Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 11-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1970 RAIV GTO, M21, 4.33, "Best Concours Restored"

Bottom line up front - - if you're a limp-wristed pantywaist, please close this window and move to another car. If you're looking for "bling," same deal. This is a no-nonsense car that was designed to go fast in a straight line and not much else.

It's an original 1970 PHS documented GTO equipped with a Ram Air IV, M21 4 speed, and 4.33 rear gears. Pepper Green with black guts. Manual drum brakes, manual steering, bench seat, dog dishes. No radio. Awarded "Best Concours Restored" at the 2013 GTOAA Nationals out of 93 cars vying for that award.

It's been finished since July 2013 and has maybe 1 mile on the resto. Speaking of resto, it was done by Darrell Davidson and his crew at Supercar Creations in Norton, OH. Darrell is a hardcore Pontiac guy (he owns a few roundport Judges himself) and has been a GTO Association of America judge for several years, so he knows what right looks like. Darrell is a stickler for details, of course, and this car was completed with an extensive use of NOS and restored OEM parts. As you can imagine, all the hardware is correct (i.e., correct NOS pinch clamps in the right color with the square edges, etc, etc, etc), all bolts have correct foundry markings (including the impossible to find RAIV specific "NL" valve cover bolts), and the work is flawless. The restoration was highly documented; I probably have a few hundred pictures.

The drivetrain is correct, but the block is not original; it's a date correct WW code RAIV block. The original block is actually still around; I do not have it, but I have seen it, touched it, and have pictures of it. It was removed from the car in the 70's after it spun a bearing; the guy who bought it built it for a 1970 RAIV Judge that he has, and it's been sitting on an engine stand for 10+ years waiting to go into the Judge. I have obviously not been able to talk him out of the engine or block.

Anyway, back to the engine in the car - it's been built to Pure Stock Drags specs (externally correct, some internal mods [more compression, H-beam rods, very minor cam changes] allowed) by noted Pontiac builder Jim Lehart at Central Virginia Machine. Jim has been building Pontiacs for 30+ years and is very well know in the Pontiac community. He also turns wrenches on the world's fastest Pontiac, so he knows what he's doing. Cliff Ruggles built the 273 carb. Also has the correct 2011 distributor, of course, and the exceptionally difficult to find 436 starter. The engine was run-in on a test stand prior to being installed, so the cam has been broken in.

Transmission is the correct M21, but built with M22 guts by Jody Haag. Most folks here probably know of Jody; he's one of the top Muncie guys in the country. Pete Serio did the shifter, which is topped by an incredibly difficult to find NOS "tennis ball" shift knob.

Jim Mitschke built the rear; it has an aftermarket diff, new 4.33 gears from Fabcraft, and aftermarket axles.

The car was sold new at Wells Pontiac in Richmond, Indiana. Wells was a well-known dealership that sold several notable cars during the musclecar era. I purchased the car in 2007 while finishing up a 15-month deployment to Iraq (it was a deployment gift); it was still in Richmond when I purchased it.

The car was restored as delivered with a few exceptions - it was originally equipped with bucket seats, console, 8 track and AM radio. Now it's bench, no radio. I felt that the bench seat and no radio/console/8 track were more consistent with the M21/4.33/manual steering/manual brakes go fast theme that I was looking for.

The car will be featured in an upcoming issue of Muscle Car Review (see pg. 54 of the November 2013 issue for a preview).

The car is at Darrell's shop in Ohio, but it will be at MCACN; I'm stationed in Korea and can't make the show, but Darrell will be there showing it.

Selling because the restoration got out of control and it makes zero sense for me right now to own a six-figure musclecar.

Price is $120k. I'm taking a real beating at that price of course. Partial trades (value of up to $30k or so) considered.

PM if you have questions.

Thanks for the ad.

Scott Walters

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-17-2013, 02:28 AM

Default Re: 1970 RAIV GTO, M21, 4.33, "Best Concours Restored"

HMMMMMMMM...interesting
Old 11-17-2013, 04:09 AM

Not a big green fan however the car looks killer. Good luck with the sale
Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weranc55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a big green fan however the car looks killer. Good luck with the sale </div></div>

Thanks for the compliment. Didn't want to do another Orbit Orange Judge clone; enough of those out there already.

Scott
Old 11-17-2013, 10:25 AM

What a car.

Love every thing about it.

Best of luck with the sale.

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 11-17-2013, 02:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: weranc55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a big green fan </div></div>

Me, either, but that car's cool.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 PM

All I can say is WOW!!!
My right wrist HAS been, and is still hurting, but I continued on and read the ad anyway. Other than the whole &quot;Pontiac&quot; thing (I'm an Olds guy), I really see NOTHING that isn't the way I like 'em AND the way it should be. GREAT RESTORATION to say the least! I'm a big fan of that color and did a '72 442 (remember the Olds addiction) in a shade close to that. Personally, I'm a little tired of the reds, blacks, and even silvers, so kudos on the Green. I'm seeing a sudden resurgence of the &quot;Earth Tone&quot; colors becoming more and more popular and with today's quality of materials and talent out there, some of the latest builds INCLUDING this one are breathtaking. Congrats on the outcome and I wish you nothing but good luck on the sale. Too bad you might lose some money on such a special car. P.S. Pete did a shifter for me, too---his work, in my opinion, is worth every penny
Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 AM

that is one beautiful car
Old 11-23-2013, 12:24 AM

Thanks, fellas. Appreciate all the kind words about the car.

DW31S - yes, it is a special car. Only 324 (or was it 327? - get the numbers mixed up with a 71 GTX that I had) non-Judge GTO's with RAIV and 4 sp. Would love to get it on a scale; has to be the lightest '70 GTO or close to it.

Thanks

Scott