Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

It gets better.

The plate for '64 was a '62 plate with a metal corner tab added. That also implies the plate for '63 was a '62 plate with a metal corner tab added.

Based on that, I went back and looked at the aforementioned '63 SD Catalina and, sure enough, that plate started out on the '63.

So - I say all this to say - Dad sure got his money's worth out of that plate. Started out with a '62 plate on a '63 and used it all the way up to our new '65.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
big gear head (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 02:56 PM

I'm doing this in reverse order from the way I usually do, but here's the story on our '63 SD Cat:

As I mentioned earlier, Dad was racing Fords in the early 60's (a 60 Ford Convertible, with a Paxton blower on it, you might recall). As the '62 model year progressed and '63 model years drew close he knew that Ford was going to continue to do lightweight packages (fiberglass fenders, etc) for the Galaxie and he wanted one. He started asking his contact at Ford Racing, Dave Evans, about the availability of one of these cars and for factory sponsorship. Dave said "yeah, we are going to do (some certain number) of builds and maybe you can get one of those". Well, the time came and went and....no car. So Dad would call Dave back and Dave would say "yeah, those all had to go to the big name racers....maybe we can get you one from the next batch". The next batch came and went and...no car.

Dad had already met Dick Jesse by this time (another story). Dick, always the consumate salesman, had offered that when Dad was ready to "step up" to a Pontiac to come see him. Dad felt like he was getting the "run around" at Ford* and figured there was no time like the present to make the switch.

His original plan was to buy a used or a leftover '62 Catalina with the aluminum package but Dick persuaded him that he might be able to hook Dad up with a '63 with what he called "the carryover package", at a better price. A few days later Dick called and told Dad to come on down, that he had a car picked out.

They met at Royal and walked out to the Service area. Past the last bay there was a fairly nondescript white Tempest/Lemans coupe and a wagon sitting there - nondescript, that is, until Dick fired the coupe up. The front fenders shook, and the windows shook (and Dad shook!). Dick shut the car off and Dad said "Dick, you know there is no way I could afford a car like that". Dick laughed and said "You're not a big enough shooter to get a car like this. I can't sell you that car anyway....that's George's car" (meaning George Delorean's '63 SD coupe).

Dick also confided that the wagon was to be his own racer. "At least it's an automatic so that YOU can drive it" Dad teased.

Dick admitted that Dad's car was actually over at the Engineering Building on Joslyn Avenue, so they loaded up and headed over. The necessary clearances to get through the gate had already been arranged; they turned the corner and behind the building was a beautiful dark blue '63 Catalina. He learned it was spec'd as follows: Built as a Super Duty car, it was converted over the counter to an "HO" car so that Dad could run B/Stock with it**. It had aluminum fenders, hood and decklid; doors were steel as were the rad support, fender inners and bumper brackets. It had a regular production (ie, "non swiss cheese") frame. Probably the most notable feature, however, was the paint scheme: it was the car that Wangers developed the "Bobcat" appearance package on***. Nocturne blue with the tri color Ventura interior, it had an extra silver stripe around the spear side trim, and silver around the rear face of the deck lid. Eight lug aluminum wheels, with the area between the fins painted blue, the top of the fins painted silver and part of the cap painted blue too (I believe, by looking at the old photo below). Add some wide whitewalls and you have quite a stunning automobile.

Dad was beginning to think that this was too good to be true; another "lark" like the Tempests he had just seen. However, Dick quoted him a price the deal was struck. They headed back over to Royal and within the next few days Dad plunked down $3100 of his hard earned cash and drove home in his first Pontiac racecar.

This is currently my only photograph of the car. I do have some images from old home movies that I am working to recover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvpCR07taY

And a hero card created by Eric White, to make up for the lack of photos:

*In retrospect there may have been some hesitancy from Ford management to give a special car and full factory sponsorship to a Chevrolet diemaker. Dad tried Chevrolet as well but without success. For him to be competetive for 1963 the choice came down to either Dodge or Pontiac (...not a very difficult choice!).

**Not long after this Dad noticed a complete SD top end sitting on the counter at Royal. He started to grab it with the intentions of converting his (supposed) HO car to a Super Duty, but Jesse stopped him. They already had cars running in the higher classes and specifically wanted Dad's car to compete in B/Stock. We could go so far as to speculate that the parts he started to use were the very same ones removed from his car in the first place.

