Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Both look very nice. Ive always had a soft spot for fox notches
Old 07-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Post Sedan View Post
I see Chevy/GMC trucks with good incentives but if you look at the fine print, it’s for an “All Star Edition”......so you have to buy their designated truck or you don’t get the incentives.

I looked all over for a deal on a 6.2 Silverado but the deals weren’t on this truck.....I ended up buying a really nice used one with low miles that was beat to crap!

Now, if you do your homework and wait for the right time, it’s possible to get $11k-$15k off a new Chevy/GMC truck......depending on the dealer and incentives.

My last two trucks that I purchased new, I got around $11k off sticker price.

Kurt

Correct. It seemed last year around Labor Day GM was having a fire sale on the old body style - all trim levels, that is when I jumped on the 6.2. But still All Stars had the most off.

If you can stand the new body Laura GMC has pretty good prices on AT4s.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:31 PM

For anyone looking at new or used, this is a must see. This guy is a Trainer for Dealers and has a number of videos on youtube that will link to this one. Once you watch it you will have a better idea of how to combat the relentless bleeding they do of the consumer.

https://youtu.be/TQeWRRM29PI
Old 07-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

LOL...I was looking to buy one of the newly released IROC-Z Camaros back in the spring of 1985 and this is the same type of guy I visited.
He didn't have the one I wanted in stock,so told me he could do a dealer search,for $100.And if I buy the car from them,they would add that $100 search cost to the agreed upon cost of the car @ that time.Was told that ordering one from the factory would cost more $,then if on the lot from them.
If they can't find the car I wanted,my $100 would be refunded back to me,so I gave them $100,and let them search..I was 21 and this was my first brand spanking new car,so I believed them.
1 week later I haven't heard back,so I call and ask for the salesman,he says they are still searching,as nothing nearby has shown up...1 more week,nothing.
I then seek out other dealerships on my own near me and find "Mr.Ed" Schoenthaler has the exact IROC-Z I wanted in stock on his lot @ his now own personal dealership,which was CrossRoads Chevrolet...(Ironically,Ed was the Hi-Po car salesman @ this exact Dealership where I had just left the $100,back in 1970,Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet)
I walked in,saw it,drove it,came to a fair deal with Ed himself,and left that day with my new IROC-Z.
1 day later I call Fencl-Tufo and ask for my $100 back,they ask why?..I tell them I just bought the exact car I wanted a few miles away from them.They are in disbelief and ask to see the car.I drive over & show them.The salesman tells me he doesn't have the key to the cash box holding my money,and to come back in the AM when the Mgr is there..I leave and come back,only to be told the guy with the key is @ an early lunch..I ask what time should I return,he tells me to try around 5PM..I go back @ 4:50PM and find my salesman has left for the day.I then call Mr.Ed and tell them the run around I'm getting here.Ed calls corporate,corporate calls me for details...The next day that salesman is in my driveway handing me $100 back,with a $20 attached,(interest) for the inconvenience.
He later lost his job a few months I was told.I will never forget his name or face.
Mr.Ed later told me that was why he left Fencl-Tufo,because of their underhanded tactics,and that was not the first time that has happened there.
He thanked me for bringing it to his attention,and even the salesman handing my back my money in our driveway was speechless,and asked,"who are you?"
I said, "I'm friends with Mr.Ed."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
454_Malibu (07-10-2019), 69LM1 (07-10-2019), mockingbird812 (07-10-2019), olredalert (07-11-2019), PeteLeathersac (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM

Maybe someday a dealer will open that realizes volume can be profitable. People will know they are getting a genuine fair price. Building customer relations has just as much value as the sale. Relationships bring repeat business which generates more sales.

My dad was in service for decades. He never sold anything that wasn't needed. He gave customers a heads up on what repairs were coming due so they could plan and budget. Seeing a customer walk in and say just do what is needed because they knew he wouldn't take advantage of them was amazing to me. To this day I still remember that and have the utmost admiration and respect for him.

Maybe that's why car shopping is so difficult, I want to do business where your word and a handshake means something. Your business is nothing without your customers and your employees are your biggest asset. I don't think that business exists.

