Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Camaros @ Carlisle no more!!

Just found out that Carlisle was never keen on changing event dates and from what I've been told, there have been complaints because carlisle does not work with other clubs......period.

The Camaro Nationals will be held the same weekend for 2011 but they are willing to change the event weekend sometime in the future. At least this is what I was told last night. For the first year, keeping the same date does make sense so hopefully this can be worked out in the future.

Bob
Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Why would keeping the same date make sense, where Camaro owners, judges, vendors and spectators have to choose, other then to go head to head with Carlisle?
Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

You are right Bob, Carlisle was unwilling/unable to move the date - and I think it conflicted with the longer running ACES show. So, given the choice - most devoted club members will support their club event vs. Carlisle.

The NNN club had a nice time at the first show, and it was a Mini-Nats (I think) for the 1st Chapter that year. However, the NNN club has been around going on 30+ years, and believes that having their Annual/Nationals show at a host hotel has fostered this longevity. The show does not break up each night, it just continues in the parking lot, over dinner, with a cruise, in the lobby, etc.... So, I can see why both of these marques don't use the GM/Carlisle show for their Club Nationals.

PS: Just for the record, I've never been paid to bring my car to the SLS, nor was any payment offered, witnessed, mentioned, discussed or suggested.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM

I guess the 'tip of the iceberg' melted away... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

&quot;&quot;I was told by people who work behind the scenes at Carlisle that some cars were being paid to display. I do not doubt my sources. But the bigger picture is this, it's not a game changer issue for moving the event. There were other BIG on-going issues that have been going on long before SLS did their thing.

To me personally, being paid does not bother me. I always am glad to bring cars to the Nats just as you have done in the past with your '67 pace car. I've had the Strickler Z28 car in T building, along with my '67 Z28 survivor. Never expected a nickel. Was glad to do it.

The whole moving thing is very hard for everyone and all in the Camaro hobby. Since Lisa has left Carlisle Productions things in general just became more difficult for all of the staff at ACA. The last thing I want to do is be involved with a change to this event. Especially since we've been doing it at Carlisle since 1999. I looked forward to this event every year and so did the staff at ACA. The Camaro Nats grew from 250-300 cars to an average of 650-700 cars. Our Red, White &amp; Blue concours judging (now called Legends Certification) has been going on now since the early 1990's. We always have more cars than we can judge each year, and have been working in Y building since the show began.

The Frederick Fairgrounds appear to be a better fit for us now and they are more than willing to work with us. We now will have a bigger building than Y building which will make things easier moving the cars around at the event.

Hope to see you there,

Jerry &quot;&quot;
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 PM

Might wanna keep tabs on this thread....

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7256.0
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 PM

That's where I got the update, looks like we should find out soon if/who got paid.

I sort of take offense to Jerry's statement:

&quot;But yet others are being paid to bring in cars......and cars that don't rise to the pedigree of what our organization brings to the table.&quot;

Also, I don't understand the 'YENKO Eater' statement, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 AM

I'm pretty sure no-one will ever know what actually happened. I'm sure it has to do with money and control....sadly <span style="text-decoration: underline">everything</span> revolves around it.

I just wish that cooler heads would have prevailed and a meeting between all the parties happened before the bridge was burned.

Maybe things could have been worked out.....I guess we'll never know.

Man...what a shame.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,342 Posts

Marlin, I don't understand this statement either:

&quot;But yet others are being paid to bring in cars......<span style="text-decoration: underline">and cars that don't rise to the pedigree</span> of what our organization brings to the table.&quot;

Well maybe I do...It was a backhanded comment to all the cars and owners that have participated in the Solid Lifter Showroom. The cars represented in this display are some of the nicest known to exist. There are a host of owners and restorers represented in that building and they are all good guys..Even Dennis Cumby [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 AM

We kept the date the same because people have already made plans (vacation time) to attend the Camaro Nationals in 2011. Since the Camaro Nationals was never a Carlisle Production event, we didn't feel it would be fair to those who plan a year ahead to change the date just because the venue has changed.

The Maryland Camaro Club has provided the setup and day of show support - including the Heartbeat judging for the past 6 years. It was a natural progression for the ACA to ask us to take over doing the administrative end as well. Karl, Rick and Bud are providing support to us and have turned over files of information that they have amassed over the last 12 years. Bud is remaining a very active participant as he is also a member of the MCC.

The decision was a difficult one for the ACA to have to make. This has been their baby for the last 12 years.

We are excited to be working with the staff at the Frederick Fairgrounds and they are excited that we are bringing this caliber of show to their venue.

Please work with us and give us a chance to prove that we can be just as successful as the ACA has been in appealing to ALL Camaro owners - from the original, unrestored first gens to the fifth gen owners who are just as nuts about their cars as we are about ours.

April Alderson, President
Maryland Camaro Club
Old 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paceme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..Even Dennis Cumby [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

</div></div>

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]

Youse gonna have to 'splain dat one to me next week! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]