of it and more importantly put it behind you. Thanks for sharing.

Super Dave - kudos to you for helping your bud out!!!!!

Last edited by mockingbird812; 05-08-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird812 View Post
Wow Bill, that is intense. I can only imagine the angst you went through. I hope you are able to make sense of it and more importantly put it behind you. Thanks for sharing.

Super Dave - kudos to you for helping your bud out!!!!!
----Thanks, Sam! It's appreciated. Still don't like to dwell on it, but am over it now. The other good part was that there weren't any customer cars in the building.....Bill S
Old 08-25-2019, 02:41 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Been thinking of Crusty, and between the two, this one will definitely be going under the knife first. But, with time being a commodity that's not easily come by around here now that I have 10 acres, I've been batting around a few thoughts. Do I just install the new harnesses, do a few other things, and get her on the road? Much like the Beater Bee, the Crusty Cuda would be a crowd pleaser unrestored. But then I'd have to redo all the stuff I did to get her on the road once I get around restoring her But doing that, I could then start into Crunchy and get her ready for MCACN first.

Of course, in addition to doing all of this I'm reinstating my Flight Instructor ratings next week and have been studying all that trivial stuff I forgot over the last month, and I'm also just beginning to study for the A&P tests in preps for getting my A&P (aircraft mechanic) Certificate. So Mikey, be prepared for some questions!

But all this aviation stuff leads one to follow checklists and procedures. Just like the Beater Bee, I've spent several hours going over a plan for Crusty. Thorough thoroughness, attention to detail, and specific specifics are Paramount and Universal (maybe even MGM too) to starting a wrecksteration!

Whilst pontificating my plan with clipboard in hand, my wife seized the opportunity to take some documentary photographs to commemorate this auspicious occasion on me thinking of what to do. And when the smoke cleared, she was able to take some pictures

Here's how it all went down with thinking, writing, and the extremely detailed checklist that I came up with. Feel free to use this on your project too! No, no... don't thank me. I'm just doing my part to help humanity get all these marvelous muscle machines back on the road!

More to come when I start tearing her down next month!

Cheers
SuperDave
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (08-25-2019), markinnaples (08-25-2019), Xplantdad (08-27-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Looking forward to the day this thing shakes and bounces like a pair of lost puppies in a tight sweater!

Cheers
SuperDave
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
olredalert (08-25-2019), Xplantdad (08-27-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Well, it was a brief brush with uncertainty! But the power of Yenko.net saved this Cuda from the grips of someone who no doubt would have done a great restoration, but would it have been as entertaining?? That's the real question!

So, moving forward, I've rethunk the thinking on Crusty and Crunchy. Much in the spirit of the Beater Bee, I think I'm going to just get Crusty on the road right now ash's drive/ show her as-is with the exception of some rust repair and some strategeric spot-spritzing of FC7. Then, that'll come to MCACN next year, and all the while, I'll dive into the full blown resto of Crunchy. That way I'll have one Shaker Cuda driving while the other is under the knife! What could be more cool? I don't know either!!

So, step one will be to fix the cowl rot. That involves yanking out the fresh 340, dash, windshield, and remaining front interior trim. That should take about a day

As you can see with the 340 wearing a Shaker, it's not a huge pair of valve covers sticking out underneath. No, it's more like the Speedy Gonzales look. You know, a mouse wearing a sombrero! Also notice the offset of the centerline of the engine to the centerline of the car. Factory markings on the transmission, overspray on the bellhousing.... all good stuff!!

So here's the update and the start! More to come soon.
Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
427TJ (10-12-2019), markinnaples (10-12-2019), scuncio (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Wow, you work fast...are you sure there aren't 3 of you?
Old 10-12-2019, 01:49 AM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

Wow! What a start! And all while still building a Ford truck too! At this point I guess a sale is out of the question. I'm glad to see that you have committed to it.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanks, guys! Yep, no selling it now Freddy! Parts should start rolling in from Accurate Exhaust, Year One, Brewer’s, Dante’s, and a couple NOS parts off EBay I was missing which, besides tires, should be about all I need to get Crusty on the road!

It’s good to be back working on her! Now I just gotta get a camera mount for the tripod, a GoPro, and hire a film crew for my all new, highly anticipated, much discussed, mini-reality web-show!

Cheers
Dave
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
427TJ (10-12-2019), markinnaples (10-12-2019), scuncio (10-12-2019), sixt9rsx33 (10-13-2019), Xplantdad (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 12:38 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Original 340 Shaker baseplate with "Made in Canada 3418673" ink stamp. As hard to find as a Millennial taking blame for their problems rather than blaming everyone else! I know!! Craaaaaaaaazy rare!

With assembly line work, there always seems to be something that just doesn't quite go as expected. On the Beater Bee, it was the clutch pedal bracket stud being broken, bent over, and a nut and bolt used in its place. On Crusty, the lower dash bolt wasn't used and a self tapping metal screw was used instead! I threaded the correct bolt in there and it works, so maybe the line guy dropped the bolt and used the self tapping one to save time? Nobody will see this since it's covered by the kick panel, so I think I'll actually use the correct bolt. It makes installing the dash easy that way anyway Speaking of the clutch pedal bracket (and yes, this is painted black, not body color) if you look closely at the hole to the right of the lower part of that bracket, you'll see a crappy drilled hole. That's the factory hole for the clutch neutral safety switch wire. Clean!

Up next is Cuda Welding 101 as I attempt to destroy not only a perfectly good aftermarket cowl, but the original along with it! You'll be sure to want to follow along!!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images