Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Re: roush mustang value

The Saleen extreme is 550 hp and will smoke a stock Term. 390 hp vs. 550.. Tho the Termonator is a wonderful car..

[ QUOTE ]
My brother inlaw bought '03/'04 Cobra that he paid pretty good money for and thinks it will become the next boss 429 in 20+ yrs. He took the car out and raced an '07 Saleen S281 Exteme and it wasn't even close. He had it by multiple car lengths.
Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts

I'll put in a plug for the Fox 5.0's. I don't see how you can dismiss a car that is rivaled only by 55-57 Chevs or 67-69 Camaros in terms of being a hotrodder's "everyman" car. I personally would pay more for a mint LX 5.0/5sp or '93 Cobra than ANY '94-'04 Mustang of any type, including a Terminator. Not because they're better cars, but because that's what I was into. Finding an unmolested 5.0/5sp Fox is like trying to find a Roadrunner that hasn't had a 440 swapped into it, or a '69 Camaro that hasn't had Z/28 stripes put on it. Just like all of the iconic musclecars, most Fox 5.0's were modified, run hard, and used up. The fact that they were still decent daily drivers only made it worse, because the eastern cars got driven every winter in the salt and those 302's wouldn't blow up, so you always see cars with 100-200K miles on them. Someday I'll find the right LX 5.0 and I expect to pay more than I did for my first '69 Z28 in the mid 90's.

I remember the Dominator cars, but I think the '87-93 era will be the most sought after. As for dealer name cars that most folks never heard of, I could have made that argument 15 or 20 years ago with Dana/Nickey/and yes, YENKO. Not the guys on this board certainly, but most of the general gearhead public? Yeah.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put in a plug for the Fox 5.0's. I don't see how you can dismiss a car that is rivaled only by 55-57 Chevs or 67-69 Camaros in terms of being a hotrodder's "everyman" car. I personally would pay more for a mint LX 5.0/5sp or '93 Cobra than ANY '94-'04 Mustang of any type, including a Terminator. Not because they're better cars, but because that's what I was into. Finding an unmolested 5.0/5sp Fox is like trying to find a Roadrunner that hasn't had a 440 swapped into it, or a '69 Camaro that hasn't had Z/28 stripes put on it. Just like all of the iconic musclecars, most Fox 5.0's were modified, run hard, and used up. The fact that they were still decent daily drivers only made it worse, because the eastern cars got driven every winter in the salt and those 302's wouldn't blow up, so you always see cars with 100-200K miles on them. Someday I'll find the right LX 5.0 and I expect to pay more than I did for my first '69 Z28 in the mid 90's.

I remember the Dominator cars, but I think the '87-93 era will be the most sought after. As for dealer name cars that most folks never heard of, I could have made that argument 15 or 20 years ago with Dana/Nickey/and yes, YENKO. Not the guys on this board certainly, but most of the general gearhead public? Yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth. When I finally decided to get serious and build the notch I'd had in my mind for years, I finally ended paying way too much for an average 4-cylinder car. Not a big deal since everything is being replaced (Full suspension, a 427W, and a TKO 600 ought to get it down the street okay), but these things are getting impossible to find in decent condition.

Side note, while looking for a suitable notch, I was lucky enough to check out a factory black over red 5.0 5-speed 88 notch with ZERO options. It was even a radio delete car. 8,000 original miles and all paper back to the selling dealer. It wasn't what I was looking for, since I intended to modify, but I had to ask the owner what it would take to own it. He smiled and said "More than you have."
Old 07-15-2009, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Around Halloween 1983 I took delivery of a Charcoal Grey/Grey interior 5.0 5 speed. I was looking for a grey car but wanted a stripper. I had seen the 4 speed cars ( really 3 speed with overdrive ) but wanted a 5 speed. A sales guy from Mahwah Ford in NJ called me and said that coming off the train as we speak is a grey 5.0, but not a stripper. . I said I'd be there tomorrow. Went the next day and they had not even dealer prepped the car. They took it from the rear lot hit it with a hoes and gave me the keys. Drove it around the block came back and made the deal. The thought of a 4bbl Holley equiped car in those years was unheard of. Like going back in time. In the next few years I did Day 2 stuff on her. Original block and heads, just bolt on stuff really. I've always kept the original parts. Living in NY I knew this could not survive winters so I garaged it all the time in winter. Always had NY beaters to drive in the snowy months. Well life moved on and the Mustang kept getting pushed further back and Mini vans and small cars took over. Kids, school you guys know the drill. Every so often I would start her up or take her out but not much. In the last 6-7 years I bet I put 400 miles on her, maybe. I recently unburied her again. Changed the oil etc and took her out. What a blast. World class 5 speed with 373 gears and you are off to the races. Unfortunetly around mid way 3rd gear power levels off. Afterall this is a stock 175 hp car, currently maybe 230. Runs 13.70 1/4 around 100. It has 30,000 original miled. Looks good ( NO rust etc )but could use some new paint. The car covers over the years seem to have done more harm then good. Also it has T roofs and the weather stripping should be replaced. Health issues in the 90's almost had me sell her but my wife would not have it. Thanks B eth !! I'm not saying this will be of any great value but an original 4 eye GT might be worth it in a few years since you see less and less. Sorry for the long post but this thread just got me thinking of the old girl again. Once I retire in 3-4 yeras I will do her justice....Geoff
Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM

