Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova7579 View Post
This reminds me of a Nationwise Auto Parts bumper sticker my Dad had on the 70 Townsman wagon as a kid........."Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars".
Brian
Please refer to post #9
Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGrunt View Post
You would think California has other more important things to focus their time & energy on rather than a weeks long forensic teardown of a car that was obviously crashed due to driver error.

I agree, with no life threatening injury cite the driver for failure to control/reckless operation and be done with it.

Rich
Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Kevin Hart is likely to be slapped with a lawsuit following the Sept 1 car crash involving his vintage car.

Sources close to the situation tell TMZ that Kevin and the two other people in his car - the driver, who sustained serious neck and back injuries - as well as the other backseat passenger -- have all lawyered up.

While Kevin wasn't behind the wheel of the car, his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda did not have safety harnesses or airbags. This could constitute negligence, according to the website.

But Kevin isn't the only person who could be on the hook. After the California Highway Patrol's investigation, the driver could also be responsible as well as the company who customized the classic car. According to TMZ, "the company is the expert and even if Kevin wanted a custom job without safety harnesses, the company should have refused the job because it wasn't safe ... especially with a powerful, 720 horsepower engine."

They also claim that law enforcement sources have revealed to them the CHP may lobby the California State Legislature in order to prohibit custom car companies from rebuilding cars without harnesses ... whether the customer wants them or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...cid=spartandhp
Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Just how safe can a street car be made if the powertrain advances the car's safety?
Installing harnesses just keeps the passengers in the seat while their head can go in all different directions....Dale Sr. Installing harnesses means you'd have to have inspections by competent means....who's that? Installing harnesses without a roll cage just doesn't make sense and it doesn't need to be explained. Installing harnesses only does 1 thing positive, makes the harness manufacturer richer.
This should be fun to watch.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:14 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Kevin Hart Likely To File Lawsuit Against Company Who Built His Barracuda

Now that actor/comedian Kevin Hart has been released from the hospital after sustaining three fractures to his spine that required back surgery, it is said that he is now in the process of preparing a lawsuit against Speedkore, the company who built his beastly 720-horsepower Plymouth Barracuda that was powered by a modern 6.4L Hemi V8 and topped with a Whipple supercharger. In addition, the driver, Jared S. Black, and the backseat passenger who sustained minor injuries, have also hired lawyers due to the lack of safety equipment in the car which is said to have a roll cage, airbags, and five-point harnesses. They believe the addition of these safety features would have prevented their injuries.

According to TMZ, the big issue is that Speedkore should have refused the job to Hart even if he wanted the custom car to come without safety equipment. TMZ contacted 10 different custom car companies to see if they would still offer cars without safety equipment considering the Hart crash, and 8 out of 10 said that they still would.

The California Highway Patrol is still investigating the crash but talks of changing the laws revolving around classic cars are already in the works. If this legislation is approved, that means that all cars, no matter how old, must have seatbelts or harnesses installed to be legal and road worthy. While safety is no doubt a priority, these classics have been around for decades without any of these features. Also, this means drilling holes into million-dollar Concours cars just to add tacky seatbelts that will hardly ever be used. Plus, it is not unheard of for these laws to trickle over to other states.

So, if Kevin Hart, and the two others involved in the crash, file lawsuits against SpeedKore over safety equipment, what impact will that have on the impending changes on California laws regarding safety restraints in muscle cars? No doubt it would have a negative impact for classic car owners that are forced to drill into their beloved classic cars to add features they have never been equipped with.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/n...o-file-lawsuit
Old 09-23-2019, 12:48 PM

My opinion is should at least have the restraints-safety equipment that were present when the car (according to the VIN number-year built) originally came with. If you want to add to this level than that is up to you. This could easily roll itself into needing seat belts and even air bags (passive restraints) into the nicely restored Model T you have in your garage.
I hope Speedkore has a signed waiver from Kevin Hart for no installation of at least the belts. If they do and he is still suing them then that shows you what he is made of.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

Another case of people not taking responsibility for their actions. If any suit should take place it should be the drivers girlfriend and Kevin suing the driver. First and foremost if you did not break any street or driving laws (i.e. not wearing seatbelts, exceeding the speed limit, reckless driving, failure to control, etc, etc) there would not be an issue. If you do break the laws than accept the responsibility. Yet another case of going after the builder because you are an idiot. It is making our business harder and harder due to insurance increases and lawsuits. I am glad I am not building Kevin's type of cars in our shop as the liability would be enormous in this lawsuit happy world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
dustinm (09-24-2019), GotGrunt (09-24-2019), John (09-23-2019), tunes (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Thanked 1,364 Times in 662 Posts

I believe that the friend who was driving the car (as well as the passenger) are suing KH, who has retained a lawyer for his defense. I read that KH isn't suing the car builder, but the idiot friend who crashed (and again, the passenger) are suing KH and SpeedKore (the builder).
John 10:30
Old 09-23-2019, 03:03 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

Are you referring to Lee's post (Kevin Hart has been released from the hospital after sustaining three fractures to his spine that required back surgery, it is said that he is now in the process of preparing a lawsuit against Speedkore) or did you read something else on line where it states that Kevin wasn't suing the builder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following User Says Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
I believe that the friend who was driving the car (as well as the passenger) are suing KH, who has retained a lawyer for his defense. I read that KH isn't suing the car builder, but the idiot friend who crashed (and again, the passenger) are suing KH and SpeedKore (the builder).
It could never be my fault...somebody has to pay for my actions. God damn people.