Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 01:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,707 Times in 723 Posts

Yup, the world always needs change and upgrades just like the automobile.

We will always need to mix Old with New.

I’ll stick with my Old.

Fill-er-up please.

CT.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:59 AM

This is a big issue for our farmers. It's worth the time to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-jBCjtJ88
The Following User Says Thank You to ZiggyL78 For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:54 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astock View Post
Never noticed an increase in our electric bill. Turn on one of the two commercial a/c units on the roof just for a couple days, and it pops us up to the next tier of electric use.

We have two BMW i3's and I would never go back to gas if I had to pick.

I've been driving my wife's i3 while she's in Ohio, and I'm now hooked. I drive it full bore 80% of the time.
Because it's green, I feel privileged to speed. If you steer the car using the crazy amount of torque, it's a blast. Most of the car is made of carbon fiber and weighs in at 2900 lbs.

I paid $9,200 for my daughter's i3, with under 60,000 miles. High tech car, with side, front, and back sensors, along with one pedal driving. Great for a first time driver like my daughter here in S.Ca.
It is not you specifically.

In order to transition to a green economy with electric car ownership the infrastructure will need to be replaced nationwide.

Average house has 100 amp service at the box. Fast charger technology requires 200 amp minimum. Once the breaker boxes are upgraded then the transmission capacity at the street and the grid becomes completely and utterly substandard.

The stated solution for the last 30 years is to press for high speed trains and other forms of mass transit to deal with the problem.

The "problem" as viewed by the planners is that people want to drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:04 PM

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts

"Average house has 100 amp service at the box. Fast charger technology requires 200 amp minimum. Once the breaker boxes are upgraded then the transmission capacity at the street and the grid becomes completely and utterly substandard."

I agree with the premise that we are ill suited to make the transition to ALL electric in short order. The folks pushing for all electric vehicles have not thought through how we are going to produce so much more than we have now. The transition will need to be more gradual. Personally, I believe the transition can be made easily using plug in hybrids. That is what is working for us.

Having said that, 99% of the time, the average consumer will not need to upgrade the home service. We plug Sherri's Ioinic in when we get home from work; into a regular 120 household outlet. It charges overnight. The fast charge technology NORMALLY is only needed on trips.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billohio View Post
I am 35 minutes northwest of Columbus Ohio. We have been getting letters from companies wanting to put solar panels on our fields. Some farmers have shown interest, I am sure my dad would never do it. It does pay good from what I have heard but so far they are just wanting to lock up ground in case they decided to build.
This would be needed for the Green deal to work, but you should hear the back lash from non farmers who dont want to lose being able to see farm ground. There are already groups forming to find a way to keep this from happening by zoning or other ways.
The problem is for those that would not lease for solar panels, there were be even more competition for what ground is left and that will just raise costs. It really doesnt look good for any of us
This is the outcome of SB-6. This legislation bailed out the two nuclear power plants on Lake Erie that were and are getting killed by cheap shale gas (electric) and coal.

The Democrats wanted a clean energy subsidy incorporated into SB-6 and they got it in the form of legislation for solar tax caps and millions in government seed money to start up solar farms.

This is a deal that nobody wanted except the politicians and the solar companies that were set to feed $$$ at the taxpayers expense.

A solar farm should have to pay taxes like the rest of us, and should have the same operational risks and economic risks as any other business.
markinnaples (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:10 PM

I know quite a bit about the solar farm issue as to date my neighbors and I have been successful in blocking an 800 acre solar farm that is planned right down the street.
markinnaples (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:28 PM

If you're concerned about wind and solar farms occupying land then look what is happening in Germany in the relentless search for more coal. One day you're living in your several-hundred year old village and the next there's a open-pit coal mine that can be seen from space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garzweiler_surface_mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hambach_surface_mine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignite
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 427TJ For This Useful Post:
nova7579 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:47 PM

https://www.intechopen.com/books/mod...ctric-vehicles
Old 09-26-2020, 07:57 PM

This sounds interesting.... https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/te...20-mile-range/
Old 09-27-2020, 08:28 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

I gotta second that sentiment of EVs being peppy, Mrs. Anthony's 2019 Bolt scoots and it's a little one - I can't imagine how the big / dual motored Teslas move. We primarily use the household level 2 'slow' charger, but I've gotten low on range and stopped at a fast charger a few times.

That said, we just got back from our 2500 mile road trip through seven states up to Yellowstone and back and we passed this on The 15 - to say it's impressive to see is an understatement. It looks like something out of a James Bond movie that the villain would try to corrupt to burn something...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivanpa...Power_Facility

And yes, we took our little ICE Honda SUV - the EVCS infrastructure isn't where we all want it yet - but we're (I'm helping) working on it. I've permitted about 50 so far for Tesla, Volta, and EA myself through work...

But, I also, will never give up my Big Blocks or an ICE vehicle.

And as I understand it, the EV and EVCS industries are currently (no pun intended) limited by battery technology - both the portable kinds in the cars themselves, but also the stationary ones that we used for BESS (Battery Energy Storage Systems). Once that gets better and the grid updated of course, then they'll be able to do something with all the power that is being generated by personal PV systems, right now, storage of that power is the limiting factor as I hear it.

Cheers all, be well & safe.
Anthony