Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 02-16-2024, 06:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanks guys! Magazine is available for purchase online or at Barnes & Noble book stores.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:58 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

Loos fantastic. Great job!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following User Says Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
Chuck_Burg (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 10:07 PM

Long Beach....I thought I recognized those houses as I grew up there. How close are you to Millikan?
Chuck_Burg (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 10:16 PM

I live very close to Millikan. My mother in law went there, class of 73!
Old 02-16-2024, 10:24 PM

I absolutely love everything about this car. Well done!
The Following User Says Thank You to LS7 For This Useful Post:
Chuck_Burg (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Burg View Post
I live very close to Millikan. My mother in law went there, class of 73!
Class of '76 here. I have a couple of good friends from her class. There was great street racing in that area. Between the hills by El Dorado Park on either Spring St or Wardlow Road. One of my friends had a gold Camaro just like yours at Millikan in 1975 and 1976 with a 327.
Old 02-17-2024, 12:06 AM

Awesome! Yes that is right near my house.... My father in law went to Lakewood High, class of '75. He worked at Lucky's Supermarket right by Milliken back then. He had a Rally Green White Stripe 69 Z28 with deluxe dark green comfortweave!!! RS too. He had Appliance headers on it and Lakewood traction bars.... His buddy had a Hugger Orange one with black stripes... around 1973-1975. What a time that must've been. I tried to replicate that with my car
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck_Burg For This Useful Post:
SS4Real (02-17-2024)
Old Today, 05:35 PM

There hasn't been an update with the car for a while, other than the magazine deal, which was photographed last summer.

After the fuel delivery mishaps at the track I began discussing solutions with people smarter than myself. One initial idea we came up with was to perform a fuel flow test with the engine running in neutral. I would remove the fuel line from the rear bowl and run the engine for 12 seconds and see how much fuel pumps into a can. I collected about 28 ounces of fuel, so less than 1 quart. We figure the engine probably consumes about 1 quart of fuel in the 1/4 mile so the system is probably on the ragged edge. Obviously this test doesn't take many other factors into consideration: G-Force, aeration, slosh etc.

I went to work to upgrade fuel delivery. I decided to add 1/2" hard line from the tank to the fuel pump. I dropped the tank and added a 1/2" sending unit and removed the sock filter. I also took the liberty of adding a much larger Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump. Once I finished up the new plumbing I started the engine and discovered smoke coming from the breathers and dipstick tube Uh Oh this can't be good

Unfortunately I hurt the motor at the track and roasted two pistons. A combination of lean condition and fuel starvation ultimately led to extreme detonation. Piston rings closed up on number 4 and 7, fractured the ring lands, and slightly scoured the cylinder walls. Engine coming out now...

SO we pulled the engine and gave it back to VanGordon Racing. Good news, no real damage to block or heads. Jim did a full rebuild with 8 new pistons. Everything rebalanced, machined, new bearings etc. We changed the cam timing a little and swapped the Torker intake for TM2-O Tarantula intake with a 1/2" phenolic carb spacer.

While the engine was out I decided to send my headers out to get sandblasted so I could repaint them. The lean condition did a number on the white coating. A friend of mine works at a shop with a nice blasting cabinet and agreed to blast them for me. I gave him the headers and he put them in the trunk of his car and luck would have it, his car got stolen that night. Great..... NOS Appliance headers... GONE! Literally my favorite day 2 part of the car, GONE. His car was recovered about 150 miles away a month or so later with no headers in the trunk. Before everyone comments, YES, I still look for them on a daily basis. Craigslist, Offer Up, Ebay. You name it, I'm looking.

Here is where SYC comes to the rescue . Over in the Classified Section, I write about this sob story on how my headers were stolen. Jose, JBTech, sold me a used set with some pitting and dents. Thanks buddy! I know a fabricator who was going to use the pitted set as a template and build me a reproduction set..... not cheap! Lots of sympathy from fellow members.... after a couple weeks I get a PM from a guy with ZERO history and an account made that day. GREAT! ANOTHER SCAMMER.... I think about it and think maybe he is a real guy, I'll give him my phone number. The guy calls me right away... "Is this Chuck?" uhhhh yes, yes it is. "Chuck my name is Walter, I have what you need!! I was doing a google search on Appliance headers and came accross this thread!" WHAT???? Anyway Walter is 100% real and the real deal! We become friendly and he sells me the headers. NOS with stickers intact, just shelf wear. THANK YOU Walter, screen name is WalterT. Luckily the fabricator didn't start building the new set, which saved me some coin.

We got the engine back in the car, test fit the "new" headers and they fit perfectly. I successfully had them sandblasted and NOT stolen this time and carefully painted them with white stove paint. I also decided to add a more modern Biondo Racing line lock, since my "NOS" Hurst unit did not work

Anyhow right now we have the 850 jetted 82/83 with 6.5 pv front and rear and it really runs hard! Pulls good to 6000rpm. Some people say you lose bottom end with the Tarantula intake, while that may be true for a 396 or a stock 454, there is no way you'll know the difference in a 496 like this.... It will roast the Pro Tracs in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. In case anyone is wondering, the plenum floor on the TM2-O is 5/8" deeper than the Torker. I think we have solved the fuel delivery issue. I plan on bringing it to a chassis dyno for a solid tune up before I run it too hard....

Seems like the car is now, better than ever

Last edited by Chuck_Burg; Today at 06:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck_Burg For This Useful Post:
jbtech (Today), napa68 (Today), Too Many Projects (Today)
Old Today, 06:27 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,065 Times in 901 Posts

There was a good article about fuel consumption from a Jenkins interview back in the day. It is some interesting reading. I'll dig it up, scan it and post it. Glad to hear it's all on the mend Chuck!