Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Events > Other Events

Old 09-17-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Fall Mecum Auction 2011 in St. Charles IL

I spent a few hours there each of the last few days , my observations. A whole lot of cars of VERY QUESTIONABLE QUALITY, and the prices that they were bringing showed that you can't fool the educated buyer.

Don't get me wrong plenty of nice , rare and simply GREAT cars but not nearly the percentage of a few years ago. There are just way to many smoothed over rust buckets with mop and glow paint on them.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

I know what you mean. I just love how they describe something as a &quot;rotisserie restoration&quot; and then you see the Sears Diehard battery, Stant flip-top radiator cap and Cooper Cobra radials. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sadly, the market watchers then think this is an accurate representation of the gong rate for quality cars.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know what you mean. I just love how they describe something as a &quot;rotisserie restoration&quot; and then you see the Sears Diehard battery, Stant flip-top radiator cap and Cooper Cobra radials. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sadly, the market watchers then think this is an accurate representation of the gong rate for quality cars. </div></div>

Very well put.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know what you mean. I just love how they describe something as a &quot;rotisserie restoration&quot; and then you see the Sears Diehard battery, Stant flip-top radiator cap and Cooper Cobra radials. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Sadly, the market watchers then think this is an accurate representation of the gong rate for quality cars.</div></div>

I believe that this includes the price guides such as NADA. I wonder how many retagged and/or restamped 1969 Z/28s have contributed to the dramatic price decrease over the last few years?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool stuff...I think that Falcon went through BJ a few years ago! </div></div>

And was a &quot;Class of 1970&quot; Invitational MCACN participant last year too.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com
Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Maybe that's where I saw it Bob...thanks! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM

Sadly, the market watchers then think this is an accurate representation of the gong rate for quality cars. </div></div>
I agree 100%. Another factor that I believe is hurting the market besides the economy is the fact that all the auction companies have greatly expanded the number of events that are being held. There are only so many great quality cars out there and with more events, you have to have lesser cars to fill the void plus with more events, you reduce the buyers sense of urgency as there will be another auction within a couple of weeks where years ago it would be several months. I am not knocking the auction houses, in fact I would probably do the same thing if it increased the bottom line.