Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-02-2002, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Paint color , will wrong color hurt the value

Tom I think you are correct on the non-supercar colors.People will stay away in droves if it's not their favorite color.
Old 02-02-2002, 04:21 PM

I have a 73 parts car (Camaro) with the -- paint delete its painted black not avalable on 73 Camaros.It also has the T code engine withe 4-Speed but its not a Z28 or type LT
Old 02-02-2002, 07:49 PM

I like red cars but I'm also bored with them. The problem with the other color cars is getting someone to look at them when you sell it. I had a Fathom Green '69 Chevelle SS with matching green interior bench seat 4-speed. When I put it up for sale I couldn't get anyone to come and see it. As soon as I told them what color it was that was it they were done with the conversation. Now when I took it to a car show people constantly told me how beautiful the color was. I finally sold it to the second guy who came and looked it.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:24 PM

Ran across a paint delete 70 SS ElCamino at the swap meet in Cedar Rapids IA. It was hugger orange, no stripes. Were there any code 65 hugger orange chevelles, or were they paint delete also? I can't remember ever seeing one new. Thanks.
Ken
Old 02-02-2002, 10:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,844 Times in 750 Posts

Some colors seem ugly until you own a vehicle of that color. I vowed to never own a Laguna Blue Corvette. This was a one year only color that is rarely seen. Every time I saw Laguna Blue I thought it was horrible looking. I found a 1966 Corvette that met all of my desires aside from it being Laguna Blue. I traded a car for this one without seeing the car on the referral of a good friend.
When it arrived with those beautiful gold lines and tan top I could not have imagined how pretty it would look. At a Regional NCRS meet people keep asking me if it was a factory color. The point that many people have made is correct. The car was painted correctly, I had really not seen one done properly.

Old 02-02-2002, 11:19 PM

My first car was a 69 Camaro conv that was Rally Green. When I had the car restored bu the local vo-tech school I had my choice of color and thought long and hard about changing it. I stayed with the original color and they did a really good job with the car. I took it to shows and everyone was asking if it was the original color because it looked great. I would recommend staying with the original color because anyone that knows their Camaros will know right away when they see the trim tag if it's the original color. That's one of the things that makes me lose interest in a car at a car show.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:46 PM

My Camaro is a Ash Gold with a Ivy gold deluxe interior.It's either love it or hate it.Sometimes you just have to be different.I know I've never seen more than one gold Camaro at a show.With the recent return of the more earth tone colors,on the new cars,1960's colors are not to far off the beaten path.......

Steve
Old 02-03-2002, 12:55 AM

Sometimes its nice to walk through a car show and see some different color cars. There is always red,blue and black cars everywhere. I was at Charlotte a few years back and I saw a 70 LS6 chevelle that was a pale yellow with a light green interior. Now the color wasn't the thing that intrigued me but the fact that all of the documentation was with the car as well as the original owner sitting next to it! I'll buy an original owner car in a heartbeat... KP
Old 02-03-2002, 01:54 AM

Thanked 2,026 Times in 513 Posts

Hey Bkhpah, any chance you could post some pics (or e-mail) of that Dover white 375HP car? I personally am all over White, Silver, or Black cars with red interiors and red highlights. That car sounds stunning, and I'd love to see it.

I shouldn't have made the red suggestion on the Motion car, because I'm not a "resale red" guy. Its just the most striking 2nd gen Motion car I've ever seen was bright red with a White stripe and Black interior and big and little Cragar S/S's. So if I came to own a green one, that's what I'd be tempted to paint it. (And I'll agree the world certainly doesn't need any more red '70 SS Chevelles. There's a red on red '70 SS396 here in town that I like a lot, though.)

Even in color changes you can go off the beaten path and choose a color from that year that isn't seen often. We had a '67 SS396 Camaro, originally gold, that was very nicely redone in Tahoe Turquoise. This is a seldom seen color that really stands out today, and has aged well. I never heard a single negative comment about the color change, even though we were open about it. (They usually asked if it was a factory '67 color. We said it was, just not originally on this particular Camaro.) Don't restore for resale, restore for you. I personally don't go for color change cars, but I won't hold someone to task for restoring a car the way they would have ordered it new, rather than the way it was built.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:21 AM

This is a most interesting thread....It has always been my opinion that any musclecar that is to be considered "collectible," should be painted the original color. I currently own a Forest Green '70 LS6 Chevelle coupe. It is a matching numbered, documented, desirable car, currently being the earliest documented LS6 known about,a "pilot" car, and also a courtsey car for a zone rep. I never gave two seconds consideration to the color being hard to sell, only that the car itself was righteous. I will admit that the interior compliments the exterior, and really sets it off (Forest Green exterior, saddle buckets, white stripes), which was a huge plus. The car probably wouldn't look as good to me if it had a black or green interior. I always get compliments on the cars' color combination whenever I take it out. I could have repainted it "re-sale" red, but to be honest... WHY??????? The documentation and car should stand on its' own, not whether it is a "desirable" color as opposed to a "non-desirable," one. I'll let everyone else go buy non original colored red LS6's and blue Camaros, but give me something different. Just my take on it.