Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM

I received another email reply from the NCDMV. Libby says she has sent the request to the archives department to have the information researched. Fingers crossed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
Billohio (08-13-2019), PeteLeathersac (08-13-2019), Xplantdad (08-12-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Go heels!!!! Carolina blue!
69 L71 Roadster Survivor
69 L46 Roadster Survivor (Sold)
69 Z/28 RS
69 Dodge Charger R/T
70 W30 442 Auto Air Survivor
2016 Z06 Coupe M7
70 AAR Cuda (Sold)
69 L78 Chevelle
Old 08-14-2019, 01:11 PM

LOL

I'm interested to see what comes back. She said give it 5-10 days and I should know something by then.
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (08-14-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Well not so good news. I was told they do have information on my car but because my name isn't affiliated with it in North Carolina (I bought it and took it back to Ohio and titled it) They won't release any information due to the privacy act.

I explained to her I was told North Carolina was one of the few states that still offered this information after answering the questionnaire on the back of the form that specifically stated for research use only, and that I was mainly interested in the possibility of receiving the dealer MSO paperwork, and not information on previous owners. But I doubt that will go anywhere.

Looks like another dead end for me.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Libby went on to tell me the only other paperwork they would have is the Manufacture Certificate of Origin which doesn't list anything specific other than the HP and the weight of the vehicle, she says it has no other information on it.
So there is no dealer MSO or large folder of paperwork, nothing that would verify how the car was optioned or the original color.

Looks like I'm just going to take pictures of what I find to document the original color and that's as good as it's going to get.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:27 AM

You are being given inaccurate information. the MSO manufacture statement of origin and manufacture cert of origin are the same thing. And they do list the original shipped to dealer name.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 AM

It may just list the dealer name, but I know what that is already thanks to the NCRS report. That's what started the whole vin search thing when I found out the car was sold new in North Carolina. Others had mentioned how lenient the Carolinas have been about releasing prior owner information and that a dealer MSO may also be included. I was under the impression the MSO may also show options or possibly some hand written remarks about color since the car was special ordered.

Well since that time I've found that North Carolina no longer shares prior vehicle owner information thanks to the privacy act. And I'm told by Libby at the NCDMV the MSO or MCO will only show the HP and weight of the vehicle anyway, all of which I know. I asked if I could at least buy that document and forget the list of prior owners, honoring the privacy act. I have not heard back.

I was mainly hoping I might be able to document the special order color of the car. That's really what I was after. So I'll do that the old fashion way and document everything on camera as I dig deeper.

The whole process has been a long one. Mailing in the forms with the check got no where. It was never returned to sender so I don't think it got lost, and the check was never cashed. I assume they tossed it.

Next I tried calling, only to go through 5-10 minutes of recordings, finally getting the phone to ring for assistance, only then to have someone actually pick up the line and hang up. I tried that a few times with the same results.

Then, I resorted to sending an email. That is finally how I eventually got through to someone, explained the situation, and after weeks of waiting, I'm told they simply no longer provide this information. Thought that was odd when they still offer the forms to mail in specifically for this.

So unless some miracle happens and Libby offers some form of paperwork, I think it's a dead end.

Some good came of this though. The NCRS gave me the original dealer of Modern Chevrolet, and thanks to some of you I bought a dealer emblem for the deck lid. So pretty cool stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 01:28 PM

I was just informed by Libby that they will not furnish the MSO or MCO because I am not the original owner of the car.

North Carolina must have some new rules in play.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,036 Times in 422 Posts

There's nothing on the front side that would say anything about the first owner. See if they'll sent the front side only.
Maybe you need to get a lawyer involved. I've actually thought about that with MVD Phoenix..Joe
Old 09-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Thanks Joe,

Actually I don't even know what info the MSO would provide or what's on it. According to Libby there is nothing critical that tells anything about the car, just the HP and the weight of the vehicle.

I don't think I want to go down the lawyer route, I don't want it that badly if there is no other prudent information on it. I know what the car is, I was just hoping maybe a piece of paper might have chicken scratch on it about the color since several here hinted at that.

I think we talked about that deal with the Phoenix DMV when I was trying to find history on our 69 Z. Turned out because our Z wasn't registered for 35 years it was purged from the system (any car not registered more than 10 years in AZ) So supposedly they have no record of the Z ever existing. I had to create a completely new registration, pay a fee, and wait 3 days for them to accomplish it making sure there were no leans on the vehicle and that it wasn't stolen. For the life of me I can't figure out how they can do that on a car that supposedly doesn't exist to them anymore, and yet can't provide me with anything about it. Even the Camaro guru's in town that have owned or seen every 69 Z around here has never seen this one. I can't even get an NCRS report on the darn thing so I pretty much gave up on that one.

I'm interested in how things proceed with yours. Sounds like you are still pursuing it.

I'd like to know more about MSO's and what's on them if anyone cares to share so I can decide if I want to keep chasing this.