Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 65 396 cm question

FYI,

D5TE BFA is a Ford / Motorcraft Carb model 2150 for a 1974 - 1980 Ford Truck F through N Series -600 -900 with 330 / 361 / 391 V-8 We used to put power valves and accelerator pumps in these all the time

Bill
Old 07-12-2017, 04:14 PM

So she must have come off a 79 Ford truck. I can't imagine it's worth anything, so in the barn she'll go. I can't throw out a brand new carb. Sue me lol...

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 PM

Advertise it on CL or EB ... someone out there may need it ... TAZ
Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Thanked 1,610 Times in 495 Posts
Post BB Chevy...

If you have a later block it might be a good choice to consider...the early heads have some limitations...but they will help keep the compression ratio up with those small bath tub chambers.

Ditch the carb and get a regular Holley VS unit...there are plenty of them around.

If you are looking for some professional guidance, I would call Eric Jackson at Vintage...he can provide excellent engine advise, parts and tech....and also help you in the carburetor dept...well worth the call.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earntaz View Post
Advertise it on CL or EB ... someone out there may need it ... TAZ
I will at some point. Too many irons in the fire right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
If you have a later block it might be a good choice to consider...the early heads have some limitations...but they will help keep the compression ratio up with those small bath tub chambers.

Ditch the carb and get a regular Holley VS unit...there are plenty of them around.

If you are looking for some professional guidance, I would call Eric Jackson at Vintage...he can provide excellent engine advise, parts and tech....and also help you in the carburetor dept...well worth the call.

-wilma
Putting that carb on it wasn't a consideration. It was just laying on top of the motor when I bought it so they threw it in the deal. I have quite a few carbs in the garage. One is a nice Holley 3310 750cfm that I rebuilt last year for my other motor. She should do just fine. You're right about Eric though. Top notch. Thanks.
I'm leaning more towards the 72 block with the 65 heads. I just think all the little differences in the 65 block wouldn't be worth it for the extra compression that I'm now finding out I might not want. I'm not too worried about the limitations of the heads. I just want a good, reliable power plant that I can cruise and WILL get out of it's own way when I want it too.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
Old 07-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Thanked 1,610 Times in 495 Posts
Post 396 build..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkX66 View Post
I will at some point. Too many irons in the fire right now...

Putting that carb on it wasn't a consideration. It was just laying on top of the motor when I bought it so they threw it in the deal. I have quite a few carbs in the garage. One is a nice Holley 3310 750cfm that I rebuilt last year for my other motor. She should do just fine. You're right about Eric though. Top notch. Thanks.
I'm leaning more towards the 72 block with the 65 heads. I just think all the little differences in the 65 block wouldn't be worth it for the extra compression that I'm now finding out I might not want. I'm not too worried about the limitations of the heads. I just want a good, reliable power plant that I can cruise and WILL get out of it's own way when I want it too.
Your concerns about compression can be remedied by a good build plan for the engine that includes the proper cam shaft. Those old motors built up a lot of cylinder pressure with the low duration cams they were born with. Of course back then leaded hi-test gas was available...it's a little more involved today. Eric could make some good recommendations for engine build components and get you what you need.

Good luck...sounds like a neat project.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
The Following User Says Thank You to WILMASBOYL78 For This Useful Post:
L_e_e (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
Your concerns about compression can be remedied by a good build plan for the engine that includes the proper cam shaft. Those old motors built up a lot of cylinder pressure with the low duration cams they were born with. Of course back then leaded hi-test gas was available...it's a little more involved today. Eric could make some good recommendations for engine build components and get you what you need.

Good luck...sounds like a neat project.

-wilma
Thanks Wilma. I was pretty shocked when I measured and verified the lift on the cam that came out of the 65 motor which appears to have basically stock specs. ~.462/.488. Far cry from the .625/.625 lift on my 494ci. I'm going to leave the compression at 9.25:1 to 9.5:1 and get the right cam for this motor. I think I'm on a good heading now.

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66