Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default date coded parts from factory installed- Nova 72- Help?

Does anyone know how Chevy built cars on assembly line with the correct date coded parts. My 72 Nova was built in the second week in Feb and when i purchased this car had the original alternator missing. I found one to buy, but hesitate because the date code on the alternator is Jan-6-72. This being said its a month date coded earlier than my Nova was built. Would this be correct or alright to buy and installed seeing the date code is earlier by a month. Any help input is greatly appreciated.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Thanked 1,760 Times in 742 Posts

I have a 3rd week of March 72 built Chevelle and most all of the born with components are dated within 2-3 weeks of the assembly date of the car with a few exceptions, one of which is the alternator which is dated the 1st week of February.

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RPOLS3 For This Useful Post:
RALLY (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 494 Posts
Post Dated Components...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RALLY View Post
Does anyone know how Chevy built cars on assembly line with the correct date coded parts. My 72 Nova was built in the second week in Feb and when i purchased this car had the original alternator missing. I found one to buy, but hesitate because the date code on the alternator is Jan-6-72. This being said its a month date coded earlier than my Nova was built. Would this be correct or alright to buy and installed seeing the date code is earlier by a month. Any help input is greatly appreciated.
Most of the bolt on components were built in batches...so you will find common dates for many items like; carbs, distributors, alternators, etc. Generally 1-3 months before the assembly date of the car is a good rule of thumb. You also need to understand that common parts were built and then distributed to a wide range of assembly plants...so, depending upon sales of certain models, inventory of parts like alternators could be used up quickly or hang around for awhile.

Your one month old alternator is fine...buy it and bolt on.

-wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro
The Following User Says Thank You to WILMASBOYL78 For This Useful Post:
RALLY (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 12:44 PM

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Also make sure that date code on that alternator is a known date,as well as it's stamping being legit too.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Yes its legit. I ended up buying the alternator this morning. All good info guys and great input. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILMASBOYL78 View Post
Most of the bolt on components were built in batches...so you will find common dates for many items like; carbs, distributors, alternators, etc. Generally 1-3 months before the assembly date of the car is a good rule of thumb. You also need to understand that common parts were built and then distributed to a wide range of assembly plants...so, depending upon sales of certain models, inventory of parts like alternators could be used up quickly or hang around for awhile.

Your one month old alternator is fine...buy it and bolt on.

-wilma
I bought the alternator this morning. It will be bolted on and glad i found this correct alternator. Thanks for the great info on build date parts added on the car.