***Jim had taken a special interest in this car while it was in the Royal paint shop. A second car followed, a green one, as well as a third red car.

The "green car":

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-14-2020 at 03:16 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
67since67 (12-15-2020), big gear head (12-14-2020), downunder1 (12-14-2020), markinnaples (12-15-2020), olredalert (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:09 PM

How we lost our first Pontiac:

So, in relatively short order, Dad had gone from "John Q Public Ford racer" to a hotshot Pontiac racer. Although he started out as just another Royal customer, his ability to be down there during the day (since he worked second shift), as well as his budding friendship with Dick Jesse, could be used to their mutual advantage. He was able to hang out, attend press events and test sessions, and help them get some work done. By now the Bobcat package was starting to gel, and Dad was able to bring tripowers home five or six at a time - "Bobcat" them by rejetting, etc - and then bring the completed units back for installation on customer vehicles by Frank Rediker or Charlie Brumfield. Later, the same technique would be used in converting wide ratio 4 speeds into close ratio 4 speeds - again, five or six at a time.

I don't know if it was concious or not but eventually a plan evolved. Quite clever, actually; Dad would run the "sleeper" car: a factory car, with full sponsorship and technical support, but no visible indication to the casual observer other than a set of Royal license plate frames.* Ultimately Dad would end up with a Shell credit card to pay for all his fuel and an open account for any race car parts. A call down to Royal would result in parts being shipped to the Flint bus station via Greyhound, where he could pick them up (many of the parts had red paint on them, indicating "scrap"!). His familiarity with Royal grew and the car was quite successful: never defeated in actual B/S competition and even holding the NHRA B/S record at 13.42 until Art Noey ("Shaker Engineering") came along and bombed the record out of reach.*

However, this familiarity would also lead to the car's demise.

*There was one ocassion where, in an effort to be like everybody else, Dad had some decals made up of his name and had them applied to the side windows. Jesse caught wind of it and had him pull them off. They very much did not want anyone to know who Dad was at the time...

**I emphasize the car's success specifically in B/Stock....but there were some off days. "Farmer" Dismuke was the tech director for NHRA and was known for being pretty tough. He had a ring that he wore and on the underside of the ring was a magnet - specifically for finding fiberglass or aluminum where it wasn't supposed to be. As Dad was in tech for B/Stock Farmer laid his hand on one of those aluminum fenders and said conclusively "B/FX". Instantly agitated, Dad said "I can't run B/FX; this car is a national record holder in B/Stock". Farmer said "I don't care if you are Santa Claus, you're not running that car in B/Stock unless you can show me 49 more just like it!". Dad knew he couldn't be competetive in B/FX, and didn't want to ballast up to C/FX (because Doug Nash was running his Bronco in that class) so he, along with the boys from Royal, decided to park the car for the day. For a discussion on how the rest of the day went see this attached thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=549309
67since67 (12-15-2020), big gear head (12-14-2020), Billohio (12-15-2020), markinnaples (12-15-2020), olredalert (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:10 PM

How we lost our first Pontiac (Part II):

As I mentioned, Dad was becoming more and more familiar with the operations at Royal. Because of this arrangement, he could leave the car at the dealership for upgrades and/or regular maintenance.*

However, being a relatively young man (he was in his mid 20's by now) he was not fully aware of how the car was titled and registered. Dad had the registration, so that he could plate the car and drive it on the street; however, Royal held the title with a "Manufacturer's Lien". The significance of this arrangement would not become apparent until later...

Wangers had been racing his car on the east coast and, in the days of tow bars and flat towing, had a somewhat minor incident on the way back from an event. Minor, but still enough damage that a repair would need to be made and it was determined that the aluminum front end components would need to be replaced. Normally, an extra set of material would be kept in the warehouse for just such an emergency but, for some reason when they went to retrieve this extra material it wasn't there**.

So - now we have a problem. The main Royal showpiece is banged up and there are no replacement parts. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your perspective), they noticed Dad's car sitting, unattended. After checking and finding that Royal held the title, and knowing how expendable these factory/dealership cars were back in the day, it was an easy jump in logic to remove the front clip from Dad's car, make the necessary repairs to Jim's car and scrap the remains of Dad's.

