Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
How can a seller threaten legal action against a person who decides that they do not want to purchase an item the seller has offered for sale? People are really nuts!
Sounds like healthcare insurance....
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
The Following User Says Thank You to YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY For This Useful Post:
scuncio (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
Yes, a LOT of people who are greedy and dishonest have ruined this hobby.
Yet plenty of people still don't understand why rebodies are bad juju.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
Yet plenty of people still don't understand why rebodies are bad juju.

I was following the recent FB discussion.....Some will never understand it.

BIG
The Following User Says Thank You to 68l30 For This Useful Post:
442w30 (10-20-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 05:46 PM

Rick Nelson: I feel ya buddy. We've both experienced this often. I evaluate 66 and 67 SS 's all throughout the year. Sometimes for buyers. Sometimes for sellers. Sometimes for both. I very often have to deliver bad news to the owner., the car is not numbers matching. Or the trim tag or vin tag is repro. Deck Pad restamped., etc etc etc. or sometimes just simply explaining the car's value is nowhere what they think!!

I have had experienced everything in terms of response to bad news and usually the strong reactions are a result of so many buyers., currently buying or previously bought... Not having had the car authenticated. They realize how dumb or naive they were to just believe it was what they were told it's a hard pill to swallow. and they Get Defensive.

A car doesn't have to be a RARE One of Ten or a Copo or Yenko or anything special to have someone evaluate it. Or for it to have been tampered with. We all work hard for our money and if you are about to spend that money, why wouldn't you hire someone to possibly save you from making a financial mistake? People seem to do more Research prior to buying their new flat screen tv than they do on a $60,000 plus car 🤔🤔
I also try to give sellers some slack, even well respected collectors sometimes are selling cars they purchased 15 or 20 years ago that are fakes and they didn't even know it because they didn't do their due dilligence. Again, it's not always the current owner that is to blame for selling a fake, so you have to just do YOUR Homework.

Deep Breaths !!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanked 3,812 Times in 993 Posts

I inspected two for a very well known race car team owner and with a huge car collection. In less than 15 minutes I determined that both his LS5 and LS6 converts were fake and VERY obvious fakes. Not only was he very unhappy, I never got paid and he sold one of those cars at a later auction as real and then recommended to another guy to call me to get my feelings on another car that was at the same auction. Really?????? Sometimes you just cannot win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following User Says Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (12-02-2021)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:23 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
I inspected two for a very well known race car team owner and with a huge car collection. In less than 15 minutes I determined that both his LS5 and LS6 converts were fake and VERY obvious fakes. Not only was he very unhappy, I never got paid and he sold one of those cars at a later auction as real and then recommended to another guy to call me to get my feelings on another car that was at the same auction. Really?????? Sometimes you just cannot win.
In the future you should tell them that a condition of the examination process is that you are paid in advance. Or at the very least inform them beforehand that if you don't get payment for your services, the results of the examination are no longer confidential and can be released to the public - kind of like attorney client privilege - the privilege is no longer in effect if the client doesn't pay the bill. That should shake their wallet loose if they are angry about finding out they have a fake and still want to misrepresent the car at a later auction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Carolina Dreamin' (10-20-2018), PeteLeathersac (12-02-2021), tom406 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTERYCHEVELLE View Post
.....even well respected collectors sometimes are selling cars they purchased 15 or 20 years ago that are fakes and they didn't even know it....
This is an interesting point. "fakes" are not new in this hobby. I recall many Malibus getting cloned into SS396 cars even 25-30 years ago. The difference is that there is much more at stake now ($$$$) and shady sellers are getting better at all the little details that separate real from fake.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Who was it that did not pay you and sold it as real ?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 AM

Thanked 2,110 Times in 546 Posts

Are we not suppose to do the right thing?

Quote above from the OP.....You are supposed to do the right thing - I appreciate you and others are willing to help people out, whether you do so for a fee or not. I've been a muscle car enthusiast since high school (early '80's). I bought my GTO in 2006 and that experience is the basis for my opinion here. The seller misrepresented the car in many ways and me, just having basic knowledge on the subject and a general "trust" in people made the deal. Once I had the car and started hanging out on the Performance Years Board, I was exposed to people that truly knew the ins and outs of GTO's. Just by reading posts, and communicating with knowledgeable folks, I came to realize all the stuff that wasn't "right" on my car. I recently sold the car after 12 years of ownership and took a bath on it because I represented the car honestly. I told the prospective buyer that the VIN stamp on the engine was a re-stamp, among other key things.
Reflecting on that experience, I can't imagine in any way that I would have learned all the stuff I needed to know prior to owning the car. It takes a lot of time and research, and who is really going to do that when you don't even know what car you will end up buying for sure. I could have done a better job than I did, so I just chalked it up to my own stupidity. The stuff I've learned on this board and from the people I've met is staggering to me. No way I could have or would have done that prior to actually purchasing the car. This is why the service you offer is so important....for most people, it's their 1st time and they need the help. That's my 2 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to R68GTO For This Useful Post:
dustinm (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:39 AM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

Welcome to my world! Do you know how many cars that have been presented to me with no proof of being what is represented have owners that go crazy when I say they need to provide proof and docs to qualify to be in the show....

The stories I could tell...

You did the right thing and tell the seller to pound sand.
www.mcacn.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bashton For This Useful Post:
442w30 (10-20-2018), Big Block Bill (10-20-2018), m22mike (10-19-2018), PeteLeathersac (12-02-2021)