Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 AM

Default Re: 1970 Yenko Deuce II For Sale

How can this guy claim numbers matching when the complete driveline has been replaced? Am I missing something?
Is a 4 speed worth more than and automatic?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Over the years, the meaning of "numbers matching" has evolved with cleverly worded ads to include correct casting numbers and date codes, or restamped components. "Born with drivetrain" is now catching on to better describe the original drivetrain that was installed in the car by the factory.

4 speeds are certainly more desireable to most and hence are more valuable. I would say 15% - 20% more value for a four speed and a much faster sale all things being equal.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can this guy claim numbers matching when the complete driveline has been replaced? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not address this gentlemans truthfulness, nor lack of it. I would say that the last we saw it, it was not a nbrs matching/born with drive line car. What has happened since then, I can't say.

I agree with the 15-20% difference between auto, and 4 spd.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to check my database to determine which car this is, it has quite the history. I saw this car when it was unrestored and still in CT, as follows:

This car spent its early life in Arkansas, and we later learned that it was sold new at Peck Chev in Little Rock. It had a variety of colorful owners while in AR, and eventually migrated to CT with a collector. This collector offered the car to a local enthusiast with a condition that the enthusiast pay $x, restore the car, then they would split the money received that was in excess of $y. The enthusiast was considering it, but needed to know the if the current market value at that time would even exceed $y.

I was on my way to CT in a few days, and ironically received a call from this enthusiast. I needed to negotiate the final details of a corp acquisition, but made time to see the car the night before. I was surprised at what I found, and told the enthusiast the real truth. The owner called while I was under the car, and once he was told about what I thought he promptly replied that I knew nothing about what I was talking about and hung up!

This car had nice sheetmetal, as it appeared to have been replaced and was actually a decent job. There was a recent repaint but it was poor, a lot of dirt, rough patches, tiger stripes, etc.. It was the wrong shade of blue, and it had black stripes installed. The floors were decent, and the frame was ok. It was essentially the start of an amateur resto. That's the good part.

The inerior was a mismatch of deluxe '70 door panels, wrong seats, and a '73 dash pad. There was no engine, but a 'vette LT1 was sitting on a stand nearby - I don't recall the dates. There was no transmission, it was supposedly installed in a van but that was not confirmed. The rear was incorrect, but it was a 12 bolt. There were many small incorrect items, but most of it was just simply missing - no fuel lines, no clips/bolts/brackets, etc... As you know there is a lot of money in the detail items.

My advice to this enthusiast was to 'run'. There was no way he could pay the asking price, dump money into it and get enough profit whereby his 50% share would even remotely cover his resto costs and his buy price. He did exactly that, and sent the car back to the owner.

What is has now in terms of '#'s matching' is open to interpretation.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM

DEUCE Police - on the scene! Good info Marlin!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

I agree...Wow!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

9737 Sports Car Conversion - This deleted F40 and M-20, and added the F-41 suspension (which included the addition of a 13/16" front sway bar and added a rear sway bar, and was originally an SS only option), either the M-21 or 400 Turbo-Hydramatic transmission, and a special heat-treated ring and pinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Marlin and I will always agree to disagree on this point. My COPO came with a M20. Original owner says so and so does Dave Mathers, who ordered both COPO cars. In ALL other Canadian COPO's, whether it be a Camaro or a Chevelle, what ever tranny was ordered on the GM of Canada sheets, that tranny was never deleted like the L78 was.I believe the sports car conversion also deleted the 6 inch wheels, that would have come on a small block car and added 7 inch wheels.
Peter
PS Excellent report Marlin!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Yep, Pete and I agree to just shake hands and leave it be
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 AM

Did the Auto/Stick shifter in the TH400 Deuces use the bolt-on stick or the welded-on version? Thanks, BCD.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:58 AM

bump