Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 12-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 67 Z for sale in oh.

????? It is one of approx 602 ever produced 1967 Z28s and it is one of only approx. 200 that have been found and accounted for in the registry.

I'm just glad that someone has taken the time to account for and document these special cars, no matter their condition.

It is a job /task that many will not line up for!!

Many may even have "hidden" historical significance.

If this Z would have happened to be one of the Few delivered to Nickey Chevrolet which were prepped for Road Racing, then I can say, call me what you want, I'd be interested, even without the public VIN and trim tag.

The hidden VIN(S) override the public VIN. Exact "GM" reproduction VINs have been stamped for years. Yes, I know that it is illegal, point is that it gets done.

There are numerous potential tells on an original paint Z28 that will prove with the same degree of accuracy and beyond a reasonable doubt that the car is Indeed a real Z28, even more so than one which may have been totally restored.

If it doesn't trip your trigger, then keep your cash in your pocket.

BTW,

Merry Christmas Everyone
Old 12-25-2008, 12:08 AM

I am looking for a 67z to restore and there are a few out there for sale . The problem is the people that own them have no clue what a correct restoration costs.I do alot of my own work and you cant restore anything for under 40-50k in parts and misc. labor.I added the restoration costs up over and over again on the car I am doing now and it comes out to about 50k. The parts a 67z are always missing are the big ones, 266,wheels,carb,fan and clutch.There is another nice 67z for sale right now,but it is only a shell for 75k. You take 75k plus about 60k to do the car and you are in trouble.I have never seen a 67 worth 140k restored non matching numbers. A nice restorable car is worth about 50k max. The one in Ohio is going to be a tough to sell for any amount of money. A restoration takes alot of time and money and you have to end up with something good when you are done or its not worth it.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Since there is no state-issued replacement VIN for the car which would allow you to title the car, you are risking everything if you buy a car without the original VIN tag.

Add in the fact that it was an alleged insurance claim car (theft recovery? fire? flood?) with no current VIN and you could well be restoring a car for it's original owner who, depending on whether he (or even the original insurance company) was fully paid for the original claim, may still have rights to the car.

I would not even take that car for free! In the event a prior owner popped up, the legal fees defending your "title" to the car would be astronomical.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:03 AM

There are just to many issues. A total loss car that still has the original paint? I remember back then seeing alot of cars with DMV issued VINs but still had the trim tag. If someone is going to buy that car they should have there DMV run a check on that VIN to make sure it is not on something already registered.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Banned

Well guys, the bottom line is this, it's a real 67 Z28, one of 602 built. There are only about 200 known to exist after 20 years of running the national registry.

It's a real red rally sport. Is the seller going to get $29K for this car in its current condition and economy, I doubt it.

I'm sure that anyone on this site would have bought this car if the price was right regardless of the issues??

It's been found, documented and should be restored. It will never have the value of a 67 Z28 with OEM drive train and paperwork, but it's still a real 1967 Z28.

Merry Christmas,

Jerry
Old 12-25-2008, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,342 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Since there is no state-issued replacement VIN for the car which would allow you to title the car, you are risking everything if you buy a car without the original VIN tag.

Add in the fact that it was an alleged insurance claim car (theft recovery? fire? flood?) with no current VIN and you could well be restoring a car for it's original owner who, depending on whether he (or even the original insurance company) was fully paid for the original claim, may still have rights to the car.

I would not even take that car for free! In the event a prior owner popped up, the legal fees defending your "title" to the car would be astronomical.

[/ QUOTE ]

That exact scenario happened with a COPO. The car was stolen, VIN removed and recovered with no VIN. Second owner purchased car with state assigned VIN, eventually the orig (hidden) VIN was discovered and orig owner claimed the car.

Also we don't want to condone the use of repop trim tags or VIN's, thats just bad for the hobby.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 12-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Banned

Not the case with this car, I'm just not at liberty to say what happened here. That's up to my client to share.

How about the two Yenkos with the same vin that came out of Marshall Chevrolet in Reading, PA. I have been working on this case over the past year and a half. Talk about not good for the hobby. NG!

Jerry
Old 12-25-2008, 05:46 AM

It's a good candidate to be a race car like yours Jerry...
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 12-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

James,

That's an option but believe me when I tell you, this car is better off as a budget resto 67 Z28. Trust me, going the NHRA Stock Eliminator route is more $$$$ than a good resto w/ NOS parts. For example, Jerico 4-spd; $4200, Long Shifter; $550, good comp eliminator light weight clutch; $3000, step headers with merge collectors; $3000, Race Pac data logger; $3000, 12-bolt M/W rear axle with light weight spool and rear disc brakes; $4500, and if you get an engine builder to build you a competitive engine as in a 302, 396, etc, figure $15-20K for a turn key 302 from one of the top engine builders. Then you need a nicely set up Holley; $1200, ignition system, fuel system, And on, and on.

Merry Christmas to all,

Jerry
Old 12-25-2008, 06:55 PM

dont forget the trailer!