Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban617 View Post
just a jumper to the solenoid & cable ...

You can't wire a GM new style permanent magnet gear reduction(PMGR) starter like that but it definitely worked on the non permanent magnet starters.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban617 View Post
I know on my 69 big block Nova with 2 1/8 Hooker super comp headers .. I had heat soak issues with the starter & installed a ford starter relay & it definitely helped , also didn’t have any other wires to mess with just a jumper to the solenoid & cable ...
I'm sure mine was heat soak, but I'm pretty surprised. I have plenty of clearance between the headers and the starter and the headers are ceramic coated. Here's a pic.
I went to install the OE GM starter this morning and I realized it only had two posts. They don't have the "R" post anymore for the points distributor. The mini starters are the same. Now I'll have to do a little re-wire because I have the "R" wire triggering a relay to power my Pertronix III unit. I thought about going the Ford relay route, but I'd rather not add anything more if I don't have to. I have one sitting on my bench, but when it comes to my 69, less is more.
I did end up ordering one of those $36. GM starters McCune suggested. How can you beat that? It even includes shipping. It's a reman, but I'm alright with that even though the one I just pulled out was an AC Delco reman. In the last few years, anything I've touched that had AC Delco on it turns to crap. I'm done with them. It's just a name now. No quality from what I can see.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 05-13-2018, 12:07 AM

They make a solenoid with a R terminal for the the gm 6449 starter, they are used on marine applications. Here is the solenoid. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Starter...YAAOSwiylW~q2q
Old 05-13-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCune View Post
They make a solenoid with a R terminal for the the gm 6449 starter, they are used on marine applications. Here is the solenoid. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Starter...YAAOSwiylW~q2q
Excellent. Maybe I'll go that route. Please check out the other thread that I just posted. It might make it not necessary. Thanks.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 PM

My solenoid showed up last night, but of course a 10 min starter swap turned into a couple of hours along with a few cuss words. I swapped the new solenoid on the new starter and installed it. I thought it was odd that I heard my Pertronix relay click when I hooked up the battery. I sat in the driver's seat and saw my brake light on. Hmm... Let's try to turn it over. Not even a click. Dang... I know, I switched the R & S wires right? Switched them once. Nope. Poked around cursing a little. Turned out that the battery cable was turned and touching the R wire somehow. Fixed that. Ok, let's start her up. Nothing. Dangit! Walked away for a few. Came back, pulled the starter to test it. Worked for a minute then nothing. WTH? Wait a minute, that's not just paint. That's an aluminum starter! Friggin' ground. Made up a nice ground, installed everything and whalla. We've got fire. Long story long, some new starters need a separate ground...
So now I'm sitting here in my office, looking out the window at my 69. What a beautiful morning for drive in.
Thanks McCune for all the help. The new solenoid was the way to go.

Something else to add... Installing the GM mini starter is so much nicer than the old iron. They probably weigh 1/2 as much and are half the size. The engine spins over nicer than I could ask for too.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66

Last edited by HawkX66; 05-17-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 PM

That starter grounds to the engine block, the aluminium housing has zero to do with it. I hope you bought the bolts I suggested. Glad it up and running.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCune View Post
That starter grounds to the engine block, the aluminium housing has zero to do with it. I hope you bought the bolts I suggested. Glad it up and running.
I'm not sure why it wasn't grounding then. I know aluminum is conductive, but I figured that's why it wasn't grounding. I dunno, but she's working now and has a better ground... I did remove the paint from the starter mount after I painted the block too, so it's not that.
I already had the bolts from when I removed the original starter when I pulled the engine out of the van it was in. They have the knurling.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM

So was there anything wrong with the original starter that went out on the test drive or was it the same issue? I’m glad to hear you got it worked out.

Jason
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS View Post
So was there anything wrong with the original starter that went out on the test drive or was it the same issue? I’m glad to hear you got it worked out.

Jason
That's a good question, but I don't think it was the same issue. That was a stock style starter and I was even using the starter brace that bolts to the block. That alone would have been a good ground. I'll have to bench test that starter and see what's up. It will probably work on the bench, but I don't have a way to load test it. It was a replacement/rebuilt starter anyway, so I'm not too worried about it. I have an original on my born with motor sitting in the corner.

One more thing to add on the install. I had to clearance the bellhousing dust shield on the bottom slightly. The mini starter nose is a little bigger/shaped differently than the older stock starter. Not a big deal, but it was something else...

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66

Last edited by HawkX66; 05-17-2018 at 02:40 PM.