Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-04-2015, 02:55 AM

Default Re: BFG Radial TA's vs. GY Polyglas bias plys

Those Eagle STs were VERY popular around our area in the late-'80s. I thought they were a good looking tire that drove well and provided reasonable life. Too bad BFG is practically the only game in town for a "classic" looking white letter radial.

Does anyone recall that there were at least two versions of the eagle ST? The mid-80s version was fiberglass belted with a white eagle head between "eagle" and "ST" and the letters were a little smaller. They became steel belted with no eagle and larger letters by the late-80s.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yea, I remember the first design with the eagle head, and the smaller letters looked good one the muscle cars, I do not have a picture of those, maybe GTO Don has some ?

Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 AM

You are right. The Torino is going to shows and cruises. No long trips unless its in the trailer. Im really thinking hard about the bias plys. Id love to go to MCACN but its a heck of a trip from Jersey!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bashton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A car of this rarity and quality deserves to have the proper bias ply tires. Let's be real...these cars rarely are driven hard and they certainly aren't known for their fine handling characteristics!

Just my personal opinion, but I really hate seeing radial tires on prime examples of 60's and early 70's muscle cars.

BTW...isn't it time for you to join us with your Torino at MCACN? I love that car! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img]

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member </div></div>

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,605 Posts

----The only radials I ever liked the look of are the very early T/As with the small letters. If the tire companies paid any attention to us they would duplicate the small lettering and attempt to sort of square off the shoulders of their radials. They would, at that point be at least more acceptable IMHO......Bill S
Old 03-04-2015, 04:00 PM

I had a very early set of those Belted TA's (60 series) at one time mounted up on some XT's ...Best look for TA's IMHO!

BIG
Old 03-04-2015, 04:41 PM

If you like radials, maybe consider a better look from goodyear, based on the later 70s early 80s type white letters show here. Probably a middle ground idea, if you don't want people to frown on your car because of the ugly BFGs.

You can never beat the look of the goodyear polyglass, getting ready to order L60s for the back of my cuda convert [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires4.html
http://www.widewhitetires.com/musclecar.html
Old 03-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts

One of my daydreams has been for someone to tool up Goodyear Eagle GT repro's but substitute Polyglas/Wide Tread GT style lettering on the sidewall instead of the OWL we had in the 80's. Those tires have a good square shouldered look (better than Eagle ST's in my opinion) and would look great and drive pretty well. 80's Eagle GT sizes would work fine, 215/70/14, 215/65/15, 255/60/15, etc. This can't be too hard to pull off, since other versions tires could be sold to all the 80's restorers as well.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 PM

YES BF Goodrich bias belted T/A's coolest looking tires. A friend had some on his Nova until a few years back he took them of and dumped them for new tires..L60's yet with 1/2 tread left.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:47 PM

I agree with you guys that mentioned that you wish Goodyear would make a radial like the Eagle GT or ST again but with the sidewall white lettering reading Goodyear and Wide Tread GT. I would buy a set of those in an instant.
I have a question too. I currently have modern reproduction Goodyear E70-15's on my '69 Z. I like the looks of them but admittedly they don't handle or behave as well or as smoothly as the modern Goodyear Eagle GTII's I previously had on it. What are the correct alignment settings for the bias-ply tires I currently have on it now? I am thinking that the alignment should be adjusted for the bias-ply tires which was not done when I had them installed. Am I correct in this assumption? That might make the car handle a little better. Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:12 PM

Ok, my opinion. Radials look stupid on a musclecar. Sorry, they do. BFG's, Eagle ST's, whatever... they just look wrong. I have worn out several sets of bias repro tires on several different cars. I just finished putting together a set of Wide Tread GT's because my current set is worn out, and put over 27,000 miles on a '32 highboy with repop bias ply Firestone skinnies on it for every mile. Not just sissy sunny sunday afternoon stuff either.... The car has seen rain, snow, sleet, hail, and multiple 500+ mile trips at 55-75 mph... never a problem. My only gripe is they wear out faster than a radial, but if you have a weekend cruiser they're gonna last you YEARS even if they do only get about 12,000-15,000 miles of wear out of them if you don't want to run them to the cords. I'm just getting ready to mount up my 3rd set on the hot rod. I'd never consider putting radials on it or any old car.