Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Wow!
Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Man...everything Mossport says really rings true. Especially the part about dealers wanting to sell what is in stock. We drove hundreds of miles around PA and MD to multiple dealerships after finding the cars in inventory online that had the colors and options we wanted. Spent two full days doing this. At many of the dealers, we found that the advertised internet price was nowhere close to what they would really sell for based on all the games with incentives, etc. Calling ahead of time didn't help and they will flat-out lie to get you in the door. I hate the car dealer games.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosportGreen66 View Post
I just went through this with my 2019 Sierra Denali purchase in 1/19.

I wanted silver and a sunroof - Duramax plus package and the extended warranty. All else was immaterial except no TV/dvd package.

My take away - all car dealers are all identical. Relationship does not matter. They want to sell you not what you want but only what they have in stock irrespective of the buyer sacrifice.

I had a 2018 year end coupon in hand for over $11k off msrp - Guys, I literally had dealers tell me they would not accept a GM issued coupon. I called no short of 12-15 dealers that listed stock on proprietary websites or third party sites like auto trader. 100% of them played games with internet pricing, hidden fees, and actual stock. It was false advertising. I even spoke with a dealer my family had purchased and leased from in pat... always Denali brand tier. The salesman told me he doesn’t deal in diesel trucks and he couldn’t help. A week after i bought my truck he calls back telling me one showed up without him knowing! Someone at the dealer ordered it! I also had dealers that did not want to dealer swap with one another but if they did swap, the dealer incentives and credit for selling the vehicle was held ransom by the agreeing dealer making it almost impossible to finalize the deal.

I ended up getting my truck from a dealer in MD. I left NY on the 4 hour drive at 6am on a Sunday to get a call from the dealer at 11am saying if I wasn’t on the dealer campus by noon they reserve the right to sell the truck to another party. This was after they took a $5000 deposit on my credit card - I stopped to wash the car a mile down the road prior to trading it in out of respect and good intention. I arrived minutes later. I traded in my former daily driver and the GM told me due to an undisclosed dent on the car, he was either going to cancel the transaction or deduct $500 from the sale of the car. More agony. I could go on and on... the selling dealer registered the truck incorrectly with DMV which resulted in an epic game of telephone tag and ultimately caused my insurance to temporarily terminate... they did not install all elements of the storage compartment package.

What a messy industry. Maybe German brands do it differently? I had an enjoyable experience buying my 2011 WRX from a dealer in PA but all other recent experiences I’ve heard from members and friends seem to share the same sentiment.

Good luck

Dan

Really difficult industry
The old saying goes, "Laws are like sausages. Better not to see them made." I would add that you really don't want to know how business is actually conducted nowadays, especially auto sales.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 PM

WOW!

I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT back in Sept. spent 20 min. on the phone got almost
$13,000 off sticker and went and picked it up.

I would post a pic but for some reason I cant upload from my computer to this site.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Negotiated the one in Texas, agreed on a deal. I went to give my CC for down payment. New car sales manager says let me call you back. A few minutes later a salesman calls and says sorry, car is sold. I ask for the sales manager to call me back as that is who I negotiated with. Think anyone cared to call. Nope.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
WOW!

I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT back in Sept. spent 20 min. on the phone got almost
$13,000 off sticker and went and picked it up.

I would post a pic but for some reason I cant upload from my computer to this site.
Same around here, but we have smaller customer base. When my wife bought her Charger we shopped around for needed "options". Talked with 3 dealers - they darn near arm wrestled for the sale.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 AM

I see Chevy/GMC trucks with good incentives but if you look at the fine print, it’s for an “All Star Edition”......so you have to buy their designated truck or you don’t get the incentives.

I looked all over for a deal on a 6.2 Silverado but the deals weren’t on this truck.....I ended up buying a really nice used one with low miles that was beat to crap!

Now, if you do your homework and wait for the right time, it’s possible to get $11k-$15k off a new Chevy/GMC truck......depending on the dealer and incentives.

My last two trucks that I purchased new, I got around $11k off sticker price.

Back in 2004, I went to a local dealer to trade a truck (S10 Crew Cab) in for a new one. This dealer is 3 miles from my house and they sell.....or at least did sell....about 300 cars a month when GM was making vehicles in Janesville. They told me what I’d get for trade in. Later that day, I called up another small town dealer and asked what he would give me for trade in. He offered me $1400 more than our local dealer, over the phone. I called up the other salesman, who is a long time friend of mine, and told him the situation. He told me they couldn’t give me that much and that $1400 more was a good deal......so I ended up going 25 miles away and get the truck from the small dealer.

My brother has a Chrysler minivan that he purchased in Daytona Florida. He lives in Inverness Florida. Decided he wanted a new one, called the dealer up, made the deal over the phone. My sister in law tells my brother to call them back and have them deliver it. Believe it or not, the dealer delivered that new van to their house.....2 hours away!!!

Kurt

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Well I ended up buying from Galpin Ford in CA. It was the typical back and forth but in the end I'm happy.

Now, I need to arrange shipping to Omaha. I see what my day today will consist of
The Following User Says Thank You to notstock71 For This Useful Post:
dustinm (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Here she is
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to notstock71 For This Useful Post:
69LM1 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM

Amazing what a 30 year difference looks like
Attached Images

Last edited by notstock71; 07-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.