Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 09-09-2000, 02:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1969 Yenko Camaro colors?

Does anyone have a theory as to why Yenko only chose six colors to grace the 1969 Yenko Camaro's. You would think that he would have chose also to use white, red and black. He again used the six color option during the 1981 Yenko Turbo Z project. Any thoughts on this topic?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-10-2000, 02:46 PM

Default Re: 1969 Yenko Camaro colors?

Here is my theory: it was all about marketing. He was very motivated in selling these cars so he had to make them "hot". This would explain the four colors that I would call high impact: Hugger Orange, Daytona Yellow, Rally Green, and Lemans Blue. These colors would attract more attention from the younger buyers and thus probably sell more cars. Now for the other two colors it seems it would also make for another marketing idea. Look at the other brands of cars being sold in 69, including GM, and the colors offered. It seems that golds and dk. greens were very popular in the late 60's and may have led to him offering these colors also. I Don't know why he did not offer at least Garnet Red or Dover White, unless he felt these colors should be on the Novas and Chevelles only. Why didn't he offer Daytona Yellow or Monaco (Hugger) Orange on the Chevelles or Novas in 69? Look at Pontiac's Judge, orginally they were only going to be offered in Carousel Red (Monaco Orange) and then Pontiac made a change and offered the Judge in any GTO color including Fathom Green, which was a very popular color on the GTO & Judge. Now for the Turbo Z's I do not know what colors he offered but it would have probably been along the same lines as the three cars I have seen were either red, white, or blue: all very common colors in the early 80's. Thanks for the time as this is just a thought............Rat Pack...........

Old 09-10-2000, 04:49 PM

They did offer Daytona Yellow and Hugger Orange on the Yenko Chevelle's. The Turbo Z colors were red, bright blue, white, brown, silver, and black. You might be on the right train of thought on the color selection for the Camaro's.
BKH
Old 09-10-2000, 06:04 PM

I thought those colors were available but I was told by two other Yenko Chevelle owners that there weren't any built in those colors and that the only yellow was Butternut Yellow. Its funny that both guys have Butternut Yellow Chevelles. How many Daytona Yellow Chevelles were there? Hugger Orange? Just wondering and always willing to learn.....Rat Pack.......
Old 09-11-2000, 12:34 AM

The record that I have for the Chevelles are incomplete at this time but I do have 6 Hugger Orange {2 4-speed and 4 auto's} and six Daytona Yellow all 4-speeds.
BKH
Old 09-11-2000, 01:49 PM

JoeC (who frequents this board) has a Hugger Orange Yenko Chevelle.
Old 09-11-2000, 02:42 PM

It is interesting to note that in 1970, Yenko ordered the Novas in 8 colors but ordered the low impact colors first. There were 3 high impact colors; Huggar Orange, Citrus Green, and Sunflower Yellow. These were all ordered in the later order. It is unknown if Yenko was unaware of these colors when he ordered the first 125 cars on December 16, 1969. I believe that Sunflower Yellow was originally intended to be a Corvette only color, and was not even listed on the color charts until '71. I believe Yenko left nothing to chance when he decided his color selection, and like Rat Pack says, he was surely aware as to what appealled to the market.

Marlin
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 09-11-2000, 07:44 PM

Has there ever been a 69 Yenko Camaro show up in the Roanoke/Martinsville area that was burgandy w/white stripes? I was at Camaro Junction in 1991 and the owner told me about one he bought used in 1971 and then sold to someone locally and he said it was still around. I questioned him about the color but he said that it was an original burgandy car with all of the paperwork. Was there such a car or could it have been a COPO car that had the stuff added later by Yenko? Food for thought............Rat Pack.........
Old 09-11-2000, 08:44 PM

All of the colors that Yenko ordered for the 69 Camaro's are good ones. I have seen or heard of Yenko Camaros in in all 6 colors having both black and white stipes. I have seen all combinations but yellow and white, but have been told that at least one was built that way. The cars could also be ordered without the stripes.
BKH
Old 09-12-2000, 05:59 AM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

A possible reason as to why Yenko only chose six colors for the 1969 Yenko Camaro is in the way he managed his inventory system. Yenko seemed to use the car colors to group the car on his inventory sheet so maybe by limiting the colors it would simplify his inventory tracking and at the same time match the color availability from the assembly plant in the given time frame of the order. I have a œ meet the mean ones! œ ad from a 1969 magazine hanging in my office here and it lists the cars specs but does not reference anything on color availability. Did any of the Yenko ads state in advance, that the Camaro was limited to six colors?