Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Motion Cobra

It appears that the Hendrick purchased the Larson car but who's car is this. Costilow/Larson “DragonSnake”

CSX 2093 was the 93rd Cobra built and is one of only eight cars to receive the Shelby-developed DragonSnake package, designed to maximize drag racing performance. Depending on options, the package could swell to a whopping $8,990, a huge sum in 1960s-era dollars.

The Larson-piloted DragonSnake competed in NHRA’s A/SP, AA/SP, B/SP and C/SP classes and literally cleaned house. It set all new records in the ’65 season and won the NHRA Springnationals, Winternationals and U.S. Indy Nationals that year. The Cobra was so successful that it overshadowed Shelby’s factory-sponsored DragonSnake, much to the dismay of Mr. Shelby. Factory support for the privateer effort began to dry up as a result.

Later, with subsequent owner Ed Hedrick behind the wheel, CSX 2093 went on to win the ’66 Springnationals and U.S. Nationals. It also chalked up class wins at the 1967 Springnationals, Winternationals, U.S. Indy Nationals, as well as securing that year’s World Points Championship. It continued to set records for the rest of the ’67 season. All told, CSX 2093 held national titles in four separate classes.

The Costilow/Larson DragonSnake is in its as-raced condition, including the Weber-carbureted 289 Ford V-8 with sidemount headers, 4-speed transmission, removable hardtop and eye-grabbing magenta metalflake paint.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2010, 08:51 PM

If you would like to see more about the MOTION 427 KING COBRA which will be at MCACN 2010, check out posting at The Car Guy Chronicles,
http://www.carguychronicles.com/2010...eunion-in.html
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 AM

"Interviewing Tony Conover, who found and restored the King Cobra, above, and checking the Shelby Club (SAAC) Registry revealed that in the early-1970s, Clem Hoppe's family had sold the Cobra to Carl Mentz of Reamstown, PA for approximately $6,000. A 428 engine powered it at the time. Mentz, a Cobra enthusiast, bought it cheap knowing that it required a full restoration. It was still a bargain." I think Carl Mentz was also drag racing enthusiast
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 AM

I wonder which Cobra would win a period correct match race, the Motion King Cobra or the Harr Ford Cobra
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From Lance Hill (midyr)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you mind posting the attached pic, which may be of some mild interest. I don't think the car had any connection to Motion, but was rather an official entry by Shelby America themselves.

I just know it was parked in front of me in the staging lanes at the NHRA Nationals in Indianapolis, not even sure if it was 1964 or 65. It could have been '64, when I was in the same class with my '63 split-window fuelie. Maybe somebody can make use of the image, perhaps even ID the car and year.</div></div>

Lance what ever happened to the the 63 splite window Corvette? More info on Dragon Snakes can be found here.

Using a 4.89:1 rear end, the III-D Shelby Cobra outran everything on the drag strip, even the fuel injected big block 'Vettes

http://www.shelbycsxinfo.com/Other/dragonsnakes.html
</div></div>
Attached Images