Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 09-08-2019, 11:36 PM

The emblems could be purchased at the counter or through a catalog and applied to anything.
The stickers were free at the counter.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 PM

Totally understand that is what it looks like but I took them off. There is no GM stamping or part number on them an when I hold them up to the factory units that came with the car the quality and finish are completely different. That is why I was wondering if Baldwin sourced out these valve covers and put their badges on them?? I included a photo from their blue book on the facebook site showing the exact same valve covers. Just kinda confusing. Was hoping someone may know. Thanks

Last edited by 22truckie; 09-09-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 AM

The picture with the tunnel ram has a set of different valve covers. Wire standoff is in a different location and so is the motion placard. Not sure what that means, but you can toss part of the story.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Ok, not sure what you mean by toss part of the story??
Old 09-09-2019, 09:16 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
The picture with the tunnel ram has a set of different valve covers. Wire standoff is in a different location and so is the motion placard. Not sure what that means, but you can toss part of the story.
I think the photo with the dual quads was taken from the Motion book. He posted it to show the similarity between the valve covers.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Correct. Just used the photo from the book to show another example of this valve cover. Did any other source use the drippers other than the factory units? The chrome plating on these is just so different than the factory ones that were originally with the car. Not trying to pull a fast one and slip a faked car by. All the histories of the car line up with the original parts that came with the car. About the only two things I do not have right now from its past is the Motion stinger hood ( trying hard to get it) and the other wheels that had the wider tires the original owner used. Those are lost for good. What is on there are the original steel wheels. I got the car because of its Motion ties, and its crazy past, plus that it was a stashed away barn find which I collect. I still have work to do on it, little things but is very enjoyable to sit behind the wheel of a car with this rich of history. Sorry but I do not see any part of the story that needs to be thrown out. No fake reproduction Motion parts on the car from what I can see. Just a shop car not a high dollar true Motion built car, cant afford $200k for a car, but the ties to the shop and having them untouched is what I was after. Thanks again for all the imput.
The Following User Says Thank You to 22truckie For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM

those are not break in marks on the hinge side... those are marks from the hinges itself. its a common thing on early c3 corvettes when the door is opened too hard and fast and flexes and hits the hinge bar.... many including my own have suffered from that.

im thinking that someone at some point did what a lot of people did... hit the motion catalog and build book ( indicating the intake manifold choice) and built their own version of a motion car. being a buffalo native myself.. motions influence was strong here and still is in some ways... we still have a blown small block mako corvette driving around that was done in the mid 70s... i love the patina and the car is cool. however i dont think there is any motion lineage other then some parts possibly purchased there.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:42 PM

just to show the influence still in Buffalo... my Corvette and my friends Camaro still being built using motion books and parts.. Corvette Specialties and guys like Larry Bogdan still have parts or worked at House of Corvettes back then... i acquired some motion style parts recently from both places for my corvette..
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallblockhero For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (09-10-2019), x Baldwin Motion (09-10-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM

I knew I would learn something here. You are absolutely correct! Those indentations on the edge of the door do line up with what you are talking about. I was told the ex tried to break into the car with the screwdriver when the attempted murder happened, I assumed those were the marked. There is also a gouge out of the top of the door just below the top crease line of the door by the handle. That must have been where she did it. I figured that was a secondary futile attempt. There you go, you assume and you make a **$# out of yourself. Thanks!! There were some heated moments when she tried to slam the hood down, maybe she went nuts on the door as well. All I know is what I was told that Motion built the engine and did the flare work. The engine is built very well, is very strong, perfect gearing for track work and the 4 speed is very much a close ratio keeping the revs up in the lower gears. So whoever did it built a great engine. Unfortunately I have no written documentation so I guess I'm screwed on that one. I guess I will have to settle for a untouched period catalog car with Motion items on it which I guess is still not a bad thing to have. I will let you all know if I get the hood back. Hopefully will have an answer in a week or two. Wish me luck lol.

Last edited by 22truckie; 09-09-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM

BTW, does anyone know where I can get a filter element that looks correct for the Fly Eye?? the original one is now basically dust. If I get the stinger hood back I will put the original Motion items back on but want to make sure the carb is protected. THANKS! Also, WOW! You actually know about House of Corvettes??! You are the second person I have talked to that knew of the place. He was blown away with the decal that was on the car. Thanks for the info and very nice corvette. Good that Baldwin Motion is still alive there. I grew up in Springfield Illinois and right in the middle of the muscle car era. Always wanted a Motion car. This is as close as I will get.

Last edited by 22truckie; 09-09-2019 at 08:33 PM.