Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts
Default Re: collector car insurance

Grady, you should be able to get a different rate for the show cars that are not driven....there may be a catch if they are licensed for the road....we have several cars that are just garage queens and never go on the street...we pay less for these. Check it out...

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM

I can see trailer queens, but garage queens???????
Old 12-16-2008, 02:04 AM

Tom, That was not me that posted about cars not driven.
Grady
Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently learned something very interesting that hopefully will be of help to others.

When I purchased my first collector car I called one of the major collector car insurance companies and obtained insurance. As happens to most of us this soon became an addiction and I continued to add cars calling the same insurance company each time. Later I decided to get my dealers license and then added garage liability insurance using the same insurer.

I felt confident that the insurance company was treating me right on the price, but recently I decided to bid out my insurance needs to the other major collector car insurers. The quotes came in almost 40% less than what I was being charged. Point is if you have stayed with the same insurer for some time you might be surprised what you will find out when you bid this out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing,
My dealership has been with the same insurance company for the past 20 years and I decided to get quotes from 2 other companies this fall.Much to my surprise,the quotes came in 40% cheaper!!! Broker explained to me that this is a soft insurance market and they're canibalizing each others business to grab as much money as they can to make up for the investment shortfall they're experiencing.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 AM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 497 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Tom, That was not me that posted about cars not driven.
Grady

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that...just saw the grb and ran with it...since it's not for you ...I take it all back

tw
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 AM

I talked to MK as well and got a great deal on insurance for my L78 car. NJ is very difficult for auto insurance since it has to cover the household. I tried American Collectors here in NJ and they wouldn't cover me because my brother had a speeding ticket in his Honda! Haggerty was ok but still a pain. Talk to MK, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:44 AM

I have had the same issue but came out with a different result. I have used Condon & Skelly for the past 22 yrs . This spring I had concerns about my coverage. I had not gone over it in years. I didnt want to assume it was good enough. I have a collection of 14 Hemis, 6 Pak and other Mopar Musclecars. I spoke to C & S due to the size of the collection we changed the policy over to what they called a "Museum policy". I can still drive each of the cars 2500 miles a year. They sent out an agent and confirmed the structure the cars are stored in. When I checked around with other underwriter the prices I received were about the same as C & D. And now with the Museum Policy, I saved over $400.00 than my previous policy and have more coverage .

Great company to deal with, I have never had an issue with them. They covered my friends RR when he had an accident and I know of others that had to file claims and they had no issues.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 AM

I use J C Taylor. Tried MK but they want your families life history even though they do not drive the cars insured. Price difference was not worth the imfo. Larry.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:53 PM

Tami and Jackie @ MK are the BEST to deal with great service and price.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:51 AM

don't worry I am on top of things.. Grundy is still the cheapest and the biggest and the best. Been doing the classic car insurance for 30 years.. Had em all. No mileage restriction with Grundy like most others too

[ QUOTE ]
"its only Grundy for me. Always treated me wel and great prices.
even have an online quote so thsat you will see what you wil pay instantly
www.grundy.com "

You know, I thought the same way about my current carrier for years. However, when I checked prices last week I was shocked how much I was being overcharged. It is especially irritating that if I had sent my current insurance needs to my current carrier and soon to be previous carrier they would probably have quoted me as a new customer about what the others are. I always found it was easier to keep a customer to find a new one, but apparently that is not the case.

If you have not quoted your needs in the last year or so you may be surprised what you find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.