Last edited by notstock71; 07-10-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
LOL...I was looking to buy one of the newly released IROC-Z Camaros back in the spring of 1985 and this is the same type of guy I visited.
He didn't have the one I wanted in stock,so told me he could do a dealer search,for $100.And if I buy the car from them,they would add that $100 search cost to the agreed upon cost of the car @ that time.Was told that ordering one from the factory would cost more $,then if on the lot from them.
If they can't find the car I wanted,my $100 would be refunded back to me,so I gave them $100,and let them search..I was 21 and this was my first brand spanking new car,so I believed them.
1 week later I haven't heard back,so I call and ask for the salesman,he says they are still searching,as nothing nearby has shown up...1 more week,nothing.
I then seek out other dealerships on my own near me and find "Mr.Ed" Schoenthaler has the exact IROC-Z I wanted in stock on his lot @ his now own personal dealership,which was CrossRoads Chevrolet...(Ironically,Ed was the Hi-Po car salesman @ this exact Dealership where I had just left the $100,back in 1970,Fencl-Tufo Chevrolet)
I walked in,saw it,drove it,came to a fair deal with Ed himself,and left that day with my new IROC-Z.
1 day later I call Fencl-Tufo and ask for my $100 back,they ask why?..I tell them I just bought the exact car I wanted a few miles away from them.They are in disbelief and ask to see the car.I drive over & show them.The salesman tells me he doesn't have the key to the cash box holding my money,and to come back in the AM when the Mgr is there..I leave and come back,only to be told the guy with the key is @ an early lunch..I ask what time should I return,he tells me to try around 5PM..I go back @ 4:50PM and find my salesman has left for the day.I then call Mr.Ed and tell them the run around I'm getting here.Ed calls corporate,corporate calls me for details...The next day that salesman is in my driveway handing me $100 back,with a $20 attached,(interest) for the inconvenience.
He later lost his job a few months I was told.I will never forget his name or face.
Mr.Ed later told me that was why he left Fencl-Tufo,because of their underhanded tactics,and that was not the first time that has happened there.
He thanked me for bringing it to his attention,and even the salesman handing my back my money in our driveway was speechless,and asked,"who are you?"
I said, "I'm friends with Mr.Ed."

Great story Rick!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Default Service Advisors

Quote:
Originally Posted by notstock71 View Post
Maybe someday a dealer will open that realizes volume can be profitable. People will know they are getting a genuine fair price. Building customer relations has just as much value as the sale. Relationships bring repeat business which generates more sales.

My dad was in service for decades. He never sold anything that wasn't needed. He gave customers a heads up on what repairs were coming due so they could plan and budget. Seeing a customer walk in and say just do what is needed because they knew he wouldn't take advantage of them was amazing to me. To this day I still remember that and have the utmost admiration and respect for him.

Maybe that's why car shopping is so difficult, I want to do business where your word and a handshake means something. Your business is nothing without your customers and your employees are your biggest asset. I don't think that business exists.

Sounds like your Dad was a stand up guy, few and far between in Sales and Service. My mom has a 2008 Camry with 28k miles, she went to the dealer for an oil change and was told her water pump was leaking and needed a battery as well, quoted her $1100 and told her the car was unsafe to drive. She called me and I told her to leave after her oil change. The Adviser told her again the car was not safe to drive and tried to scare her in to doing the work. She stood her ground and left. I went over that night to check the car and no leaks and the battery was load tested and fine. Two years later, the water pump is still fine. Needless to say, I called the dealer and they wanted her to come back and make it right but I told them to screw and proceeded to put up detailed reviews everywhere I could which they replied to again, asking me to contact them to make it right which I replied to as well. They prey on people. Not all of them but certainly most of them so proceed with caution. Coincidentally, my father in law brought his 2010 Arcadia (40k miles) to a different dealer and they did the same thing to him but he had the work done. Must be part of a new training to up sell water pumps, who knows. Nothing gives me more pleasure than kicking the sh*t out of a sales guy for an hour and then walking away.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM

