Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-27-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
The 76 has a giant cardboard form that is used instead of the traditional metal rods that run across the ceiling. The factory used a black (in this case) perforated headliner fabric that was spray glued to the cardboard backing. The foam eventually turns to dust and the fabric it was attached to droops. You can purchase a large section of just the thin foam, spray glue it to the cardboard and then spray glue the original black fabric to the foam. Like a giant Oreo cookie. No need to buy new headliner fabric when the original still is OK.
Awesome, thank you Steve. Same process for my C10 though that was red and quite faded so I did get new material but used the same backing. Nice project for a hot day when you can lay it all out and let it cure nice. Appreciate the clarification
Old 01-28-2020, 01:56 AM

That upper cowl paint is original, i have a friend with a original paint bird. The paint is just like this one. the black out painter had a bad day. If you look at the sheet metal stamping details where the black meets the orange. The black is spotted on top of orange as the black ends. If you really enlarge the photo, it is easier to see.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resto4u View Post
That upper cowl paint is original, i have a friend with a original paint bird. The paint is just like this one. the black out painter had a bad day. If you look at the sheet metal stamping details where the black meets the orange. The black is spotted on top of orange as the black ends. If you really enlarge the photo, it is easier to see.
Thanks Resto4u. We went back and forth a bit on this and was initially a concern but Charley jumped in as did another Pontiac guy and your assessment seems to be right on. I think sometimes we forget that in 1976 things were not all done by robots and uniform and there are unique aspects to each facility. Looking forward to getting everything done and taking ownership of this one. Pontiac guy way back when and can't wait to get back driving an extra pedal car. I live in Mass and had friends that worked at GM in Framingham and let's just say they did not seem to be the most concerned with details. I spent many a last call on a Thursday with many of them and I don't think they all went home to sleep before work......
Old 01-28-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
has the dash started curling up at the back edge also on the 900 mile z

Gotta have a dash mat on. These old dash pads can’t get any sun.