Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,381 Times in 646 Posts
Default Roughing It On An Epic Road Trip

While I was in Maryland in May, I happened upon this '66 Impala. It's a basic car, but it's in great shape and mechanically well sorted out. Drove it around for a day and fell in love with it. Just had to figure out a way to get it to AZ. Bruce had a great idea; ROAD TRIP. Sounded much more fun than arranging a trip in a box.

That idea snowballed since May, and on August 1, my son and I are flying out to Maryland to drive this Impala back to AZ. As we speak, it is in my buddy's shop for an inspection and some shake down miles. The 30 year old Goodyear Arrivas have been replaced and a noisy alternator has been replaced. The previous owners had some major mechanical repairs performed over the years.

Once we reach MS and OK, we'll try a detour onto Rt 66 as long as we can. Once we are west of OKC, there isn't much of anything until Amarillo. I have 5 days to travel almost 2400 miles. This will be a nice lead in before my son has his wisdom teeth removed that Friday.

The AM radio still works, once it is warmed up. Everything works except the dash back lights, which will probably be addressed before I pick it up. I'll replace the heater core later in the year. Some additional extra parts will be put in the trunk in case I have issues. There appears to be 1 repaint and, except for the package tray, the original interior is in great shape!

I'm sure this trip will cure me of any future thoughts of driving cross country in a 49 year old car with no AC during the summer. I'll post up pic when/where I can.

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 45573.jpg 45572.jpg 45571.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-27-2015, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Roughing It On An Epic Road Trip

Guttsy move !!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 PM

You'll be loving the vent windows! I'd get the windshield washers fixed, gonna be a lot of bug guts....I'm envious, enjoy the adventure!

BIG
Old 07-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Love the Impala Rick and sounds like a great adventure too! Good luck. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 AM

New shocks may make the trip more enjoyable.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:21 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

He's gonna have a blast. Wish I could go along... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2015, 02:30 AM

a friend of mine,an older guy, flew into San Diego,and drove a 71 Datsun all the way back to St louis with his son...who was in High School, and would be going to college....he tells the stories he and his son had on that trip and his eyes get big...and you couldnt wipe the smile off his face with a sledge hammer....that was 15 years ago....all he needs is an excuse and he drags out the pics and tells the story again.

he siad it was the first time they ever really talked, and they talked about everything...

remember, cherish it....its alife experience..notjust a trip
Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 AM

Thanked 1,510 Times in 725 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69SUPERSPORT396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Once we reach MS and OK, we'll try a detour onto Rt 66 as long as we can.
</div></div>

I am guessing you mean &quot;MO and OK&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/blush.gif[/img] Nice car, Rick, I'm sure it will be an adventure. Take a cooler with plenty of ice water!

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 07-28-2015, 05:28 AM

Thanked 4,381 Times in 646 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Pritchard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I am guessing you mean &quot;MO and OK&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/blush.gif[/img] Nice car, Rick, I'm sure it will be an adventure. Take a cooler with plenty of ice water! </div></div>

lol, I knew that. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone. We're both looking forward to it. Once it is here, I'll detail it up and slap some mag style hub caps on the wheels.

1966 Chevy Caprice 427-390
2012 Chevy Camaro RS Convertible]

Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 AM

Sounds like fun. I did something similar for my brother back in 1991. He purchased a beautiful 67 impala from Houston and needed it driven to Clevleand. I flew down to Houston, inspected the car and hopped in for the trip back to Ohio.

Two hours out of Houston, the oil light came on. It was full when I started the trip. Ended up 2 quarts low. As it turned out, It took 47 quarts of oil to get it home and the water pump crapped out in a small town in Mississippi. When the water pump went, It sounded like the engine had major damage, but luckily it was only the pump.

It was actually a fun trip even with the frequent stops. I got 30 'miles per quart of oil. Odd thing was that it smoked very little.

Before starting your trip, I'd have the following: spare water pump, spare voltage regulator, points, condenser, couple gallons of water, brake fluid, oil, trans fluid, tire inflator/stop leak and a decent tool kit. This stuff won't cost that much and if one of these components goes, it will be an easy fix.

Have fun with your trip, let us know how it turns out.

Phil Woj