Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Default 1966 SS396 Chevelle - $12,000

Original SS396, not a clone - 138 VIN car. Originally Aztec Bronze - beautiful and desirable one year only color with bronze interior. Now faded/oxidized red with bronze interior. No power options - manual steering, brakes, no A/C. Great car to restore; I’d love to keep it, but I’m about to run out of garage space, so one has to go.

It runs, drives, starts, stops, is titled in my name, insured, and has current tags. No issues with VIN tag or trim tag. I’ve owned it for 2 years; prior to that, it spent at least a decade in a Virginia barn.

The engine appears to be a non-original 396. It's a 961 block (correct for 66 SS396), but date code appears to be after car's build date (it was built 3d week of December 1965) and the pad is blank. Heads are '67 vintage 215 castings (oval port closed chamber). Engine is built up a bit, with a healthy Crane solid cam, 700 Holley DP, Edelbrock Performer, MSD 6AL, HEI distributor, Harland Sharp roller rockers, headers, and Flowmaster exhaust. Engine is quite strong on pump gas and compression test shows all cylinders are within 5% of each other. Unknown if it was a L34, L35, or L78 from factory; no build sheet found, but I only looked under the back seat.

It's an original manual trans car (small brake pedal, shifter hump, correct column, etc), but now has a fresh Fairbanks built TH400 with reverse manual valve body and a 10" converter.

Rear is the original CF code (3.31 posi) 12 bolt, but now has 4.56 gears.

Fuel tank has been replaced with a fuel cell. Last owner wanted to do some racing (car never made it to the dragstrip), but car has not been tubbed, caged, cut up, or even wheelwell lip rolled.

Bronze interior is all there and original, but everything needs carpet and seat covers. Dash is cracked.

Has Centerlines and good tires on it now, but have a set of 5 matching 14 x 6 steelies (HG code - from a '68 GTO) that I could sell.

Frame is solid. Floors are solid; no issues.

Trunk needs patching or replacing - has a few small holes. Some rust below front windshield. Some bubbling in lower doors and upper rockers (inner rockers are solid). Quarters have been patched at some point. Passenger wheelhouse is good; driver's has a small hole at the back.

Currently not working - backup lights, horn, wipers.

Will consider trades (or buy outright) only for ’69-’71 GTOs (especially Judges) and ’67-’69 Firebirds or any Pontiac that came from the factory with a Ram Air II, III, IV, Super Duty (421 or 455) or HO engine. Will consider any condition - restored, wrecked, stripped, etc. Also need Ram Air II, III, and IV engines and parts (distributors, carbs, heads, etc).

See my website for more pictures - http://www.bulletpruf.9f.com/catalog_3.html

Delivery in/around local area is possible.

Call (571) 285-5254 home, (919) 478-1663 cell or [email protected]. No calls after 9 pm.

$12,000 obo.

Car is located at my house in Woodbridge, VA - 25 miles south of D.C. on I-95. Zip 22193.

Thanks for the ad sYc!

Scott
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 350725-100_4106_thumb.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Re: 1966 SS396 Chevelle - $12,000

Price dropped to $10,000.

Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Re: 1966 SS396 Chevelle - $12,000

Price dropped to $8,000 firm. If it doesn't sell, I'm going to change the wheels (14x6 steelies w/dog dishes), replace the TH400 with an M21, etc.

Scott