Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Default 70 z correct sub frame & bottom floor pan color

I am restoring a recently purchased 70 z. Someone in the past painted the entire car below body w/ black paint including master cyl, booster, etc. I am disassembling & stripping now and want frame, floor pan, firewall, etc. original color. Any documentation, publications, original pix, etc. on this info? Is POR 15 good for frame?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Default Re: 70 z correct sub frame & bottom floor pan color

The very first question is this. Is your car a Norwood car or LA?

And, is your car going to be a trailer queen, driver/occasional showcar or driver/cruise night car?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:38 PM

With all due respect to ALL the outstanding restoration enthusiasts on this web site, I would suggest that you join and read the ORIGINAL forum at www.nastyz28.com. If you were to search that forum you would find almost everything you could possibly want to know about 70 Z-28 restoration.

That being said we first of all need to know if your 70 Camaro was built at Norwood, Ohio or Los Angeles,CA ?
Norwood Camaros were primed with "Red Oxide" while L.A. Camaros received a shade of "Black" primer.

I have never read or heard of the specific G.M. formula, name, or number of the original Norwood "Red Oxide" primer.

PPG DP74 is a good underfloor/interior color (for 70+ Norwood Camaros) and has been used by many. Keep in mind that PPG did not intend for DP to go unfinished, as it can be harmed by UV light. Now I understand that the bottom of any Camaro wont get see UV light, but Im just pointing it out. Might be a good idea to top coat the DP with a Flattened Clear????

I have read in a magazine article where DYNACORN(sp?) is priming there New 69 Camaro bodies with DuPont IMRON 62-711 Red Oxide Primer.......and it looks very much similar to "whatever" was used on Norwood 70's...........

From everything I've seen at major shows, the top restoration shops and owners have a tendency to over restore paint finishes and plating, as that's what the majority of people want to see.

I still can not quote what formulation and percentages are to be used, but recently I have been impressed with either the GLASURIT or PPG single stage black paint mixed in varied degrees of brightness to achieve the mixed shading that factory cars have.

If you are media blasting to bare metal and correctly treating, priming, coating the metal, POR 15 would be the wrong product for restoration.

Jerry McNeish's Camaro books are one source of "correct" finishes for misc components......

I myself followed old exacting instuctions from a 1990's MUSCLE CAR REVIEW Magazine article where PPG Delstar Black Acrylic Enamel was used. While it intially looks good and may be OK for a show only car, I will not used it again for durability reasons.

Joey Gray's 2nd Generation Camaros (336-764-8856) in Clemmons, NC does a great job on restoring 70 Z-28's.
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 PM

Norwood. Occasional driver
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 PM

Norwood. I have been all over nastyz28 and do not see anything in regard to floor pan color. It seems all 70's had black firewalls. where did the red oxide stop & start on the Norwood car? Thanks for the Clemmon, NC lead. I am in Charlotte, NC. I will visit.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Default Re: 70 z correct sub frame & bottom floor pan colo

You might want to check with Jack "Jacsey 70Z"

These photos are out of a ton of pics I have collected over the last year and I think they are of Jack's survivor.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Butch, Not really sure if 100% of body was submerged in Red primer, but judging by interior roof portion, it would appear so..........As with other cars, primer drained out misc holes in floors

Black firewall was painted over red oxide covering verical portion slightly down past where floor angles up to meet firewall........Jack Seymour has picture of his survivor.

This thread could be turn into a book. As I've alluded to, please SEARCH and READ at www.nastyz28.com.....also find the ORIGINAL forum!!!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

In the photos of Jack's car you can make out the contrast from the red oxide and the orange overspray on the floors. That's Priceless.

Note the gas tank straps also.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:08 AM

Phil, No question that Jack Seymours's 70 Z-28, ALL of his meticulous cleaning and great pictures, ARE the restoration guide for 70 Camaro's.

And on the other hand seeing great restored cars like yours will help Butch and others restore their Z-28's.

Fact remains that there are still no specific guides on what to buy, how to mix, how to tint, how to blend, how to plate, how to polish, etc etc.......and I have no immediate plans on writing one either.