Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-18-2021, 04:57 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Hey Roger, where, or when maybe, did you get that photo of an Orange Krate for sale for $75?! That's even way cheap for an offshore repop. Hah, I saw that and immediately started looking for one for The Boy... that must've been a scam. Gah.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,707 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I had the speedo on mine at one point, as well (although it doesn't show in the picture I posted).

A couple sincere questions:

a) On mine the shift knob had a 90 degree bend and the knob was horizontal. Is that a model year thing?

b) Also, mine had a striped slick (although I don't recall if it was a red stripe or, I assume, an orange stripe) rather than the white letter tires shown on yours. Is that a model year thing?

c) How come the collectors always park the bikes with the shifter all the way forward? That would be high gear, and the most difficult gear to take off in when riding.

K
Hi Keith,

a) 1969 model year thing.
Actually ‘69 Krates used three shifter handles. All three had the 90 degree bend before the knob.
1) A straight arm with horizontal round knob.
2) A two bend arm with horizontal round knob.
3) A two bend arm with a barrel knob.
That barrel knob is what they used from that point forward.

b) 1968 and ‘69 used a “colorline silk” on the back which matched the bike.
Yours would have been an Orange line slik. It shows in your highlighted photo.
The RWL Sliks came out in 1970.

BTW, the colorline Slik tires were the coolest.
You could go into your Schwinn dealer and purchase a colorline superior front tire to match the rear. That front tire was extremely rare tire back then and impossible to find today.

c) Collectors preference. Besides, how many of these people actually ride these Krates. I don’t, as they are show and tell only.

Thanks for sharing your Krate, Chris.
Attached Images

Last edited by 60sStuff; 03-18-2021 at 05:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
David Billingsley (03-23-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 05:27 PM

That price is way too cheap!!
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

That $74.99 photo is probably a scam since the reproductions don't have the shifters on the center bar.

IIRC that was one of the reasons that these bikes were killed off back in the 1970's - some type of safety issue back in the day with 1) taking your hands off the handlebars to shift, and 2) losing your nuts if you crashed and slid forward into the shifter. (OUCH)

Last edited by njsteve; 03-18-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
One of the projects dad worked on when he was in CPC Advanced Manufacturing Engineering was the second generation Fiero frame (aka "P2" chassis).

It was to be a space frame construction, and one of the options was a welded tube build - or - tubes with cast connectors at the nodes. As a result he traveled to Schwinn, Hitchner Casting (they make Crane rocker arms, among other recognizable castings) and Mr Gasket to review their various manufacturing processes.

K

(The ended up going with a combination of stamped aluminum and hydroformed aluminum tube, and built and tested a couple parts, before the program was canceled).
There was another BMX cvompany in the late 70's early 80's named I believe VITUS they manufactured Aluminum BMX bikes which were glued together using forged or cast connectors with T6 tubes if not mistaken. EXTREMELY LIGHT and strong.
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 03-18-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgenaddict View Post
There was another BMX cvompany in the late 70's early 80's named I believe VITUS they manufactured Aluminum BMX bikes which were glued together using forged or cast connectors with T6 tubes if not mistaken. EXTREMELY LIGHT and strong.

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/vitus/
Old 03-18-2021, 11:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
My 1970 Raleigh Chopper back when I got it in Summer 1970 and after I restored it around 15 years ago.
My Brother and I both got the Raleigh Choppers about 1970sh? His was same color as yours. Mine was Orange.. The shifter was not like that./ they were round.. I will try to find pics if they exist.. Thanks Steve for posting!!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:32 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Mine is a three-speed. Did you have the 5-speed or more? They had different knobs depending on the number of gears. My brother had a black 5-speed with two shifters side by side and the really tall sissy bar with the pad on top. Also, those knobs had a habit of geeting unscrewed and lost. It was hard to get a corrrect replacement T-bar knob set back then.

This was a girls version I restored for my daughter. Since there was no cross bar, they had the shifter on the center of the handlebars.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-19-2021), PeteLeathersac (03-20-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:10 AM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

I must have been about 12 when I decided a wanted a "Banana Seat" single speed Schwinn bike so I could do jumps and such. So I traded in my Raleigh 3 speed full size and some very hard earned lawn mowing and baby sitting money.

It was great until everyone got on their bikes to take a ride into town which was about 3 miles away and I am peddling my a$$ off trying to stay up with the pack. It lasted about 3 months when to my good fortune it was stolen out of our garage. I took the insurance money and borrowed what I needed from my mom and bought a beautiful lime green metallic Schwinn 10 speed full size bike complete with the racing handlebar.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
mine is a three-speed. Did you have the 5-speed or more? They had different knobs depending on the number of gears. My brother had a black 5-speed with two shifters side by side and the really tall sissy bar with the pad on top. Also, those knobs had a habit of geeting unscrewed and lost. It was hard to get a corrrect replacement t-bar knob set back then.

This was a girls version i restored for my daughter. Since there was no cross bar, they had the shifter on the center of the handlebars.
Name:  raleigh-chopper-mk1.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  34.6 KB identical to this,, 3spd