Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM

Default 1969 ZL1 going to Barrett-Jackson 2012

Greetings All ! I have made the decision to consign my ZL1 to the January auction and would like the members to know my intentions and what I know of this car. It is #9 of the 69 produced, Fred Gibb car, Silver/Black Automatic. Outstanding very high quality restoration completed in the mid 90's, looks to have many excellent NOS pieces and a goal of assembly line correctness except for way over GM quality paint. I have spent much time researching this car to be able to represent it honestly. I will specify a few points of importance but I welcome any inquires prior to the sale and I will gladly share all I have.
1. A real car with clear owner history from new, I have tracked it myself.
2. The real body, NOS quarters & wheelhouses replaced from Drag mods.
3. A real ZL1 motor, NOT the original to the car.
4. Mechanically sorted by me, runs & drives as it should.
5. Previously done Cunneen Report, very concise, very positive opinion.
6. Car did sell in 2006 at auction for over $450,000. Not relevant today.
7. Car needs NOTHING, killer just refreshed condition, appears as new restoration.
And let me clear up one thing before question arises: Yes, this is the car that was in a fire in the Midwest years ago. Building burned, car had damage but mostly cosmetic, paint etc. Car did NOT get "clipped" or rebodied, it got re-restored and photos of building and car are available. Believe me, I did my research prior to writing my check I assure you.
So there you have it. Price ???? Who knows, we shall see. My gut is when the quality of this car is viewed it will do all a ZL1 is worth. This is a GOOD car.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have interest or questions.
Thank You,
George Lyons
Erie, PA
814-450-0926

***Please note George Lyons has provided updated information below, with respect to his ZL1 12/7/11:

CORRECTION/ADDITION to my original post on ZL1 #9

#1 My original research prior to my purchase was NOT correct on what was done to this car in restoration to correct both Drag Race modifications and rust damage. Another body shell, a rust and damage free Norwood shell was used in the restoration. Where this shell was mated to the numbered/dated cowl firewall is still something I am chasing and may have photographs soon to document this. Either way, the body is NOT what I originally was told or what I posted previously. My post was sincere and what I knew at the time. As stated previously, the car will be represented honestly when I become the "seller".

#2 My history I disclosed was correct in reference to the original owner but I had not been successful in contacting him. Thru this site I have now found him, 79 yrs young. Just this week received a package with his buyers copy of Bill of Sale from Fred Gibb Chevrolet, copy of Chevrolet MSO assigned to him, first Ohio title copy in his name and an absolutely awesome 8x10 photo of the car in its first drag mod condition from the summer of 1969. It was raced as Zoo-Loo-One if anybody from the Ohio valley area remembers it.

#3 Well known and respected ZL1 authority Bill Porterfield had in his possession the original Deal Folder from Gibb Chevrolet for this car. Thru this site we connected and just today I received an unbelievable package containing the following: Original Car Shipper Dealer copy, Chevrolet Pre-Delivery Inspection form with Protect-O-Plate imprint, Auto tranport shipping invoice, Gibb Chevrolet inventory sheet showing purchaser and a 1991 letter from Fred Gibb referencing these documents. Pretty cool stuff, Thank You, Bill P.

So there you have it. My intentions were always good and I welcome any private inquiry on this car if you so wish.
Thank You,
George Lyons

I am adding my post from later in the thread because what Floyd Garret said is important and should be read by anyone reading this thread.
-Charley
"This is a car that was restored by Floyd Garrett and he will be the first to tell you he had to replace the body because the orig. was too far gone. He makes no bones about it. He says he would rather use GM pieces than some parts made in China. We all have different views on what constitutes a car and we all have opinions on what is OK to do. Some people think a car in really rough shape should be buried and done. Others like Floyd would rather do what he did and I can't say I disagree with him. Is it a orig body ZL1 ? No but at one point it was and stuff was transferred to another body. In fairness to other ZL1 owners I feel this car is a rung lower on the ZL1 ladder but still better than any ZL1 clone. Alot of ZL1's have issues as they were driven hard like they were meant to do.
I know George hated having this info come up and I hate having to deal with it but for the sake of this site it needed to be disclosed. My goal is to have this site be one that can be trusted for precisely this kind of info. Hopefully people will come here in advance before purchase of rare musclecars like this so they can avoid unpleasant surprises."
Attachments - The Supercar Registry zl1-4.jpg zl1-3.jpg tn_IMG_0562.JPG tn_IMG_0561.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Default Re: 1969 ZL1 going to Barrett-Jackson 2012

George,You need to get in touch with Charley. A friend of the original owner's came up to me at MCACN and offered to provide the current owner of #9 with some original paperwork he had retained. The offer was made out of a desire to put the papers back with the car. Charley has the individual's details, which I passed on to him, so he could pass it on to Steve Davis at BJ since neither of us could remember who had #9 at present.

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Thank You, If this is accurate I need to pursue. Pretty Cool, George
Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Holy Moly great discovery Jeff! George, good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

George

Will you be offering your car w/ or w/o a reserve? This year, as I understand it, BJ is offering reserve auction spots to the higher end cars. If I remember for the Scottsdale show $500K is the minimum threshold for a reserve auction. Good luck on your sale. This will be a highlight of this January's shows with a lot of folks watching with INTEREST!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM

While I know it is controversial, I am going to sell at NO RESERVE, a clear message to buyers "This car is For Sale today, not being appraised". My personal B-J experience over many years as a seller there, has been very good. My cars with one rare exception seem to sell for what I expect and Yes, I have had a few go a bit "crazy" and exceed my expectations.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM

Good luck with the sale George. I hope they give you a good/prime time slot the car deserves.

Hope to see you and the car there.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Yes, going off Saturday evening prime-time. They are doing some group of 50 special cars supposedly not interrupted by commercials. I'm in there I'm told.
Should be exciting, always is Saturday night.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

George,
Good luck with the sale. This was one of the most original ZL1 Camaros to surface years ago. Ed C. told me he should have bought the car; original paint, original spirals, etc. The January sale should be exciting!
Mark
Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Good luck George. Knowing the quality of the stuff that you've had in the past...this car has got to be killer! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]