Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > L78/L89 specific Forum

Old 09-07-2019, 04:04 AM

Default Scuncio Chevelle ex-L78

Well I bought a white on white 1969 SS396 Chevelle. I did not go see the car, just looked at pictures, so the car is not all I hoped/thought it was. I have been looking and checking the car over, and if anyone has any info, or knows the car, I would like to find out all I can. Car has papers and is a factory L-78 car, sold through Scuncio Chevrolet.
I know the car went through Barrett-Jackson last Oct. with the black stripes down the sides, but car does not have the stripes now. Checking showed new quarters and a new trunk floor. Also looks like front end may have been off for work. New paint job explains where the stripes went.
Salesman told me the engine was not original and was just a big block of some sort. Well, he couldn’t have been more wrong. Engine is a date code correct L-78 from a Camaro that was also built with a Turbo-400. Engine and rear end were built 1 day apart.
Turbo-400 is from a 1970 oval port hydraulic cam engine, but it shifts good.
But everything is sort of a mess.
There is rust, with some pin holes, probably get bigger when the work starts, around where the trunk seal goes. Lower portion mainly.
Interior shows signs of mold, like the car set for a period. Needs replaced.
Under the hood needs plenty. Spark plugs were wrong for the engine, plug wires a mess, PCV hose routed wrong, needs new wiring harnesses, radiator cap wrong, battery box rusted, etc. Wrong carb, inner fender liners cut for headers.......
Lots to do.....but if anyone knows much about the car I would like to hear from you. Thanks

Last edited by TomN; 01-31-2020 at 08:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomN For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (08-10-2020), rdfk (06-26-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Screenshot_20210131-191736_Dropbox.jpg rsz_img_1113.jpg rsz_1img_1086.jpg IMG_3285.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-07-2019, 04:19 AM

I was interested in the car and spoke to the dealer. He was very difficult to get any answers from. He said he didnt know if the rear was OEM but told me it was a race car so I guess that was code for it wasnt,he never got back with me on it .. I did notice they did a quickie respray after they bought it, I thought the car looked better before they sprayed it certainly from a color standpoint .The fact he was so evasive about everything made me not pursue it further. He didnt have it marked up a ton ,I just dont understand why 99 percent of dealers never have high quality cars they are proud to sell ..probably because you cant have alot of inventory unless you buy marginal cars ...from the price he gave me he couldnt have made much if anything ......still a documented scuncio car w great colors..enjoy it I'm sure people in the northwest know of it .

No Fisher priced toys here
Old 09-07-2019, 04:24 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Here's some info on the same car, i think?

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthre...hlight=Scuncio

Old 09-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Pics just before the dealer sold it.http://wwva.worldwidevintageautos.co...ck-no.-mhm3057
Old 09-07-2019, 01:05 PM

Yes!....the427king, getting any info from the dealer was almost impossible. Just getting a call back was hard.
I also thought the car looked a lot better in the Barrett-Jackson auction pictures, but I don’t know if some of that could have been the sitting and light. I didn’t think I saw any reason from the auction pictures as to why someone would put new quarters on it.
Car looks solid around the front and back windows. No rust that I see.
Pulled the rear seat and the floor looks great.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:55 PM

Congrats...Good luck with it!

No Fisher priced toys here
Old 09-29-2019, 09:48 PM

Well I have 4 wheel brakes now...lol. Only the rear drum brakes were working when I got the car. I replaced some of the drum brake hardware parts so that the springs that hold the brake shoes in place sit straight and work properly. Car came with new brake drums on it. Replaced all 3 brake hoses as the 2 front hoses showed some fraying and all looked original. Front calipers were ‘frozen’...so had to replace them. I had a hard time bleeding the calipers, vacuum did not work to pull fluid through system for bleeding. I had to have someone push the brake pedal to ever get the system bleed.
Also the car would drain the battery if it sit overnight. I determined that the alternator, which was not the right one for the car, was the cause and have replaced it.
After all that I did take the car for a short 3 mile ride. Much more work to do. Car seems to sit way to high. I know it has 15” tires and wheels but it still feels like it is much higher than normal when driving. Rear fender welds are much higher than the tires. May need to replace coil springs. What is left of ‘Hurst’ stickers/decals on the shocks.
Oh well, I am making progress
Old 09-29-2019, 09:51 PM

Question.....was putting stiffer/taller rear springs in these cars something racers did....to maybe clear larger, wider, slicks?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN View Post
Question.....was putting stiffer/taller rear springs in these cars something racers did....to maybe clear larger, wider, slicks?

Thanks
Tom,

Yes, they did.

Glad you are improving the car

Not meaning to steal your thread.....if anyone is looking for a real deal 1969 L78 Chevelle with it's original born-with engine.
This one is still available.

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151403

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 AM

Thanks.....and yes I’m trying to improve the car but don’t plan on a restoration
The Following User Says Thank You to TomN For This Useful Post:
Blown32 (10-05-2021)