Thanked 1,363 Times in 662 Posts

Is this where we vent about bad dealers? If so, here goes. I bought a 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor new in 2005 at the local MB dealer in my town. Got a better deal there than the other dealer I went to, so I was happy. One day I took my car in for service and while waiting for my service manager in the drive-in portico, I saw them bringing in a CLK on a tow truck, rear end first. The tow truck driver was moving pretty good through the service area (faster than he should have) and the front spoiler of the CLK got snagged on the bolted down speed bumps and ripped that thing off with so much force that it shot across three bays. Everyone was watching as it made a pretty loud sound when it came off, but the truck kept going. I looked around for a couple minutes and everyone else just kept on working and minding their own business including all of the service managers, so I went over and picked it up. I saw the woman come around after they dropped her off from the tow truck and went up to her and told her about the spoiler and that she better get the drivers information. She said she was appreciative that I picked it up for her, especially because it had the community gate transponder still zip tied to it. Obviously she was pretty ticked off about the whole deal, and she said she hated the dealer. She said the last time she was there she came in for servicing and they told her she needed tires. She agreed but they wanted to charge her $1600+ for four new ones, so she said she thought she could get a better deal elsewhere and left. She went down the road to Costco right after that and got them for about $800, so while she was in their waiting room she saw the same guy who just told her $1600+ at the MB dealership drive in with another Benz to get tires at Costco. When he came in, she just stood up and looked at him, and he said, "Oh, oops, I guess you got us." They were taking the cars to Costco for the tires and mounting and doubling the price for their customers. What a scam.

The owners of this dealership had a son who was bad news and a few years later were told to sell the dealership and move back to Germany or the son was going to jail.
Craziness all around.
John 10:30
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleone3 View Post
Sounds like your Dad was a stand up guy, few and far between in Sales and Service. My mom has a 2008 Camry with 28k miles, she went to the dealer for an oil change and was told her water pump was leaking and needed a battery as well, quoted her $1100 and told her the car was unsafe to drive. She called me and I told her to leave after her oil change. The Adviser told her again the car was not safe to drive and tried to scare her in to doing the work. She stood her ground and left. I went over that night to check the car and no leaks and the battery was load tested and fine. Two years later, the water pump is still fine. Needless to say, I called the dealer and they wanted her to come back and make it right but I told them to screw and proceeded to put up detailed reviews everywhere I could which they replied to again, asking me to contact them to make it right which I replied to as well. They prey on people. Not all of them but certainly most of them so proceed with caution. Coincidentally, my father in law brought his 2010 Arcadia (40k miles) to a different dealer and they did the same thing to him but he had the work done. Must be part of a new training to up sell water pumps, who knows. Nothing gives me more pleasure than kicking the sh*t out of a sales guy for an hour and then walking away.
GM did have an extended warranty on those Acadia/Enclave/Traverse water pumps
Old 07-12-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

This happened on the Dodge Charger I bought for my wife in '14.

We wanted a white car with red interior and AWD. There was one at a dealer about 50 miles away. Our local dealer was going to get it for us in a dealer trade to close the deal. They pulled the old dealer BS, making us wait around while they checked prices etc., confirmed availability, yada yada... (we were going to pay cash outright with our Chrysler 300 trade in) Finally closing time comes around and they pull out a number that is now $1000 more than we agreed upon and say that's the best we can do.

I walked past the salesman, and the remaining customers and proceeded directly up to the sales manager. I smiled and told him in the loudest "stage whisper" I had, that we were going to buy this car today and your greedy little amateur move just lost our business forever. His face dropped as we walked out. I told him I was blocking their phone number so not to even attempt to call me back.

At 9:00 AM the very next morning I was at that other dealer 50 miles away and made an even better deal on that exact car (It had been sitting on their lot for over two months by then due to the unique paint/interior scheme) and that no other dealer had ever contacted them on it. As they were no longer taking orders for 2014's - the assembly plants were ramping up for the facelifted '15 model year, this car was now distressed merchandise and they really wanted it gone.

We traded in our Chrysler 300 for more money than the other dealer offered, and we were out of the dealer in a couple hours. Everyone was happy. They even gave me 3 years of free oil changes as a bonus.

I was driving home in the new Charger when guess who calls??? The sales manager from the previous night (I forgot to block his number). I stopped him mid-sentence and said: "Ya hear this? (I revved the engine). I just bought that exact car for $2500 less than your deal. You should have taken my offer."

I then hung up and blocked the dealer's number.

I never felt so satisfied over a car deal. :-)

(With all the leftover model year incentives and USAA discounts, combined with the higher trade in value, the final price was below dealer cost)

Last edited by njsteve; 07-12-2019 at 08:47 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
DaveC68 (07-13-2019), dustinm (07-12-2019), markinnaples (07-12-2019), MosportGreen66 (07-13-2019)