Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 08-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Scammed with paypal?

I had a guy contact me about an engine I have for sale. He isn't local and asked if I had paypal.
I was thinking if I ship it and he claims its not what he expected and he gets his money back and I never see my engine again.
Any other problems arise with using paypal?
He did not ask for my bank account to wire money! Yet lol.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:02 PM

Far as I know if he pays you Paypal friends and family he has no recourse its like a gift to you. So long as its not on ebay. Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to lbnaz For This Useful Post:
Billohio (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:19 PM

As mentioned above, with Paypal F&F the buyer can't get a refund. With Paypal Goods & Services the buyer could file a claim for any reason if they wanted to. With G&S it would cost you 3% of the transaction for fees but I would make the buyer pay those fees if you chose to go that route. If he files a claim he has to ship the item back to you with proof of delivery but nothing would stop him from shipping a different engine or something else.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:03 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427.060 View Post
As mentioned above, with Paypal F&F the buyer can't get a refund. With Paypal Goods & Services the buyer could file a claim for any reason if they wanted to. With G&S it would cost you 3% of the transaction for fees but I would make the buyer pay those fees if you chose to go that route. If he files a claim he has to ship the item back to you with proof of delivery but nothing would stop him from shipping a different engine or something else.
this has happened to several of my buddies lately. they return items that were not the ones shipped to them and paypal is not taking care of it. this is why I quit selling my stuff on ebay.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:04 AM

The engine is on racing junk and I did some checking and other people were also getting weird text messages. The first one was ready to paypal me without a phone conversation! Said he was partially deaf. My guess is I could not understand his accent! That was my first experience of putting an ad on there and it didn't appear that you could just have an email contact and not list your phone number. I emailed them and ask if it was possible
Old 08-07-2020, 11:48 AM

A buddy sent a guy door panels, the buyer swapped them for his crappy ones, and got his money back. Gotta do F/F
Old 08-07-2020, 02:12 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts

I was dealing with a guy in AZ from Racing Junk to buy a used blower. I wanted to do an escrow service to buy it so both sides were protected, but he insisted on PayPal. I said OK, let's do PayPal but then he said his account was messed up at his bank and he could only do Friends and Family on PayPal. I told him that I worked in banking for 30+ years and that his bank is either lying to him or something because his PP account really has nothing to do with his bank, and then I told him when he gets his regular PP account fixed, contact me. Glad I bailed on dealing with that guy.
John 10:30
Old 08-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Thanked 4,001 Times in 965 Posts

I recently sold a car, doesn't happen often, so I enlisted my ebay experienced friend Larry to post up with a BIN on the high side. Within hours someone hits BIN, then no deposit or communication. Turns out the scumbag had hacked into a dealers ebay account and done this to others as well, attempting to hack/scam PayPal accounts.

The pittance that Larry charged me for posting was well worth it!!
After re-posting the car sold within hours, clean, smooth transaction, by wire transfer.