Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default Camshaft Guru; Tell me where to start with jets

Apparently, I cannot ask a short question. Even if I did, someone would ask for more info, so, I will just include all I know about this one. Looking for a good starting point on jets and power valve sizes.

I have been asked to get another 302 running good. Guess I did too good a job on the last one, and he referred a friend to me. Because I don't work on cars for a living, I just tell these guys I will track the parts, let them reimburse me and then ask for a donation to our Museum project. Works out well for everybody so far.

Here is what I am working on.

Original 302 motor that supposedly had only 20k miles on it. Suspicious why it would need rebuilt, but it was. Don't know if it was bored, and if so, how much. Don't know the quench. Don't know if they kept compression at or near 11:1. I wish I had more info, but here is all I have.

Still 302 crank, so 3 inch stroke.
Early angle plug iron heads installed.
Hooker Super Comp headers running through a repop chambered exhaust (I know, what a waste... but it isn't my car, so it wasn't my decison).
Factory Z/28 high rise.
Original (not to this car, but correct) 4053 carb jetted 68/76 and stock power valves.
Had a generic points distributor. Put it in my distributor machine and didn't reach full advance until about 4k rpm. I installed the correct guts (532 cam) and recurved it to get full advance in about 2900 rpm. Limited the full advance, so I can run a bit more initial. The vac cannister (stamped 201) did not start moving until 13 inches of vac, and did not fully engage until almost 16. Swapped it out for a B28 can that fully engages at 8 inches.

The carb was leaking something fierce both internally and externally. Ran so bad, I trailered the car here. Good thing. Checked the oil and it was two quarts high with tons of fuel in the oil. Drained the oil overnight, installed new filter and oil. It ran so poorly, I was afraid it had a bad cyl. But, compression test showed all of them to be 130# and all were withing 2#. I changed the plugs. As you can imagine, they were all black. All were gapped close to .060 which isn't going to work with points. I gapped the new plugs at .035.

Since this carb is not original to the car, I have another really nice DZ carb that I am going to install. I test ran it on the last Z I worked on (waiting for his original carb to come back from Eric... which by the way happened at lightning speed) and it ran perfectly. No leaks, great idle, etc. But, that engine was bone stock except for headers.

Other than the angle plug heads, and the headers, the other major mod is a mechanical roller camshaft.

Here is a link to the specs. http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=305&sb=2

Says it has a rough idle.

Doesn't look that radical. Much higher lift than the 30 30 cam or the LT-1 cam, but duration seems to be close.

Finally.... here is my question. If you were installing this carb, what jets and power valve sizes would you start with? I am thinking 72 / 76 with 6.5.

I know the first question is: what vac do I get at idle? I don't know. Ran to crappy and leaked too much gas to get a reading. I realize I may have to pull the carb back off and change jets or pv after I get it running, just looking for a good place to start. On a bone stock 302 Eric recommends "6.5 primary and 8.5 secondary, 72 primary jets (68 was OEM, too lean) and 76 secondary". Just wondering if this cam is radical enough to deviate from that.

Thanks for any help. If I post up another long question, maybe I will get Dave to re-write if for me to make it more entertaining.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...