Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default Input on new shop

Need to pull my permit for the detached shop pretty soon.
Considerations:
1. It is for working on cars. I don’t plan to do woodworking, or other projects
I need enough room to accommodate two small rooms about 10 x 10. One will be a bathroom (no shower, just a toilet and a deep sink) and will double as the compressor room (walled off) and storage for welders and welding rigs. The other room is what I call the dirty room, which will have a small work bench, a bench grinder that will double as a polisher, my solvent tank, and a sand blast cabinet. Don’t want it too big, as I don’t want to end up storing crap in there. Just do the dirty work without getting a ton of dust and dirt on the projects.
2. Must have room for a two post lift. I already have the lift, a used Ammco ; 137 inches from outside of posts. Has to have room for another vehicle to sit on a flat, for those projects that will take two cars to make one.
3. I don’t want general storage (other than the welding equipment referenced above). Have plenty.
4. I don’t want it big enough to accommodate an “extra” car (afraid I will bring home another project that I don’t’ need… or worse yet, agree to let a buddy store one here). However, if I am taking two to make one, I obviously need a large flat area to place big parts while working on the two cars.
5. Has to be simple enough so I can build it myself. I have plenty of help, and can get electrical and plumbing permits pulled OK. My lots already have water, gas and electricity to them. In fact, there used to be a Sinclair service station on the other end of where I am building.
6. I prefer not to have engineered trusse. I realize that means no clear span of the entire garage. However, because the lift is already something I have to walk around, maybe it wouldn’t be a problem if the inner supports were close to the lift.
So, looks to me like an oversize 3 car garage will work fine for what I need. Has to have 12 foot ceiling in at least one bay to accommodate the Ammco lift.
I found some on line plans that look very close to my specs. 34 wide, 38 deep. Pics attached. First pic is the front of our home when it was in the historic homes tour. Rest of the pics are of the proposed shop. You can see on the last one, that I am considering building doors to match our home’s faux door, even though there are two buildings between the home and the shop. We own those buildings as well.
Where the “lift” sits can be moved a bit forward or back.
Obviously, I don’t want to be cussing those two 5 foot long walls on either side of the lift. Trying to figure out how big a PITA they are going to be. The ones up front and at the doors really don’t bother me at all. In fact the front ones are necessary for me to add the two rooms anyway.

Thoughts?

Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 AM

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default Re: Input on new shop

No input? Any of you guys doing work in a similar shop?

I know we try to be civil here, but don't be afraid of hurting my feelings.

I do plan to go 2 x 6 with the outer walls to allow more insulation, and all the ceiling hights will be about 6 inches taller because of the stemwall type footing I have planned.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanked 1,116 Times in 328 Posts

nothing similar here Lynn. I put the compressor, media cabinet, & boiler (in floor heat) in a small, separate building. That media gets everywhere & the noise of the compressor is annoying.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Whatever closet or small room you put the compressor in put in some egg crate foam or something similar on the walls for sound deadening as well as a venting system to the outside.. Works really well..
Old 01-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Stating you don't want enough space to ad another car to your collection is just too much denial. You will need that space for that unknown car that you just had to have. Build that extra space.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 741 Posts

If you are not using the attic space for storage I'd go with the engineered trusses - they can make pretty much anything you want in terms of span, pitch and ceiling clearance. I'd also think twice about having those walls in between the bays as I think open space seems to work better over time. As your use/needs change you are not encumbered by bearing walls that get in the way.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,597 Posts

----Pay attention to both Charley and Jake. They know what they are talking about. Jake would be a wealth of construction info for you.....Bill S
Old 01-18-2017, 02:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to miket1

Lynn, if you have the space build a 40'x60' w/ a 10'ceiling, 12' is even better using a lift.
I have a 30'x40' unattached work shop and it's too small for me.
I am looking to build a 40x60x12, or 40x80,12'
Plan for future expansion.
Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:50 PM

I'm going to agree with several fols here.

The the biggest you are allowed and can afford. You'll nevere regret the extra space. 30x40 sounds big and looks very large empty. Then you start moving in and accumulating more stuff.

I built 10' 6" ceiling height and should have done 12'. More height with a lift makes everything better when working under the car, expecially if you're taller than 5' 6".

Lastly, I did in-floor radiant heat, and that is the single best decision I made. A warm floor makes the whole shop more comfortable.

Blair
Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 PM

As someone who has grown out of everything I have ever built, GO BIG OR GO HOME! Have you thought of truss construction to eliminate posts in the middle of the structure?
Buddy
P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYNN!! I know the calendar is screwed up, and it's probably tomorrow, but let me be the first to wish you happy birthday!
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new