I had a black-black 1990 5.0 5 speed LX hatch that I drove for about 5 years daily. When I got done with it, it was really beat. 300,000 miles, plently of door dings, etc, driver's seat was shot. However, it would still run 14.0's @ 98 all day on street tires with a few bolt ons. I miss that car. I would take a 1990 black-black 5.0 5 speed stripper notch any day.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Around Halloween 1983 I took delivery of a Charcoal Grey/Grey interior 5.0 5 speed. I was looking for a grey car but wanted a stripper. I had seen the 4 speed cars ( really 3 speed with overdrive ) but wanted a 5 speed. A sales guy from Mahwah Ford in NJ called me and said that coming off the train as we speak is a grey 5.0, but not a stripper. . I said I'd be there tomorrow. Went the next day and they had not even dealer prepped the car. They took it from the rear lot hit it with a hoes and gave me the keys. Drove it around the block came back and made the deal. The thought of a 4bbl Holley equiped car in those years was unheard of. Like going back in time. In the next few years I did Day 2 stuff on her. Original block and heads, just bolt on stuff really. I've always kept the original parts. Living in NY I knew this could not survive winters so I garaged it all the time in winter. Always had NY beaters to drive in the snowy months. Well life moved on and the Mustang kept getting pushed further back and Mini vans and small cars took over. Kids, school you guys know the drill. Every so often I would start her up or take her out but not much. In the last 6-7 years I bet I put 400 miles on her, maybe. I recently unburied her again. Changed the oil etc and took her out. What a blast. World class 5 speed with 373 gears and you are off to the races. Unfortunetly around mid way 3rd gear power levels off. Afterall this is a stock 175 hp car, currently maybe 230. Runs 13.70 1/4 around 100. It has 30,000 original miled. Looks good ( NO rust etc )but could use some new paint. The car covers over the years seem to have done more harm then good. Also it has T roofs and the weather stripping should be replaced. Health issues in the 90's almost had me sell her but my wife would not have it. Thanks B eth !! I'm not saying this will be of any great value but an original 4 eye GT might be worth it in a few years since you see less and less. Sorry for the long post but this thread just got me thinking of the old girl again. Once I retire in 3-4 yeras I will do her justice....Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a factory t-top car is good property. They're neat cars, and it's really cool to hear of one still in the hands of the original owner. Thanks for sharing the story.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 AM

I graduated high school in '91. Back then the 5.0's and Buick turbos were the cars that every kid in school wanted. The Mustangs were used and abused hard. You don't see many good examples left like you used to. The Buicks were always collectibles so there are plenty of low mileage examples out there. Plus they are all the same color aside from the T-types.

Nice 5.0's will be bringing decent money soon. If not already. Who ever thought that late 70's Trans Am cars would bring decent money?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:57 AM

great fox stories! I lived thru the fox vs. Turbo Buick wars in th e80's too. It was a fun time. I would love to find a notch 5 speed fox in the aqua color. wow

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:06 AM

I'd bet every registered person on the site lived through the late 80's early 90's. I am nostalgic for it but it wasn't that long ago.

In 1991 I was a junior in high school. There were several guys with 5.0s and two GNs. Best part is most were mom/dad's car. I was building my 65 L79 Malibu SS with my dad, and I was looking for reassurance it was going to be fast. My dad said this "Ain't no car from the 60's gonna loose to somthing from the 80's". It made me feel great. I was very happy to have the car ready for my Jr Prom and to be able to back that statement up!

Ah, the older I get...

[ QUOTE ]
great fox stories! I lived thru the fox vs. Turbo Buick wars in th e80's too. It was a fun time. I would love to find a notch 5 speed fox in the aqua color. wow

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this one?

I remember the old 5.0 vs. GN shootouts. Good times.