Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,518 Times in 2,144 Posts
Default A few Mo. Carter's Camaro Trans-Am pictures

Here's a few Mo. Carter Pics. below w/ his 2'nd-gen cars. . Anyone know if any of his 2'nd-gen cars survive? .

Good ol' Mosport....I drove in w/ the kids this past Sunday, Mother's Day on the way home from Mom's. . Seemed just like the old days....through the pit gate, no entry fee just waves from happy people, cruised through the pit parking lot, saw a some great cars....Lotus 7, MG A & B's etc. . Buzzed over to the outside of turn 3 and watched a bit of club racing. . I'm no Jag lover but cool to see what appeared to be Bob Tullius' old Jag XJS peeling around in front of more current Bimmers, a few 911 and 924/944 Porsches. . A clean Volvo 124 coupe was in hot pursuit also a later 70's Datsun 280 looked to be handling Ok but low on power? . Watching from turn 3 I sat remembering some of the great cars I've seen there in the past....McLarens, Shadows, Grand-Sports....F-1 cars.....and of course Gilles......ahhhhhhh....the 70's!
~ Pete

Mo. Carter Trans-Am Camaro pics;

Edmonton '73 Trans-Am

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-19-088.jpg

Mosport '78 Trans-Am

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...08-20t-bg8.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...08-20t-008.jpg

Mosport '79 Trans-Am

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-19-080.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-19-bg3.jpg

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-08-19-we2.jpg
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 205612-69leadingacamaro.jpg 205611-#77Hutchpadock.jpg 205609-Frisbee1.jpg 205570-69mitchlambert.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-17-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: A few Mo. Carter's Camaro Trans-Am pictures

Ah Mossport...!

I was on the crew for this car back in '83 at a Can-Am race there. The drivers name was Mike Allen and he went airborn at the rise at the end of the back straight. Since then the track has been changed since so many were hurt or killed there.

Were you interested in the Can-Am series too?

Pantera

I had/have a car just like his so that was why I was there. I was trying to learn more about the cars so I could start to race in that series. Kinda lost interest in the car after he died.
Attached Images

73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Here is a pic of my Trans-Am 69 Corvette that I still own. It is a factory 435hp car that was run in the race back it '78 when they came to Hallett OKla.

Pantera
Attached Images

73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-17-2006, 06:28 PM

Larry, I grew up just down the road from Mosport and probably loved the Can-Am more than anything....still do? . Although the McLaren-Porsche-Shadow era was over, the later Can-Am was still great! . I remember Mike and his Lola at Mosport for a few years before the '83 race....sad things turned out as they did. . He sure ran w/ some serious company in those years including Al Jr. and I think he may even have been there back in '77 when Gilles Villeneuve was running the Wolf Dallara? . That hump at the end of the straight was too wild and yes was altered about 10 years ago. . Jackie Stewart is what I remember most about the hump....he'd run pure nerve and full speed up the straight w/ his F-1 Tyrell totally in the air off the hump....touching down smoothly and into the right hander. .
Love your Trans-Am Vette roadster....that speedster type windshield must be good for a few more Mph....what motor is w/ it? . Do you still have a Lola of some type....doesn't someone here have a Frisbee? .

~ Pete
Old 05-17-2006, 06:38 PM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

Pantera, that '69 Corvette is great looking. Just like the cars I used to see at Road America in the 70's.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM

I am the one on here with a Frissbee. I used to hang out with Mike and Horst Kroll when they were in the states for a race. I have the sister car to Horst's T-400 that won Mosport with Paul Tracy in his first pro ride and that was how he got his start driving.

My car is a ex Ongais F-5000 Lola T-400. They were the first cars with rocker arm front supension and did not have enough down force to make them work. Danny spent as much time off the track as on it, I was told. It then went to T-333 bodywork which is how I got it.

I then converted it to Frisbee bodywork and that is as far as I got. (See pic) A new business and $$$$ problems seemed to keep me from ever running the car. It is all new except for the chassis.

The 69 Vette is a good car. Ex Mitch Lambert out of Okla City who was the driver in the pic I posted. That was at the '78 Trans-Am at Hallett. I bought the car after the race as a roller (no mtr or tranny). I still have the original title dated 1970 when it was turned into a race car and took off the street. The original owner was a Colby Hillman of Ohio. I am only the third owner of it. I took it to the Runoffs at Atlanta in 1980 when all the protests about the L-88 hoods happened. Mine was legal as it is a factory hood. I can take the entire bodywork off the car to make it easier to work on.

Pantera
Attached Images

73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 PM

here is a pic of my Vette.
Attached Images

73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-17-2006, 07:42 PM

Another
Attached Images

73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA
Old 05-17-2006, 08:40 PM

Very cool on your Lola Larry....hope to see it come together someday. . Love to see any chassis details and tub identification you can share. .
Kroll is a good guy and was a very consistant racer....I think he has more Can-Am starts than anyone? . I remember when one of his trailers was stolen and a VDS motor went missing....me and the lads used to joke every time we had a fast vehicle that it had Kroll's motor in it.
The 'Vette looks great....do you have a log book or much on it's early racing history? . The fixed 'L88' headlite bubbles may add a nice look? .
Thanks for sharing it all....nice to see a few race cars here! .
Has anyone seen that '68 Z-28 Trans-Am car on eBay this week....was over 30 thou last I saw? .
Again that 'Aloha Bobby & Rose car from a few weeks ago here sure looks like it may have a possible road-racing history....correct style flares, Traco engine etc? .

~ Pete
Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Thanked 2,158 Times in 669 Posts

You guys must go to the Vintage & Classic week at Road America in July.

http://www.roadamerica.com/2006/index.htm