Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verne_Frantz View Post
That's all good advice and I'm well aware of the limitations of the stock rods. However knowing how his car will be used, I see no harm to keeping the original rods, as long as no one has muffed them up.

Verne
Verne, agree, no harm to keeping the original rods as long as they check out good. New rod bolts a must and check for out of round and straightness and magged for cracks. But like you said if someone did screw them up the vibration could be caused by that and they should be balanced. I a big fan of balancing an engine.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:32 AM

Honestly from what I can see you have a low end rebuild there, do yourselves a favor and find a competent shop to rebuild your engine correctly, especially if its a nice car the engine goes in, you will be happy in the long run.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:37 PM

Just an update for those who are interested. I just heard from him. He was in the hospital for two weeks. A surgery coming up, then he needs to recoup. The engine was picked up and it's at home. When he's able, it will be taken to a good shop to look into it.

Verne
The Following User Says Thank You to Verne_Frantz For This Useful Post:
flyingn (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verne_Frantz View Post
Just an update for those who are interested. I just heard from him. He was in the hospital for two weeks. A surgery coming up, then he needs to recoup. The engine was picked up and it's at home. When he's able, it will be taken to a good shop to look into it.

Verne
Thanks for the update Verne, Sorry about his hospital stay. Hope he gets this 327 figured out. That bottom end needs attention for sure.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:42 PM

Does it have the correct flywheel without an external weight ?
Old 02-11-2021, 11:50 AM

Good morning!!
Question regarding ban617 question, can you explain a wee bit "correct flywheel without an external weight".. Was there ever a crank flange with a weight added to it back in the late 50s and or early 60's? I seem to remember that I have such an sbc crank like this.
Maybe the ole memory is gettin' hazy, but .... ???
Take care gentlemen!
Ted
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 PM

He may be referencing the SBC 400 or BBC 454 flexplate/flywheel required for external balancing ...
Old 02-13-2021, 08:28 PM

Default 327 serious problem

Check the distributor for mechanical or vacuum advance problems. I've seen first hand where the nylon bushing under the mechanical advance plate where the weights and springs are located crumble and become missing allowing way too much mechanical advance. Try things that do not cost money to begin with. Also check valve guides in head for oiling issues, look for cracked seats in heads. Check oil rings placement and gaps. Also check end gaps on compression rings. For 100 miles, that's a lot of oil on piston tops! Thanks, Don.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Undertaker View Post
Check the distributor for mechanical or vacuum advance problems. I've seen first hand where the nylon bushing under the mechanical advance plate where the weights and springs are located crumble and become missing allowing way too much mechanical advance. Try things that do not cost money to begin with. Also check valve guides in head for oiling issues, look for cracked seats in heads. Check oil rings placement and gaps. Also check end gaps on compression rings. For 100 miles, that's a lot of oil on piston tops! Thanks, Don.
The rebuild from the get go does not sound good for starters. Looks like a lot of small issues leading up to a very bad vibration in the bottom end and then deciding to pull the engine and have it gone thru again. This engine needs to be completely torn down and everything visually checked, then parts magged, check for straightness, out of round rods and crank tolerances measured. Were the correct parts used. Highly recommend a balance job also.

Last edited by RALLY; 02-13-2021 at 09:28 PM.