Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 06-28-2016, 11:20 PM

Default Read this if you use spray brake cleaner !

Probably all of us have used brake cleaner from a spray can.

The difference between " chlorinated " & " non-chlorinated " can save your life.

I usually buy chlorinated - you seem to get a little more.

Never gave it much thought.

Then I read this:

@ http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html

Jim
Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,674 Times in 500 Posts
Default Re: Read this if you use spray brake cleaner !

Wow...I just pulled a can out of the trash I used on Sunday...the wording matches the info in the link. Of course, I have used it dozens of times before...so, now I have to look for non-chlorinated [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Might be easier to use Simple Green mixed with kero...great degreaser...not sure if it will help your brake shoes [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 AM

that story has been floating around for a few years...its a good read..and so sad..
Old 06-29-2016, 02:42 AM

If you're gonna weld...use Acetone. We use it daily on all our SST pipe after prepping the joints. Cheap, clean and you can weld all day without killing yourself.

BIG
Old 07-01-2016, 07:29 PM

After I posted this on another forum - this guy shared his experience when
he was working on a vehicle that had been <span style="font-weight: bold">bondoed ....</span>

&quot; Brakleen and other volatile solvents of the type will release Phosgene gas when heated or burned. R-12 and other refidgerants as well as PVC plastic pipe will do the same. phosgene gas tirns into hydrochloric acid in your lungs! IT WILL kill you if you are exposed to enough of it. If you are exposed to massive amounts of it, death can come in minutes. severe exposure can lead to lethality in days. Even minor contact can be very harmful, leading to permanent damage to your lungs! Old auto AC leak detectors were called Halide detecters. A small leak of R-12 refridgerant waould cause a propane flame to turn purple, and give off a nasty smell (phosgene gas). HOWEVER - if a large leak was encountered, a large plume of heavy white gas would occur - nearly pure Phosgene gas! in a confined space like a car interior, or a small work bay, the mechanic was in dire straights. halide torches are now illegal for that reason.

When I worked for an auto shop, I decided to braze a new floor into my 66 chevy Biscayne trunk. I did not realize that the old one was heavily sealed with Bondo plastic body repair. The heat turned the plastic into phosgene gas and I was exposed, not realizing that I was being poisoned. 1/2 hour later, I suddenly couldn't breath and developed tunnel vision, while driving. I stopped in the middle of an intersection, and tried to exit my car, and then collapsed. At first a cop thought I was drunk, but an alert nurse who happened on the bscene noted that my fingernails and lips were blue, indicating a lack of oxygen. I spent 2 weeks in an oxygen tent in the hospital, and was told I have lost about 30% lung function - permanently.

If you use these solvents, 1) keep away from heat and open flame. 2) use in a well ventilated area. 3) wear eye protection, and gloves - keep it off your skin! Catch runoff on an absorbant pad and dispose in a METAL can, preferably with a lid. Do not use a plastic can, the solvent may melt it! 4) keep away from children and pets. Most of these solvents are carcinogenic - they can cause cancer. BE SAFE when using them! &quot;

Jim [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]