Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: First Cars and Musclecars

Thanks for the comments guys. Mostly wondering if other guys have had a similar experience with their kids and how things turned out.

Right now it looks like we're going to give it a shot. Lots of work equals lots of reward.

Besides, I already agreed to get mom a newer car when he gets his license, so transportation for him is on the hand me down plan with no real expense to him.

The 70 Chevelle is his dream, I'm just a willing enabler.

Blair
Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

That '70 Monte Carlo is pretty sweet.
John 10:30
Old 12-08-2015, 11:54 PM

I envy you Blair my kid was into imports and had a Mitsubishi Eclipse with fart cans and a triple stack wing in HS. I don't know where I went wrong! But we built the car together and it was lots of fun.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

.... Here is a nice 1970 chevelle [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]

1970 chevelle

....good luck [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 02-21-2016, 02:50 PM

My automotive interest and knowledge came straight from my dad. He worked at a dodge dealership as a mechanic and restored cars as a hobby. As a kid, I remember hemi and six pack cars being a way of life...it was just normal to have one parked in my driveway. He restored Ford's as a hobby, so there were boss mustangs and Shelby's as well. I never stood a chance.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:19 AM

I'm 16 and have a '96 Dodge (or as the tailgate says, DO G, earning him the name Kipper, best friend chose it, good name for a dog is what he said) Dakota. It's just a V6 right now, but if I can scrounge the cash together, I plan to throw a 5.9 into it.

'68 Camaro SS (454/TH400, possible L78/M22) LeMans Blue, black deluxe interior, black vinyl top. 3.73- mostly Day 2.
'89 Mustang GT- 3.55, subframe connectors, muffler delete, and a couple other minor mods. Exactly as he wanted it, so how it shall stay

Also:
1995 Ford F-150 XL
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi GTX- #192 of 433

Ain't no fun in viewing your car as an 'investment'. Get out there and beat on it!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 AM

my dad drove turds..6 cyl maverics and ford courriers..the old ugly ones..

but i had an uncle that worked at Don Essen chevrolet thru the whole muscle car era..and he was my biggest influence on anything car related..i was fortunate and got to work on cars with him in his prime and we had a blast...hes been gone for more than a decade..but i still dream about him and the cars we built..and every day i think about him or the cars at least once...

too bad my dad had no interest in anything i did..who knows what i could have become...i cant complain because he made sure i made it thru school and college...but as i aged we barely talked...what a waste on my part...i should have done something to get him more involved..he worked at Mc Donnell Douglass and built F-15s and later on the Harriers...he would take us to open house there yearly and i got to sit in an F15..i remember the Harrier was there..but pushed back in the corner and had a few other planes inf front of it...and was bew technology and a secret...kinda

i remeber when Top Gun came out..and my life flashed...i could have been a pilot with some encouragement from him...but..as we say thats all history..his concern was to get us thru school..get a job and get out...and he made sure all 4 of did just that..

NOW is the best time of your kids life..right now..be a part of it..no matter if he drives imports..or muscle cars...just be a part of it..it will be with him for the rest of his life...BUT...make him earn it...stuff given has no value...
Old 02-22-2016, 01:18 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Mine along with my older brother and sister had 1st gen Camaros.. Ever since I was old enough to walk my father had me in the garage or out at the junk yards with him.. I was 13 and when we went to pick up my car from the 2nd owner I couldnt sleep the night before.. I had saved money for years ($400) and luckily my dad was able to help financially with the body work and paint.. It was a powerhouse 307 backed by the trusty pg and 2.73 10 bolt.. My senior year I had saved enough money working at Advance Auto Parts so my father finally agreed to let me build a little 350 back it with a M20 and swapped the rear to a 12 bolt with 3.55 gears. Both my siblings sold theirs not long after high school and I kept mine up until last year when I traded it and a 97 SS 30th Anniversary Camaro vert to my brother for our fathers green L78 SS Camaro (same car in the preservation thread)..

<span style="font-weight: bold">The day we went to look at it..</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes I thought I was king s&amp;@t once we got it home</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">What the car looked like back in 2006</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">And the first car I bought after college.. Now that was a fun ride.. Wish I still had it.. 98 SS</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I spent just about every Tuesday &amp; Saturday night at Beech Bend for test &amp; tune..</span>

So if you couldnt tell I would tell you that is probably one of the best things a father can do with his son.. Cherish it because I can guarantee you he will later on in life..
Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM

My first car. Bought it when I was 15 for $200. It belonged to a lady in town that blew the 301 in it. It had no miles and a near flawless body and interior. I picked up a boat anchor 400 Pontiac out of a 76 Grand Prix with a million miles on it and installed it over the winter. Where you see it parked, is where the block of ice was that I used as a creeper all winter lol
It was a great first car though. Maroon velour interior. Very comfortable. I put an aluminum intake on it and had a full dual exhaust bent up. I threw a set of Keystones on it too.
I ended up selling and having to repossess it from the guy.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Thanked 1,382 Times in 671 Posts

Great stories guys. My first car was a wrecked '76 Camaro Rally Sport, 305 2 BBL auto in light blue and black. Paid $1100 of my own money for it after working for years delivering papers, setting duck pins, scraping the bottom of my uncle's boat, cleaning my other uncle's bar, etc. and borrowing a little from my sister (and promptly paying her back). My dad was an old body man and insurance adjuster in later years and was always able to get me parts for whatever I had. We rebuilt it together and then I wrecked it and we had to get a different sub-frame and got one from a '74 and when we went to swap them out, discovered the '74 was narrower and longer so we broke out the hot knife and cut some holes to make it fit. Against my dad's better judgment, I sanded the entire car down and painted it bright 1980 Corvette Blue. My dad was getting older and wasn't in the best health (emphysema from years of smoking and painting cars with no respirator) so I did some of the bodywork on it alone, but it actually looked pretty good for a rusted and beat Pennsylvania car. Sold it and bought a '78 Trans Am. Man I miss my dad.
John 10:30