Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 05-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts
Default Re: The New, Newer Project Part Tres...

Great progress.. If you already stated then I apologize but what cleaner did you use on the floors? One the green car I used cheap Dollar Tree oven cleaner & their citrus degreaser on just about everything. Did not harm the paint and I had great results. Also not sure what you plan to use for preservation but I really like the Cosmoline Rust Veto in the aerosol can. Works great and its thin enough that it can be wiped off with alcohol. Just a thought. Keep it up!
Old 05-27-2016, 09:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

On the rear end I used some diluted purple stuff and dishwasher liquid in water. Then I used rags with some diesel fuel on them, paying attention to any paint marks and staying away from them. For the floors I just used the diesel dampened rag and did it all by hand. I split up the floor cleaning process into sections - rear, middle, and front, and spent a day working on each. You can only do so much before all the feeling runs out of your fingers and arms. Boy were my hands and arms hurting after that! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2016, 10:27 PM

Reminds me of my 74 z/28. The orginal owner spray bombed the whole underside when new with black paint.
I have been slowly cleaning it with Easy Off and it seems to do the trick. The paint just melts off and the original finish remains like it was from day one.
The gas tank was painted Black, so when I was getting the fuel sender fixed, I had it out. Easy off worked great. Even chalk marks and the US Steel logo showed up under all that paint. Looks like a brand new tank right now.
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 05-27-2016, 10:48 PM

Look what just came out today in the July issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. I made sure that they interviewed Enrico for the article and they even put in a photo of &quot;Rick&quot; and his lovely bride of 50 years, Lenora in the owner's comments section.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:53 AM

Here's the link to the online article which is accessible if you have a magazine subscription: http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/201...55/3749884.html
Old 05-28-2016, 01:42 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

Very cool! Congrats Steve!!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:52 AM

Nice sentiment on the &quot;Owners View&quot;!!! Congrats!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 AM

Yes, Rick and Lenora are the most amazing couple of car fanatics I have ever met. Can't wait to actually meet them in person in November after all our emails and phone calls over the past three years.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:37 AM

Dodged the biggest bullet ever, today....

I changed the oil today and when I went to check the oil level with the dipstick, the lower portion snapped off!!!! Pontiacs have three combined dipstick tubes that insert sequentially into each other to direct the dipstick into the sump area. I felt something odd and when i pulled the dipstick out, the portion containing the &quot;full&quot; mark and the entire section below it was gone.

The 1973's used the stupidest design you could imagine. They deeply stamped the letters and punched small holes at the various level marks. These all serve as major week points in the metal. When I stuck the dipstick back in it must have gotten bound up for a second and fractured at one of the holes.

I then had to unbolt the A/C compressor and all the brackets to be able to remove the upper tube in case the fragment was still inside it. After an eternity I got the upper tube out. No luck. The fragment was not inside it. I tried using the broken dipstick at that point to gently feel my way down in the middle tube but since the fracture was so sharp, it simply dug it the sides of the tube. I carefully filed the broken edge to make it smooth and tried again. Nothing. The broken section had to be somewhere in the engine.

I drained the fresh oil and found an extendable magnet pickup tool in the toolbox. And after triple checking that the thing would not pull apart once I stuck it in the drain plug hole, I went fishing. An hour of grid searching every square inch of the inside of the oil pan finally resulted in success.

I could not imagine having to pull the engine and drop the pan in this car for something this stupid. Ugh. I need a drink.

Now, does anyone have another 1973 Pontiac dipstick with the deep stamped letters? I don't know if other early years used this dumb design but I compared the 1973 stick to the 1975 dipstick from Gramma's car. The measuring points, length and handle are the same but the font, text and stamping are noticeably different.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:35 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Yikes, that was tense just reading it, lol. Glad you found the broken part. Maybe using a different year dipstick would be a better idea and keep an original one in a box in the garage. Just an idea.
John 10:30