Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-03-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Yellow Canadian L89

Steve,

That's an interesting perspective.

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Yenko Paid Member

[ QUOTE ]
As in the 5 ZL1's registered last year by one owner

[/ QUOTE ] Not to mention the possibility that someone else did the same thing as well and you dont know about it . There actually could be a few of each??
Old 09-03-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its too easy to build a car with only documentation, especially in Canada. As in the 5 ZL1's registered last year by one owner, its way too easy to register a car with no history in some provinces in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]
GM Canada Documentation tells you what options came with the VIN but buyers should always verify the actual car eg the VIN derivatives on the firewall etc. In the province of Ontario from what I heard lately it is difficult to register an old VIN without proper title and the actual car.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,835 Times in 746 Posts

If this is true, it could be an interesting scenario if the insurance company went out of business or sold. There is a very real possibility that no insurance company makes claim to the vehicles.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Car is for sale on another website as well. Nice to see rare cars with docs . http://www.camaros.net/classifieds/s...130&cat=44 Ad says walnut wheel ,im guessing it should be a rosewood by dec 68 unless Canada did things differently .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's weird. The ad has been pulled after 3 days since this thread has come out. You figure that the owner would use this opportunity to come out and discuss the car and it's abiguities instead of making it disappear for a while.

Nobody who has anything to do with this L89 wants to come forward and discuss the car. Why is that? Such a beautiful car! People would usually be proud to come forward and say I own it or I restored it. Instead, complete silence........
Old 09-03-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused, I thought there was only one documented canadian ZL1. Whats the story on the other 4, are they canadian?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5 they are talking about are these:

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show.../page/1#197782
Old 09-03-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
.... Speculation over the years is that the theft was staged and that they were crushed for an insurance settlement on the cars since no one was buying them....

[/ QUOTE ]

I must correct you Steve. Motown Madman has all 5 sitting in a barn somewhere!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:31 PM

Beautiful job on the L-89 car even if the trim tag is fake. Did anyone notice that the putty used on both the L-89 and Green COPO look the same? Did the same person restore both cars? I believe the putty or filler was installed right after the rivets and then the black firewall paint was applied. The putty on these cars looks like an afterthought.

Paul
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
If this is true, it could be an interesting scenario if the insurance company went out of business or sold. There is a very real possibility that no insurance company makes claim to the vehicles.

[/ QUOTE ]

No such animal. If an insurance company closes it's doors, all the claims, policies, assets and liabilities get sold to/assigned to a sucessor company. That is part of insurance law/regulations. That is why the treasure hunters have such a headache. Remember the Atocha?

http://www.newworldtreasures.com/atochastory.htm

http://www.melfisher.com/

I think it was 20 years for all the claims to be settled between the insurance companies, countries and the IRS being involved.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:07 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Beautiful job on the L-89 car even if the trim tag is fake. Did anyone notice that the putty used on both the L-89 and Green COPO look the same? Did the same person restore both cars? I believe the putty or filler was installed right after the rivets and then the black firewall paint was applied. The putty on these cars looks like an afterthought.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always try to perform a fingerprint comparison of the thumb prints in the two car's putty-filled rivets!

By the way, I wouldn't put too much nefarious evidentiary value in rivet putty: when you strip a firewall with chemical stripper you have to dig the original putty out of those rivets because it will act like a sponge and hold the stripper residue forever. When I cleaned and stripped the upper cowl on my T/A, I ran into the same problem. So I now have the dreaded thumbprint-puttied rivets on my car, too!

Before stripping:

After stripping. Looks like a completely different tag once all the paint layers are gone:

After paint, before thumb-applied putty:

And for security reasons I wont be showing my thumb-printed puttied rivets for fear of someone attempting to match my thumb puttied rivets to other less scrupulous rivet thumb putty application technicians' wares.