Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-12-2021, 02:37 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

This action is so typical bureaucratic government. Start out with a good concept (less pollution where the less fortunate live - who wouldn't want that?) that gets morphed by hapless policies and actions that end up doing the complete opposite of their original intention (or worse) through unintended consequences.

I've worked with government regulation every day for the last 25 years, and I see it happen all the time, especially with regulations like the Dodd-Frank Act. It's the sad nature of the governmental beast.
John 10:30
Old 02-12-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Interesting Reading from a year ago, this is how it is done:

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...s-on-classics/
Any idea how cars with manufacturers available performance parts or wheels would be handled; Shelby's for instance? That may not be a good example since they didn't actually leave the factory with those pieces. But there are other cars and parts that could fit the description. Like a person that adds a cowl induction hood to his 1969 Camaro?
Old 02-12-2021, 06:46 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

And yet just recently, due to the efforts of SEMA, it is now legal for small auto shops to create modern turn-key muscle cars using an engine that will pass current smog regulations.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:50 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

We have 33 counties here in NM. Only one - where Albuquerque is located - requires all cars to pass a smog test to qualify for registration. No counties require any car to be inspected.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L72copocamaro View Post
Any idea how cars with manufacturers available performance parts or wheels would be handled; Shelby's for instance? That may not be a good example since they didn't actually leave the factory with those pieces. But there are other cars and parts that could fit the description. Like a person that adds a cowl induction hood to his 1969 Camaro?
I suspect you are framing the discussion as a negotiation. That is a mistake. These people must be taken at their word because they mean business.

Looking at the end game I suspect that the plan is to run the clock out on owners of these cars and then move to accomplish banning operation altogether. City's will be first.

In advance, however there is a pressing need need to get gas prices to $6.00 a gallon, (quickly) because at that point electric cars reach a competitive point to ICE.

Then instead of discussions to "phase out" the discussion will jump quickly right to "prohibit operation", and there are several ways to accomplish this.

Recall when POTUS 44 said well in the future "you can build a coal fired electric generating Plant-but you will go bankrupt trying to operate it"

So in the not too distant future I see:

Well Look you can own a collector car and drive it IF it passes our strict emission tests AND you pay the carbon surcharge per mile driven, AND allow for tracking of its operation to verify that it does not exceed the agreed mileage limitation. Purchase of Gasoline will be strictly controlled by this time and VERY expensive. If you exceed the mileage limitation additional gasoline purchases will be restricted. All Legal. We rationed gas during WW2 and some future National emergency declaration along the lines of a "Climate Emergency" will do the trick.

So you can keep your car you will just not be able to afford to operate it in a meaningful way.

Here is the screen shot of the op-ed piece that follows:

https://blog.oup.com/2020/03/governm...ning-old-cars/
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
L72copocamaro (02-14-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:03 AM

You know what I wonder? What octane is moonshine? And can I fill up my car with it?
The Following User Says Thank You to GMC_Typhoon For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 12:18 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Indiana requires vehicles have to be 25 years old to get historic vehicle plates. That means my 2000 LeSabre won't qualify till 2025.

I'm totally bummed out about that.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 02-14-2021, 11:30 PM

The people making these types of laws are the same people that are taking private jets to pick up their climate change awards.

You get what you vote for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to southernfriedcj For This Useful Post:
69LM1 (02-18-2021), markinnaples (02-16-2021), scuncio (02-14-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernfriedcj View Post
The people making these types of laws are the same people that are taking private jets to pick up their climate change awards.

You get what you vote for.

If I recall correctly the global warming scamsters predicted back in 2000 that snowfall would soon end. Later the goal posts got moved again and Al Gore did a movie in 2006 named "Inconvenient Truth" where he stated for the record that the planet only had "10 years to go".

This is not political. All the evidence clearly shows it is a scam.

So here we are in 2021 and POTUS just declared TEXAS a disaster area due to snow fall and the temps are forecast to be below zero tonight in Northern Texas.

As much as I hate the phrase "It is what it is" the applicability to the recent decades long climate hysteria is as plain as a fake stamp on an engine block.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
L72copocamaro (02-17-2021), markinnaples (02-16-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
If I recall correctly the global warming scamsters predicted back in 2000 that snowfall would soon end. Later the goal posts got moved again and Al Gore did a movie in 2006 named "Inconvenient Truth" where he stated for the record that the planet only had "10 years to go".

This is not political. All the evidence clearly shows it is a scam.

So here we are in 2021 and POTUS just declared TEXAS a disaster area due to snow fall and the temps are forecast to be below zero tonight in Northern Texas.

As much as I hate the phrase "It is what it is" the applicability to the recent decades long climate hysteria is as plain as a fake stamp on an engine block.
Yep.

It's about money, power and control.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southernfriedcj For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (02-16-2021), scuncio (02-15-2021)