Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts
Default Re: ZL1 #9 Barrett Jackson - Where's Waldo

George - very strong opinions on this site - the higher the $$, the stronger the opinions get! In your previous thread concerning this car, it seems like you were going to investigate exactly where the donor body was mated to original sheet metal (if anywhere) and then let the community know your findings. This information would help folks understand if this car fits their definition of a rebody (lots of opinions on that subject).
Anyway - that's my 2 cents. It clearly is a beautiful restoration and IMO a car that definitely should have been saved. Best of luck at the auction!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM

some may find these threads confusing as the sellers original description is still out for all to see. He has posted this correction almost a month ago.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">&quot;My original research prior to my purchase was NOT correct on what was done to this car in restoration to correct both Drag Race modifications and rust damage. Another body shell, a rust and damage free Norwood shell was used in the restoration. Where this shell was mated to the numbered/dated cowl firewall is still something I am chasing and may have photographs soon to document this. Either way, the body is NOT what I originally was told or what I posted previous</span>ly.</span>

this info is also posted <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">&quot;...This is a car that was restored by Floyd Garrett and he will be the first to tell you he had to replace the body because the orig. was too far gone. He makes no bones about it....&quot;</span></span>

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...251&amp;page=4

Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 AM

That description is a lawsuit waiting to happen! It can be taken alot of ways in my opinion and clearly doesn't state anywhere its a re-body and any good lawyer would tear that description to shreds. Who ever has enough money to buy it Im sure has enough money for a lawyer if he thought he was buying &quot;one the best&quot;.

Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd sell with that description because once the buyer finds out the whole story and gets lawyers involved the only ones that will be smiling when its all said and done is the Lawyers and Barrett Jackson. The seller will get caught up paying both buyer and seller fees to Barrett and get his car back plus have lawyer bills on top of it!

Not my car and I have no interest in it, so I don't care either way but as one car guy looking out for another Id seriously consider changing the description to save you some grief down the road.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 AM

A rebodied car should never exclude those words when it comes up for sale. The current owner would not have been surprised when he learned it, there would never be a reason for finger pointing, and would not lead to harsh words down the line on this site or in any courtroom. The most current description of #9 clouds the fact that it is a rebody. Plain and simple!! And yes, I have been told I live in a fantasy world where people are honest and don't let money taint their judgment.
65 Impala 396/425
65 Triumph TR4 Original Family Owned
The Following User Says Thank You to travlnz28 For This Useful Post:
kwhizz (01-05-2024)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 AM

I will chime in to also say that description is very deceptive to say the least. BJ should be ashamed to call a rebodied car one of best examples. I dont care how nice it is, the car is now a fully assembled tribute, clone or whatever you want to call it using the original parts from a ZL1 and the paperwork from that original car.

I would love to hear how they announce the car and talk it up while it is on the block. If they want to be honest not only will they announce that it is a rebody they will also explain to the bidders what that means. In my book it means it is no longer a ZL1 but a car built from the parts of an original ZL1.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

George
I don't know you personally,but through your replies on this great website,I've always had a certain respect for what you buy &amp; sell...until now.
I really think you coulda worded that one sentence a whole lot better and been alot more clearer with that one detail then that.That's the most nieve way to skate around saying something has been Re-bodied,that I have ever seen.Especially after 4 pages here on that earlier thread,of you taking us along with you as you find out it's true history &amp; telling us you'll be honest &amp; upfront about it,and that's how you describe it to potential B-J bidders?

I can't really find blame with B-J today,as even they listed it as a re-body a few years ago,so I would imagine you told them what to write today.........right?

<span style="font-style: italic"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Auction Co: Barrett-Jackson
Date: January 14, 2006

Lot # 1322. S/N 124379N608879. Cortez Silver/black vinyl. 427-ci V8, 4-bbl, auto. 69 total produced, this is #9 of the 50 built for Fred Gibb to homologate for racing. Fitted with aluminum heads and ZL1 aluminum block—Chevy's first. A $4,160 option, COPO 9560. Originally it was a drag car, but was rebodied and restored to a high level. Well-known in Camaro circles, and blessed by Ed Cuneen, the Camaro COPO guru. Cond: 1.&quot;</div></div></span>

For the most part,there's nothing wrong with saving a collectible vehicle from the crusher by re-bodying it if there's no other way,but it's got to be publicly announced as such.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
kwhizz (01-05-2024)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,076 Times in 1,321 Posts

I would like to know how the car was represented to you George. We know that Floyd was upfront and very clear as to the car being a rebody, it was also clearly stated in the BJ description in 2006. Typically a rebody sells for significantly less than a real bodied car, and I assume this was the case when you purchased the car. You stated on 12/7 &quot;the car will be represented honestly when I become the &quot;seller&quot;. Is the updated description what you consider &quot;represented honestly&quot;.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 01-03-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanked 1,113 Times in 327 Posts

I agree with you guys entirely. No one is shocked though when &quot;death star&quot; words like &quot;rebody&quot; and &quot;clone&quot; aren't used in marketing material. I'd just like to give George the benefit of the doubt - that the car will be represented as exactly what it is at the auction and on the block.
Heck - look at the LS-6 vert coming up at Mecum in FL - no &quot;clone&quot; words, but it sure looks like it if you read between the lines. &quot;Built to LS-6 specs&quot; could also mean that the factory built it that way.
BTW - the line up of cars at Mecum FL is spectacular! I know where I'll be!
Old 01-03-2012, 04:31 PM

WOW, I took an afternoon off the computer to work in my garage and missed my murder trial and sentencing. Glad I got a phone call prior to my walk to the gas chamber.

Prior to yesterday I had finished my signage for B-J with a clear disclosure of the body replacement done by Floyd. I also have new photos; pre-resto, work underway and ones I took in dismantling the car recently. As always I expect to visit with potential bidders for the full week of display answering any and all questions and sharing all I have on the car. I previously listed my cell number on the post and have talked to three interested parties all of whom seemed to know about the body when they called.

I am more than a bit shocked by the accusatory nature of yesterdays posts but admittedly have witnessed this here before. I have stated I would sell this car honestly but apparently that does not suffice. I thought originally posting on this site was a good move but now question my decision. I will market and sell this car thru Barrett-Jackson exclusively from today forward.

Thank You,
George Lyons
Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

All happening here seems to really be about so much more than this specific car and/or owner so please stay on board George as everyone here's certainly not against you!.
If this SYC thread can continue on it really has the potential to be a much-needed clear and major signpost of direction and clarification for many serious cars and their values in today's world!.
Seriously, will there ever really be any better time and situation again w/ the stars lined up exactly as they are right here and now, those serious about these cars including owners and others w/ specific vehicle information also auction principals and a perfect subject car w/ stand-up owner...all here together on the new SYC!.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
~ Pete