Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 06-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Default new guy needs advice on build

ok guys I have a plain jane 67 Camaro coupe that had a 210hp 327 powerglide in it, and have always wanted to build a 70's super/stock type car for the street,

big cam, alumin heads headers gold moroso valve covers and a Lakewood 3pt roll bar with lil centerlines in ft 8.5 satin centerlines in the rear to play with,since this car is completely documented, window sticker build sheet protecto plate delivery sheet owners book options book EVERYTHING here how she is now but have removed the z/28 emblems.

since its just a coupe... should I build the super/stock looking car for fun?? or restore it as new I do have still the set of orig 15x6 steel wheels with orig gm hubcap's as a fun reliable driver?

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: new guy needs advice on build

I say Day-2, SuperStock look. No aluminum heads though.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:06 PM

Build the one you want, but just save all the original parts. Make it so you WANT to drive it. For me, not too much fun driving a stock one. Your plan sounds like a killer project.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 06-05-2016, 11:46 PM

I agree with Tony. Build what you want and make it something you'll want to drive.

You should pick a time/theme and try to keep the build realistic to that theme. For example, the aluminum heads were not popular till after Super Stock was in its prime. You could do an SS theme circa 1973 and keep all the parts 1973 or older.

I'vr always wanted to take a set of aluminum heads, weld up the accessory holes and carve out the double hump marker. Since you may go with 1973, you could replicate a set of 186 heads with a pair of aluminum with less aggregation and then paint them. Then again, just build the rest of the car and update the motor when it has the last items needed to be updated. Good luck and keep the picture coming!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:59 AM

THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN... SUPER/STOCK IT IS... post pics soon,, Lakewood 3pt bar shipping tomorrow how about some 202 double hump heads?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:11 AM

I agree with Paul, the key thing is to pick a theme and stay with it. One of the things that was happening in the early 70s was guys could afford to buy a used Camaro or Nova and then upgrade it with GM crate motors like the LT1 or the 350/350 hp or even a big block if you had some extra $$. Then some cool mags, big tires on the back and some J-bolt traction bars. Of course there were aftermarket tachs and gauges. One thing you will need to do if you upgrade the power is get a stronger rear end, and 12 bolts are pretty hard to come by. Looking forward to your progress, that's a nice looking car.

My '68 Biscayne updates and fixes: http://tinyurl.com/Biscayne-My-Way

'68 Biscayne how I got it: http://tinyurl.com/Biscayne-Baseline
Old 06-06-2016, 01:17 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donniedee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN... SUPER/STOCK IT IS... post pics soon,, Lakewood 3pt bar shipping tomorrow how about some 202 double hump heads?</div></div>

BB or SB? Depends on what you are building. If you are building a Q-Jet motor you will use the 194's. Building an LT-1 motor then the 202's. It depends on how &quot;accurate&quot; you want to do a period correct SuperStocker. Don't believe any aluminum heads were used in SS back in the early 70's. They are not necessary anyhow.

Best thing to do is pick up an NHRA rule book from the era you want to build it and go from there.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM

I say keep it bone stock. It has survived to this point... It's uncommon, but very cool to see a base Camaro in its stock form. Most have been molested, rodded and beat to hell.

Day 2 cars are very cool, but I would keep this car stock, maybe sell it and buy a run-of-the-mill e-bay type Camaro and have fun with it. Day 2 it to the hilt.

At the end of the day, it's your car so do what you want with it, but I vote to keep it stock.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:37 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

I'm with Orlando.
Your Camaro is very striking &amp; has a unique iconic look.Leave it stock,much more attractive &amp; respect from me if you do.
Way too many day 2 wannabees out there,hanging the wrong clueless crap on their cars who barely drive em @ all,&amp; some while bashing stock owners too.
If you really want to modify something off stock appearance,pick a much different,more run hard put away wet car.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 PM

&quot;Run hard, put away wet.&quot; I like that RP.