Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default First Cars and Musclecars

The world has certainly changed a lot since 1985, when I burned up all $2,600 of my college money to purchase my 1967 Chevelle. I was a sophomore in HS and that car was the world to me. I hung around with the car guys (still do) and learned almost everything I know from working on the car. Much of that experience has saved me thousands of dollars over the years in restoration and daily driver costs. We used to cruise, race and work on the cars weekly if not daily.

When I was a teenager your car was a part of your life (much like the rest of you I imagine). This was especially true of the guys that put together pretty nice cars.

Fast forward to 2015... I still own my 1967 Chevelle and have completed the full resto on it, my son helped with parts and is very active on my garage projects. He is turning 15 and has earned and saved a substantial amount of money (about $10,000). He would like to get a Chevelle - probably a project. Mom isn't real big on the idea, as she was raised that having transportation was enough.

Just wanted to hear about anyone else's experiences like this. I'm totally supportive and frankly can't wait to help him learn how these cars come apart and go together. The car we're considering is a substantial project, has a strong pedigree (SS396, 4 spd, #'s match, with buildsheet), but is a considerable project that needs a mountain of metalwork. With all the different directions kids get pulled in HS what has anyone seen out there?

Any insight is appreciated.

Blair
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 47724.jpg 47723.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 12-08-2015, 02:46 PM

Default Re: First Cars and Musclecars

Blair - love the legacy. Father/son bonding....priceless. Keep us posted!

Old 12-08-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Excellent idea. I learned all my carstuff on my own, starting at age 14 when I convinced my Dad to let me buy a used 1969 Z11 Pace Car Camaro. When we got it home my Mom reminded him that I was 14 and my older brother was the one that just turned 16 and needed a car. (with 5 kids, my Dad forgot which one I was).

I've been including the son (and daughter, who is now in college) for over a decade. They both helped assemble engines when they were in third grade.

Here's our recent project which is actually my son's GreatGrandmother's car.
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...ect#Post449019

Absolutely get a project car for him to play with (but find a nice indestrucible beater for him to learn to drive on). My teenaged son took a summer votech class a few months back and loved the welding instruction portion. And any time I can drag him away from the Xbox is time and effort well spent.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2015, 05:05 PM

I grew up working on cars with my Dad. When I was 14 yrs old, I spent a whole lot of time in the garage helping restore my Dad's '63 Impala SS. I wanted a project of my own.

In 1986, we found my '65 Nova, and Mom and Dad bought it for me for $375. It would become mine after graduation if I kept my grades up, and I had to get a job to earn money to fund the restoration. It was great motivation... kept me out of trouble, as nearly every dime I had went into that car. I still have it today, almost 30 years later.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...ing#Post634196

I say go for it... it will be a great experience for your kid. I learned everything I know about cars wrenching on '60s Chevys in the 1980s. Dad was a novice too, so a lot of the stuff we learned together (bodywork, engines, transmissions, etc). It may not have always came out perfect (the body on my car, for example), but every project was a great learning experience.

I am proud to say that I've never hired anyone to do anything on my Nova. That same DIY attitude has carried to my daily drivers and probably saved me countless dollars in repair bills over my 27 years of driving.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to miket1

In 1989 when my son Chad turned 15 I got him a 1970 Chevelle Malibu in original weathered condition, $1500,, 350-2bbl.,350 turbo, the car was in very good cond, no rust, just ugly., we worked together for a year ,installed a new black interior , sanded and painted in our shop a bright Viper Red ,and a new set of rally wheels, so when he turned 16 he had a beautiful 70 Chevelle, I believe he got a date the first weekend he drove it.

The next year we got another 70 Chevelle Malibu, $1500, 350/2bbl/350 turbo,, no rust but again ugly, installed a spare engine I had , an L79 327, 3000 stall converter, headers only, no exhaust, M&amp;H street wrinkle wall tires so we could go drag racing street stock class on Saturday nights,I always let Chad race it and he loved it, he was very good with wrenches at age 14 from helping me over the years, my goal was to teach him mechanical stuff and how figure out how to fix things while building himself a car to be proud of, and to keep him off the street away from the bad guys in life.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:45 PM

Many of you weren't born yet when this all came down (1958), but my first attempt at modifying a car was my '51 Ford 2-door; I bought it as a clapped-out stocker, pulled the flathead, and installed a '56 Cadillac and Hydra-matic, set back ten inches - my Woodward &quot;sleeper&quot;. Note the custom metalwork that formed the new firewall and tunnel. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]

Fathom Green

CRG
Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 PM

.... That is great that he is helping you and has saved towards his car....

.... but as you know .... restoration work can get to be a real money pit.

.... I would suggest trying to find a car that is already road ready ...or close to it.

.... Keep in mind ...usually kids first cars are Learning tools ... as they may have a fender bender or two.

.... Here are a few cars to check out in your area...

1963 nova

1967 impala

1968 impala SS

1970 chevy c-10

1965 Chevelle Malibu

1967 camaro

1968 Dodge coronet super bee ?

1970 Nova Big Block

1970 Monte Carlo

..... good luck [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Personally, I believe a &quot;done&quot; car kind of defeats the purpose.

Maybe a '80s FOX Mustang, or IROC would be more appropriate to a high schooler's budget. You can scour the junkyards for cheap parts like I did 25+ years ago building my '65 Nova. The 80s-90s stuff is still out there and not completely picked over in many cases.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 PM

X2 on the Fox Mustang.

You will be surprised (or I am) how many parents won't let kids ride in cars without air bags. Make sure he has a car he can enjoy with friends. A bunch of metal work on an old Chevelle is a serious project. Would be nice if he could enjoy several smaller successes with entry level skill.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will be surprised (or I am) how many parents won't let kids ride in cars without air bags. </div></div>

Really? I didn't own anything with an air bag until I was over 30. Surprised we all made it out alive...