Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 AM

Exclamation King of the Muscle Cars

Ok, I had a lively discussion with a gentleman here a little bit ago. We were discussing what is the "King of the original Muscle Cars". Lets say 1964-1974 to be all the way fair.

He was steadfast that the 70 Chevelle LS6 was the King of the Muscle Cars and had been proclaimed that by numerous magazines and it is just known as the King.

I took a more rounded approach saying there can be many Kings. Top HP, Top Torque, Best ride, etc... But I had never heard the LS6 proclaimed as "The King" anywhere for anything. Not in Magazines or in person at events such as MCACN or Woodward, etc...

I agree that the LS6 Chevelle is awesome, it is my favorite Chevelle and an all around great car.

What think you guys?!

This is the car that started all this. A 70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4-speed Convertible with A/C I found rotting in a farmers front yard.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAutoArch...1746707516185/
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 AM

I don't think there is a king. Perhaps the 1968 Hemi Super Stock Darts? That's the only thing I can think of that was pretty much the fastest in the day.

'68 Camaro SS (454/TH400, possible L78/M22) LeMans Blue, black deluxe interior, black vinyl top. 3.73- mostly Day 2.
'89 Mustang GT- 3.55, subframe connectors, muffler delete, and a couple other minor mods. Exactly as he wanted it, so how it shall stay

Also:
1995 Ford F-150 XL
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi GTX- #192 of 433

Ain't no fun in viewing your car as an 'investment'. Get out there and beat on it!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

This is something that has been debated for years; some will declare the street Hemis as the king or the LS6 Chevelles or the 1970 Stage 1 Buicks. I think each manufacturer has their "King" and on any given day each one could be the overall king.
In the end, does it really matter?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:01 PM

There are a lot of rare & desirable cars - 71 Hemi Cuda, 69 RA IV Judge, 69 440 6-pack Road Runner, 69 Boss 429, 69 RA IV TA, 70 AMX 69 Z28, 70 RA IV TA, 68 RA II GTO or Bird - 70 LS6 Chevelle is just another one in the pack.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-22-2017, 12:52 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

If there were to be a King...IMO there'd be one in each brand, and although the LS6 Chevelle would be held in high regard, it would not be king among my GM pick. My order might be something like;

Chevrolet = ZL1 (undoubtedly King)
Mopar = Hemi Cuda/Challenger (draw perhaps)
Ford = GT500 Shelby

I'm sure we could go into others lines like Buick, Pontiac etc. where each lineage holds it's own "King" but I'll leave that for another day as the list would no doubt be long.

There are a few collectors around who hold each of these in their collection.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:18 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts

can be a lot of opinions on this as there were many great muscle cars

the LS6 450 HP was a high rating for the 60s and 70s

there was one article back in the day that called the 454 Motion Super Vega ‘King Kong'

it was advertised as a 9sec street car
Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 PM

Thanked 3,868 Times in 1,000 Posts

I think one also has to take into an account availability. LS6 Chevelles were somewhat plentiful when compared to a 68 Hemi Dart or a 69 ZL1 as these could be extremely hard to come by unless you had unlimited funds. If you are including 1964 than the Thunderbolt should rank up there but were no picnic to drive or stop. A 427 Cobra would hold it's own as well but we should talk regular production (500 or more) vs limited or hand built. Besides that the 68 Hemi Darts were not street legal so they should not be included though no one doubts they were absolute brutes. I have always been under the impression that the 70 455 Stage 1 was the top dog in this fight followed by the LS6 and then maybe the 440 Cuda. Hemi cars were fast but they needed to get some speed behind them to show their real potential and they rode, drove and stopped like crap when compared to a Buick or Chevelle. I am obviously biased to an LS6 Chevelle but think with all things considered the Buick would be the winner in that game. Like it has been said a couple of times, pretty much every manufacturer out there had their own "King" that should be well respected and could be the top dog. No one will ever win this argument that has been going on for some 40 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM

i think a guy could isolate year by year and find a winner PER YEAR...but to throw it all together...theres too much to consider

wasnt there a road test where the 70 GS stage one beat everything in its class?..and a corvette isnt in the same class..so that wont wash...

then, what do you do with ringers? like 421 powered GTOs that where passed around the media and where presented as show room stock? and theres others...a super stock dodge or t-bolt..is that a muscle car or a race car? who sets the standard and how do you match it all up? isnt a Royal Bobcat a tuner car? could it be considered the ultimate gen 1 GTO? so is a bob cat a factory car or a dealer modified super car?

yeah then theres super cars...where do they fit in? i dunno..

weight per horse power? then what about an L79 Nova..

i heard a guy tell me the 63 K-code fairlane started the whole muscle car era, and everyone on the planet owes that hat tip to ford..all i could do to not laff and kick him in the balls real good..but, i just smiled and moved on...

..but isnt a muscle car a big motor, light body..wasnt the the way it was conceived and translated in the 80s?(yeah..i was around and had GTOs..a bunch of them)...

like said, a 40 year argument that no one can win...

Last edited by marxjunk; 04-22-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 PM

Just my opinion..but Chrysler Winged cars and the Boss 429s are probably the two most significant muscle cars ever built. The Boss Nine was built to sanction the motor for NASCAR racing. Moreover, everyone knows that the cars were built at Kar Kraft, where the entire front end was modified and in large part, hand-fabricated. For me, these two facts are the reasons why Boss 429s are so collectible and historically significant. At a time when the baddest muscle cars were built on the same line as their more mundane brethren, the Boss 429s and the Winged Warriors from Mopar were sent to Kar Kraft and Creative Industries respectively for extensive modification and final assembly. Consequently, the Boss 429s and the winged cars are as close to a "hand-built" muscle car as you can get.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Default L78 novas

The l78 novas were very strong ,competitive runners back in the day!