Naturally, when Dad came bopping in off the street later that day or the next, and then comprehended what had happened, he was frantic. Recall that he had paid cash, with his own money, for the purchase of that car. Being a middle class hourly worker, with a new family and starter home, he didn't have that kind of money to just throw away. He ran into Jesse's office and demanded that something be done: either replace his cash, or get him another car, or something!

Jesse, ever the consummate car salesman, calmly and simply said "Van, I want you to settle down. You are all set - your new GTO is here".

So, that brings us back around to the aforementioned '64 GTO.

K

*This also left him open for their unique sense of humor. Jim Wangers had ordered an aluminum third member for his car and was getting quite antsy for its arrival. When it did (finally) show up the mechanics saw it sitting on the floor strapped to a pallet; they noted Dad's car sitting a few bays down and somebody thought it would be hilariously funny to install the carrier in Dad's car and not tell anybody. Dad never noticed until some time later, when he was under the car doing something else. Jim continued to get more and more agitated and finally gave up looking for his aluminum part. I don't think he knows what happened to it to this day. He probably would not find it hilariously funny.

**Some of you are probably familiar with the Johnny Mauro Pikes Peak racecar (most notably from when it was in the Floyd Garrett Musclecar collection). This was a car that was built after the January of 1963 racing ban; it was processed with a steel front clip but was retrofit with aluminum components after the fact. We did not learn of this vehicle until the late 1980's but when we did some things started to make sense. We speculate that this was the extra set of aluminum from the warehouse, sent out to build this vehicle, and why the "extra set" was not present when needed for repairs.

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-14-2020 at 03:17 PM.
big gear head (12-14-2020), downunder1 (12-14-2020), dykstra (12-15-2020), markinnaples (12-15-2020), olredalert (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:21 PM

It's obvious to me - now - why I like those aluminum wheels so much:

Attached Images

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
454_Malibu (12-14-2020), 69b5bee (12-14-2020), Billohio (12-15-2020), bobm67 (12-14-2020), Crush (12-14-2020), dustinm (12-17-2020), dykstra (12-15-2020), earntaz (12-14-2020), flyingn (12-18-2020), L78_Nova (12-15-2020), Lee Stewart (12-14-2020), markinnaples (12-14-2020), olredalert (12-14-2020), PeteLeathersac (12-14-2020), SS427 (12-14-2020), Tenney (12-14-2020), x77-69z28 (12-15-2020), ZAPPER68 (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 04:42 PM

Great car(s), Keith - and fantastic stories and events make 'em cooler, still! Nicely conveyed, as well - thanks for jottin' it all down!
Old 12-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Thanks, Tenn.

Your name came up today over here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=846703

Were yer ears burnin'?

K

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-14-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 PM

Thanked 2,522 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X66 714 View Post
Love the Eco Islander air & water towers that double as the canopy light supports. Also the Martin & Schwartz/Wayne model 80 script top gas pumps. I have those in my own collection...Joe
Tech Inspection for the 1957 Pikes Peak Hill Climb.
This Mobil Station was located in Colorado Springs.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

***Jim had taken a special interest in this car while it was in the Royal paint shop. A second car followed, a green one, as well as a third red car.
I just wanted to quickly point out that you can see one of these special paint Catalinas in the background of this photo, with Ace Jr and Mr Wangers.

In retrospect, we think maybe Jim was prepping this car to be his own driver and Jesse sold it out from under him (not the first time, I'm told) to Dad.

That is perhaps what started Dad and Mr Wangers off on the wrong foot.

K
Attached Images

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 12-14-2020 at 09:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (12-15-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I just wanted to quickly point out that you can see one of these special paint Catalinas in the background of this photo, with Ace Jr and Mr Wangers.

In retrospect, we think maybe Jim was prepping this car to be his own driver and Jesse sold it out from under him (not the first time, I'm told) to Dad.

That is perhaps what started Dad and Mr Wangers off on the wrong foot.

K
i can think of a real big reason why your dad and him didnt get a long. and it certainly wouldnt have been your dad on the wrong side of the tracks.