Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Stock Restoration?

NOW the poor dude is really confused!
Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 PM

When someone finds a nice car, they obviously have a decision to make about what they want to do with it. Restore it, modify it a bit like most people did back in the day, or &quot;upgrade&quot; it with modern components? <span style="font-style: italic">In most cases</span>, the decision should purely be based on what result the owner really wants his car to be.
But here's when I believe another factor should be considered. If the car has survived all these years without any of those modifications and has most of its original equipment, then I think the car itself should be given some consideration in that decision. When a car has gone that long without being molested, it has a place in history and it deserves to be treated with respect and either preserved as-is or restored. In that case, I think the car itself is the most important part of the decision. That's just my way of looking at it and I hope I haven't added to the confusion.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts

Verne you are correct [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] ...that's why there is so much respect by the SYC members for all the &quot;old guys&quot; on this site. They have stood the test time, have most of their original parts, and still perform well [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 11-01-2014, 03:25 PM

A good representation for any Muscle Car to be restored correctly is the general theme you see at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals.
About 90% of the cars there have poly glas tires with correct components. I don't see no problem to modify the internals for more performance but the external of the car should represent how the car looked from the factory.
I have the most respect for these cars that are restored to original as it is a dying art for many people that choose to modify there car with day 2 components or todays upgrades as going original is to much of a challenge for some of these people.
Also when you re sell a car the cars restored to original sell the quickest and earn the highest dollar. Just my 2 cents.
The last show of the year I went to here in Canada, I counted on one hand out of 500 cars which completely restored cars were represented, just way to many modified cars that look all the same to me.

KEEP IT ORIGINAL [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2014, 03:38 PM

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,150 Posts

Wash,rinse,repeat..
It's the never ending cycle,a modified car is sold,new owner restores it back to factory stock,then gets bored &amp; sells it.
New owner enjoys it,then gets bored &amp; want's to drive it like he stole it,so modifies it,then gets bored &amp; sells it.
New owner enjoys it,gets bored &amp; restores it back to factory stock,then gets bored &amp; sells it...
Agree,it's your car to do as you wish.Don't let anyone say different.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:46 PM

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Agree Verne. Some mods to truly original cars also come from what is the current trend and &quot;publicly learned&quot; as &quot;necessary&quot; to make the vehicle &quot;usable&quot;. This is splitting the reasons/definitions of need, want and like.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:13 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When someone finds a nice car, they obviously have a decision to make about what they want to do with it. Restore it, modify it a bit like most people did back in the day, or &quot;upgrade&quot; it with modern components? <span style="font-style: italic">In most cases</span>, the decision should purely be based on what result the owner really wants his car to be.
But here's when I believe another factor should be considered. If the car has survived all these years without any of those modifications and has most of its original equipment, then I think the car itself should be given some consideration in that decision. When a car has gone that long without being molested, it has a place in history and it deserves to be treated with respect and either preserved as-is or restored. In that case, I think the car itself is the most important part of the decision. That's just my way of looking at it and I hope I haven't added to the confusion.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img] </div></div>

Wow!!! These are exactly the kind of responses I was looking for! Thank you all for your input and I am going with my gut and my original stance to restore the car back to its original badass self. This car has been a dream car of mine for a long time and now that I own it I do believe I owe it to the car, I do plan on doing some internal mods like you guys mentioned but other than that I want to return it to the way it was back in 1967.

Big thanks to Bill Pritchard for finding this car for me!!

Bruce I have the 20-27 of November off so that would be a good week for me. I will PM you.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Well good luck and have fun!
Old 11-01-2014, 08:44 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cubera2014</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When someone finds a nice car, they obviously have a decision to make about what they want to do with it. Restore it, modify it a bit like most people did back in the day, or &quot;upgrade&quot; it with modern components? <span style="font-style: italic">In most cases</span>, the decision should purely be based on what result the owner really wants his car to be.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img] </div></div>

Wow!!! These are exactly the kind of responses I was looking for! Thank you all for your input and I am going with my gut and my original stance to restore the car back to its original badass self. This car has been a dream car of mine for a long time and now that I own it I do believe I owe it to the car, I do plan on doing some internal mods like you guys mentioned but other than that I want to return it to the way it was back in 1967.

Big thanks to Bill Pritchard for finding this car for me!!

Bruce I have the 20-27 of November off so that would be a good week for me. I will PM you.

</div></div>

I believe I just heard the car exhaust a sigh of relief......... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img]

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2014, 02:57 AM

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts

I'm just glad you found what you wanted, John!

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60