Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Re: $200K 1969 Z-28

The guy paid 200K for the car, doesn't mean every other one is going to bring that. If a seller thinks his can then put the price on it and see what happens. I think we all get caught up into this. Like Charley said the seller put it up at No reserve and did well, the educated buyer wanted it, so there you go. Simple as that, in my mind it does not have any bearing on what my 69 SHOULD bring today. There were many cars that sold for HALF price of cost. Hope the seller and new owner, Fred, are happy.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM

Something really puzzles me about this 11K mile car.

It was mentioned that the car had yearly maintenance done to it by the Chevy dealer where it was stored.

If the car truly had 11k miles on it, why would the exhaust need to be changed?

Why would the spiral shocks need to be changed??

And who would change-out the plastic windsheild washer bottle with one that came on a '63 Impala????

And the wear on the pedals doesn't sound logical either.

I have seen many 1969 Camaro "survivor" cars, one locally as a matter of fact, with 25K miles on it, and it doesn't have half the things changed like this car.

The pedals, original chambered exhaust and spiral shocks look great.

Additionally, I don't hear of any documention on this 11K mile car also.... Was there a P.O.P., sales docs, etc???

I'm not throwing stones, and yeah I'm jealous (I wish I had 200K+ to blow on a Camaro), but this car seems to have some real issues that will never be resolved, unless one of the previous owners steps up to the plate and tells the real story.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

That was one persons opinion on pedal wear. If you are the service manager of the dealership in 1980, maybe you figure the car needs new shocks. These were not Camaro people.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 AM

Heck fire, if you've ever driven a car with spirals you *do* think it needs new shocks! LOL!!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:11 AM

I can see it next year, 1000 Z 28's at auction for people dreaming of 200k, LOL.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Larry Christensen and I looked this car over pretty closely and here's what we came up with. Here's a list of stuff that was not right so all of you can decide for yourself. I did not like the worn pedal pads. A low mileage car would have pristine pedal pads. This was not a cowl hood car either but yet one was installed? Speedo cable plug was knocked out for wires to run through this hole, There were signs of paint work and clear coating too. Have at it guys, here's the list of issues.

Jerry
1. pedal pads worn
2. spiral shocks missing
3. walker replacement exhaust system
4. 3/4" holes in the core support for hood pins
5. cowl hood was installed, it's not a cowl hood car
6. none of the OEM cowl hardware is there.
7. repro air cleaner with chrome lid
8. intake has been off and there are flat washers under the intake bolts
9. 68 Z28 style smog pump with pressure relief valve
10. smog hoses were replaced with regular hose and non factory stampings
11. water pump replaced
12. master cylinder replaced
13. engine lift hooks and vacuum advance hose clip missing
14. GM glass washer bottle on the fender well
15. black replacement grille that was painted silver
16. has 1970 repro style Firestone F70x15" tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting observations Jerry. I didn't see the car. But based on your observations. I don't see how how this car qualifys as a "True Survivior". 200k for that car is alot of coin. JMHO.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:13 AM

I agree with you Pat. $205,000 even if it was perfect.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:14 AM

No one has mentioned the most obvious reason for the pedal wear, shocks,etc... just how hard were those 11,000 miles put on?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Banned

Charlie brings up many good points here. Yes, you do have to step up to the plate in the seller's seat. You can hit a home run on a sale and it can go the other way too. I've seen that happen many times. In the case of this 69 Z that sold for over $200K, I think it was a dealer that bought the car? Maybe Charlie would know better about who the players are here and can fill us in. Dealers and sellers that are in the business have a much better idea about the market and where to sell. People who don't do this everyday have a much better chance of getting burned. Experience is the key. I would not put the 69 Z28 survivor that I purchased up for sale without a reserve. I work too hard for my money and I'm not going to throw it away on a pipe dream that I'll get $200K for my car but I want fair market value. Most of the nice cars don't even go through auctions, they are sold privately.

Getting back to the green car that sold at BJ. There were more than maintenance issues here. I have seen dozens of survivor cars over the past 20 years or so with more mileage than 12K and in every case, 95% of the original parts were still on the car. 69SS350 brings up very good points about the car as I stated earlier. These are valid issues but if the buyer does not care, than he takes the risk. Barrett Jackson does not set the everyday sales figures for these Camaros but it does raise the sales barometer to a higher level. Count on that.

One last point, after looking through my appraisal records over the past 10 years, every original paint low mileage Camaro that I've inspected has still had it's original exhaust on the car. Think of it this way, if the paint lives in an environment that is healthy to the vehicle, the exhaust system will survive too. Most parts fail because they are in the everyday hostile elements. Cars that live a pampered life will fair much better. Make sense? As to the pedal pads, I looked at the ones in my race car, I have 12 seasons (12 years) of letting the clutch out, braking at 122mph, shifting gears and beating the hell out of the car. The Srickler car's pads are in mint condition compared to the ones in the green Z28. This is one issue that would make me wonder about the true mileage of this Z28. Many certified appraisers look for the same tell tails
Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 AM

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts

OK Jerry, now you are giving away trade secrets. Rick's First Generation will have a switchboard meltdown tomorrow with guys ordering pedal pads!!

Seriously, I for one really appreciate your input. I am almost certain this car was previously discussed either here or at Camaros.net.

I always appreciate Charley's input, and respect his opinion. OK enough butt kissing for now.

Lynn