Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 05-28-2007, 04:56 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts
Default Al Corporon (Al's V8Vair)

I purchased this car in the late 80's it is a 66 Corvair with a V8 conversion installed in it. The company that made this kit was Crown Manufacturing Company Inc. out of Newport Beach , California. The kit included basicly everything ,all you needed was a solid car , motor , radiator and your time to install the kit. Crown suggested about 40 hours work to do it.

In 1967 they stated that you could install from a 283 to a 427. although the big blocks were just to much in every aspect, but if the power train could have held together it would have been a monster. a L-88 was installed in one car they built. I can only imagine it did not last long. I have included a article from a magazine with a photo of the L-88 in one of the cars.

My car runs basicly a 327 with the corvair transaxle , the differential is upgraded with a 4 spider gear unit from the 2 spider unit. the transaxle sits in the stock location as when the corvair motor was mated to it. the suspension has four Crown V8 springs and Crown front and rear sway bars. For now the car still runs the four wheel drum brakes. a large 4 core radiator from a mid 70's Cadilac is mounted up front.

From the time I bought it in 87 it was my daily driver in the summer. I tried to drive it from March to November that included everyday to work , out on evenings , drive in movies, car shows on the weekends and sometimes to the cottage. not the most practical car to do most of that with , but when you are in your 20's and foolish practical meant nothing.

After about 3 summers of thrashing it around I had beat up the transaxle pretty bad. winter came and I stored it needing repair. in the spring of 1990 a friend was selling his 77 vette and I could not pass it up and I wanted to help him out ! so it became my daily drive and the vair sat in storage. I would drive it once and awhile just to keep things moving. by 1991 I sold the V8 and my wife ( girl friend at the time ) sold her 66 corsa convertible to buy our first house and we got married.

So up untill 1994 we enjoyed the vette but by the middle of that summer I got a call from the guy I sold the V8 to and he was interested in selling it . well I had to help him out so I bought it back. the transaxle had been rebuilt and some other mechanical work was done and I was good to go. about a month after I sold the vette and the corvair occupied my time. I am currently swapping out the 327 with a 350 as well as some minor upgrades.

Three years ago I purchased another corvair for my wife , a 66 monza coupe. simalir to what she had when we met in high school.

The V8 is an absolute blast to drive , I still scare myself in it once and awhile , but it's a good scare !
thanks for letting me share my ride.

Al Corporon.

For a detailed story on Crown here is a link http://www.corvaircorsa.com/crown1a.html from there you can see to fine modern V8 Corvairs
For more V8 Corvairs of all sorts see www.v8vairs.com

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 36232.jpg 36231.jpg 36230.jpg 36229.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts
Default Re: Al Corporon (Al's V8Vair)

Way cool!!! That has got to be a blast to drive. I have a special fondness for Corvairs. I learned to drive in my parents' 61 Corvair Monza 4 speed. My wife's first car was a 62 Corvair 500....3 speed, no radio, rubber floor mat.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 05-28-2007, 08:06 AM

That has to be a handful to drive !! I also see the aircraft landing lights !! I used to have those in everything I drove. They would fry the guys retinas in front of you !
Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 AM

Cool ride Al. Great history lesson on the V-8 conversion. Bet she goes like the wind. How does she handle with the increased weight in the rear?

Thanks!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:14 PM

+++ Al +++ Fantastic ''Vair "" all that horsepower, and low weight, makes for one fast a$$ ride... ""Now "" that's what I need in my Corvair, a lot more /// GO ///, and less show.. Al, you have one great car, I can't imagine what it would be like to handle that... Thanks for sharing, if I weren't so old, and broke, I would love to do what you have,, Thanks again..Kasey ...
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 AM

Hey , thanks guys.

It is a blast to drive. at times it can be a handful,it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. once or twice I think I actually stopped breathing

the car obviously handled better when it was lower with the vette wheels but I wanted a change and I like the look of the 60's muscle cars so I changed the springs and shocks , I had the wheels sitting around , painted them and got the look I was after.
One thing the car does not lack is traction I had considered a set of skinny bias ply's just for cruise nights and also a pair of Thrush side kicks but I am not sure if that would look alright .

Kasey I would like to see some photos of your vair.

thanks

Al
Old 05-29-2007, 06:54 PM

Hey Al...thanks for sharing your cool Corvair! It must be a total blast to drive it around...and you will be the only one at a cruise with one!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Kasey needs to send pics in to Rob for his 'Vair!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kasey needs to send pics in to Rob for his 'Vair!

[/ QUOTE ]

++++ BRUCEEE +++ If I had a Vair like Al's with all that get up. and "GO", I would have plenty of pictures to "SHOW"...Kasey...
Old 06-01-2007, 03:37 AM

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!

Great ride Al !!!